Since some of us aren't familiar with Ben Davis

Chisoxfn

Let's also not forget that he was the 2nd pick in the '95 draft, before Todd Helton, Kerry Wood, Roy Halliday among others. This guys potential is as much as Miguel and maybe a change of scenery will spark it. You aren't the second pick of the draft unless you got some serious potential, hopefully Greg Walker can spark some of it.

Seattle has played like crap this year and maybe they made Davis one of the whipping boys. Especially so with his manager being a former catcher -- and his manager being under the gun with the Piniella comparisons.

Hopefully Sandy can mentor him -- and hopefully Davis will listen.

He's at the make or break point in his career -- and he couldn't ask for a better opportunity. As long as he's solid behind the plate (like Mo) anything with the stick will be a plus.

Seattle has played like crap this year and maybe they made Davis one of the whipping boys. Especially so with his manager being a former catcher -- and his manager being under the gun with the Piniella comparisons.

After seeing the streak he helped put up in TB, is it held that Seattle made a mistake letting Sweet Lou walk?

When looking at Davis 2002 season you'll see he hit an impressive .294 on the road with a .338 OBP, and a .822 OPS.  After the break he hit .294 with 6 HR and 25 RBI in just 102 at bats.  Over 500 at bats, this would project to a tad under 30 HR and once again quite a few RBI.  Of course, this isn't to say he'd actually do those numbers.

All I'm tyring to say is, this guy worked hard and has always been characterized as a good kid who has a tremendous arm (33% thrown out and 44% thrown out recently; 50% this year, but that was 2/4).  He also is good at blocking pitches and has shown a good catchers ERA.  He has also learned from a good fundemental catcher Dan Wilson.  Manager Doug Melvin was frustrated with Davis struggles and it basically got him in the dog house this season.

32-yo Jaimme Burke is a below-average defensive catcher who had a 600 OPS in a Charlotte park against AAA pitching this year. How anybody could think this guy is a viable catching option I have no idea. Pure insanity.

So it's basically Sandy and Ben Davis. Sandy is a below average defensive catcher and a mediocre hitter. Davis is a mediocre hitter but a very good (not great) defensive catcher. Still in his prime.

That he is 2 for 4 in CS in 14 games tells me that teams aren't running on him or his pitching staff.

The more I read about him the more I like about this Ben Davis guy.

He will never be as good a hitter as MO will be after he breaks out but I can see .250+ from him and that is fine.

I still wish we had MO and his speed but Davis is better then anything we have in our Minors :puke