music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have been trapped in a transitional phase of music in my life. I really like classic rock, I have put Zeppelin, T Rex, The Cars, ELO, Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, Jethro tull, Peter Gabriel, and Pink floyd on my Ipod recently, and i also have my wide array of 90's-2000's rock/rap/jazz on my ipod as well. But nothing new strikes me anymore. I think the radio stations of Chicago have totally deprogrammed me and are forcing me to think outside of the box for new music, but I dont have the time(or the inclination) to research music I would like, so I have stuck to what I really really like(Failure, Brand New, 311, Blinker the Star, etc.) instead of seeking out new music.

Its a really strange phase for me, I used to be "that guy" at our college parties who would break out anything and everything you never knew about and blast it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
I think I have been trapped in a transitional phase of music in my life. I really like classic rock, I have put Zeppelin, T Rex, The Cars, ELO, Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, Jethro tull, Peter Gabriel, and Pink floyd on my Ipod recently, and i also have my wide array of 90's-2000's rock/rap/jazz on my ipod as well. But nothing new strikes me anymore. I think the radio stations of Chicago have totally deprogrammed me and are forcing me to think outside of the box for new music, but I dont have the time(or the inclination) to research music I would like, so I have stuck to what I really really like(Failure, Brand New, 311, Blinker the Star, etc.) instead of seeking out new music.

Its a really strange phase for me, I used to be "that guy" at our college parties who would break out anything and everything you never knew about and blast it.

sounds like your just getting older to me.

new music sucks anyways.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)

I hear ya, most new music just sounds like bands trying to 'outweird' each other. Every once in a while I tune back in and get caught up and find myself being dissapointed or even shocked at what is considered 'good'.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:20 AM)
I hear ya, most new music just sounds like bands trying to 'outweird' each other. Every once in a while I tune back in and get caught up and find myself being dissapointed or even shocked at what is considered 'good'.

whitehouse :headbang

So the past couple of years I've been listening to a local band called Stellar Road, 2004 I think was when their full band album came out and when it was lent to me to listen to I immediately went out and bought it. They're kinda a jam band, similar musically to Hootie and the Blowfish, not nearly as good vocals though.

Since I'm only 18 its hard to see them play at the bars they usually play at, it works sometimes and usually my buddy and I are allowed into Sam Maguires in Orland Park, just so they know we're not drinking or anything, to hear them play, usually a $5 dollar cover charge. Well this past Wed. we were asked for our IDs and were told since we're not 21 we can no longer go there. Once in awhile we used to chat for like 10 seconds with the vocalist/guitarist or any other member of the band, and now we're not allowed in anymore. There's my bit of complaining.

Now, my happiness. This weekend the MIX hosted a battle of the bands to see who would win the opportunity to open for Bon Jovi at Soldier Field. The Aragon Ballroom was packed for the show, mostly with Stellar Road fans. The other fans were completely drowned out by the SR fans and since it was based on crowd participation the decision was easy to make. I dont care who it is they open for, its a huge opportunity for them. It was really cool to see a band we'd watched every chance we could have the opportunity to do something like that.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
kyyle, if you want man, i could always make you some compilations of stuff and bands you like i can use upload sites like yousendit and others to get the full albums to you

If you feel funky, feel free. Let me know where to point and click, and I will do it

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
I like a fair amount of "classic rock" stuff, but I don't like one Allman Brothers song.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
jeeze, way to poop on deploderer like that .

That's Ok. Phish are now my new, newest favourite band. I just got "Billy Breathed", Great sunny weather (yes we are having some) car music.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
That's Ok. Phish are now my new, newest favourite band. I just got "Billy Breathed", Great sunny weather (yes we are having some) car music.

I've got a couple of cool videos from their concerts when they have glow stick wars. Amazing music.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)

why deploderer? We were doing so good talking about joy division.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
why deploderer? We were doing so good talking about joy division.

Well, I suppose that The Times They Are A Changing, now where Have I heard that before? Sounds like it would make a good title for a song.

my musical taste appears to be expanding in line with my waistline.

BTW, Phish are playing Chicago at the end of this month, I sooo wish it was in mid August instead.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Well, I suppose that The Times They Are A Changing, now where Have I heard that before? Sounds like it would make a good title for a song.

you'd think you'd pick a hall and oates song title the way you've been leanin recently :D

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
BTW, Phish are playing Chicago at the end of this month, I sooo wish it was in mid August instead.

It's just Trey and Mike playing, but it's still gonna be sick. Phish is on a "hiatus" but Trey's talked about getting back together in the future.