If the Playoffs Started Today

danman31

I know this is the kind of thing that is very stupid at this point in the year, but it is the All-Star break so it's a good time to stop and take a look at the standings.

AL

1. Yankees (AL East)

3. White Sox (AL Central)

2. Texas (AL West)

4. Boston (AL Wild Card)

NL

1. Cardinals (NL Central)

4. Giants (NL Wild Card)

2. Dodgers (NL West)

3. Phillies (NL East)

I know this is the kind of thing that is very stupid at this point in the year, but it is the All-Star break so it's a good time to stop and take a look at the standings.

AL

1. Yankees (AL East)

2. Texas (AL West)

4. Boston (AL Wild Card)

NL

4. Giants (NL Wild Card)

2. Dodgers (NL West)

3. Phillies (NL East)

Works for me, lets just start the playoffs now. :D

It's kind of interesting even with Loaiza struggling would the sox have the best starting pitching out of all those teams? Obviously better then texas, basically the yanks have vazquez with an injured brown and an average mussina, the red sox have schilling but then pedro who just isn't pedro any more and then they'd probably have to throw derek lowe. Kind of interesting to look at it that way but thought I'd throw that out there.

For some reason, I like our chances bettern against NYY in a best of three rather than a best of four.  I dunno why...

Well if you think NYY is the more talented team, then yes, we'd have a better chance in a 5 game series than a 7 games series. The shorter the series the easier it is for the upset.

It's kind of interesting even with Loaiza struggling would the sox have the best starting pitching out of all those teams?  Obviously better then texas, basically the yanks have vazquez with an injured brown and an average mussina,  the red sox have schilling but then pedro who just isn't pedro any more and then they'd probably have to throw derek lowe.  Kind of interesting to look at it that way but thought I'd throw that out there.

Having Garcia, Buehrle, and Garland go against the Yanks would be pretty solid. Garcia has beat them in the past in the post season. I think Buehrle can step up and I feel like Garland could end up being a secret weapon for the White Sox in the playoffs, sort of a Jarod Washburn or Josh Beckett sort of guy.

Well if you think NYY is the more talented team, then yes, we'd have a better chance in a 5 game series than a 7 games series. The shorter the series the easier it is for the upset.

How about we start it out at 5 games and if we need more we play more.. ;)

Let's worry about it when it happens. For all we know Loaiza will figure things out in the second half and be a monster, and our other 3 guys will pitch like they are capable of. If Loaiza can get back on track(by back on track I mean somewhere between ERA of 3.80 and 4.20, not last year's performance), I think our rotation would match up well with anyone in the AL but Oakland, and I like our O and bullpen quite a bit better than Oakland's. I don't really think moving Garland or Esteban to the pen would make a huge difference, niether of them have overpowering stuff. Garland usually seems to come out of the gate well in his starts, but it is totally different coming out of the pen. The Cubs( :fthecubs ) would be much better equipped for this: Zambrano or Clement would be downright nasty coming out of the pen. Adding RJ to the rotation, however, would make quite a difference almost regardless of the rotation you put him in(not sure it would really help the Cubs assuming everyone is healthy, or make a huge difference on Oakland if Zito gets back to Cy Young form).

One of the key points is that Arizona would have to get something that would help out the team in order to deal Randy. Randy is by far their best starter and their best draw, it would be hard to find a package that would help. They would need to get either a young superstar(not happening), 2 solid young players in the majors(doubtful), or 3 stud prospects with two of them being pretty close to the majors. I doubt that will happen. I read in a few places that the only way Randy is moving is if he goes to the DBacks and demands a trade, which he hasn't done yet. Basically, Arizona has virtually no desire to trade him, their hand would have to be forced.

This week in baseball on Sunday before the game commented that the $8 million remaining this year and the $17 million for next year is not deferred... while there have been several articles posted that it IS.. is there any chance the deal was re-worked and it's not..? If he's owed $17 million next year, none deferred, no way he's coming this way. IMO, adding the $8 million this year is a looooong stretch as well.

If Colangelo doesn't want to send him to the Yankees and wants to trade him, I think he's going to have to pick up some salary.

The Yankees seem like a longshot to me, because of the Wells incident and the fact that NYY have zilch in the farm system. It would have to include a third team, imho.

The Cubs( :fthecubs ) would be much better equipped for this: Zambrano or Clement would be downright nasty coming out of the pen.

Well, for the record, Dusty screwed up last year's Cubs chances (and by the way, thanks, Dusty) when in game 7 he flat out refused to use Clement out of the pen, in favor of the immortal Dave Veres. When it comes to using his pitching staff, in Dusty they busty.

He won't be a member of the Yankees.  They have nothing to give up(unless they want to take on 50% of what ARod makes and then trade him to Arizona, and I have my doubts about that one)

Exactly. They're gonna have to give a major leaguer and pay half his salary to get the Diamondbacks talking.

AL

1. Yankees (AL East)

2. Texas (AL West)

4. Boston (AL Wild Card)

NL

4. Giants (NL Wild Card)

2. Dodgers (NL West)

3. Phillies (NL East)

Isn't it always 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.....? Or do records take over?