Sox's spin on negotiations displeases Buehrle camp

Mr. Showtime

From the SouthTown:

Link

One day after the White Sox chose to renew the 23-year-old southpaw's contract at $445,000 for the 2003 season, Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry, told the Daily Southtown that both he and Buehrle were "disappointed" with the picture that was painted by the organization.

"It's disappointing that the White Sox have chosen to use the media to disparage our negotiation attempts, and to put their spin on why they're renewing one of the best pitchers in baseball for the second year in a row," Berry said. "Despite what the Sox have put out there, we have no preferences on preserving either Mark's arbitration rights or free-agency years. We wanted to sign a multiyear deal."

A major league source said Buehrle and Berry walked away from a five-year deal potentially worth $27 million. The first three years reportedly were guaranteed at $11.5 million. If Buehrle were to have pitched at least 200 innings in 2005, he would have earned $6.5 million for 2006. The final year was a Sox option at $10 million with a $1 million buyout that would have made it a $9 million deal.

However, a further examination of the final deal offered by the Sox shows that nearly 70 percent of the dollar value was not guaranteed. There's also the fact that both Oakland's Barry Zito and Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia, each of whom signed multiyear deals before reaching two full years of service, were given four-year deals with one club option. The Sox's offer to Buehrle had two options, according to Berry.

Both sides agreed on the three years guaranteed at $11.5 million, and Berry said Buehrle would have even signed a four-year guaranteed deal with the one-year option in 2007 — Buehrle's free-agent year.

That's why both Berry and Buehrle were upset with what they felt were unfair remarks made in the wake of the renewal. Berry stressed that Buehrle's ability to become a free agent was not the main reason why the deal fell apart.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I think that the Sox will come back and offer him the 4th year guaranteed.  They went too far on this to just walk away.

jas dont count on it..... whats done is done.... bridges are burning and no water in site...........

You know...I am impressed....after reading yesterday's thread where HSC's knowledge was being questioned, here it is a day later an article stating details on the post contract-talk spin trumpeted by KW and the subsequent response from Berry...

A day later....kinda nice getting the goods the day before it hits the papers....keep up the great work, HSC and thanks for keeping us up to date on BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY..... :)

Guest hotsoxchick1
You know...I am impressed....after reading yesterday's thread where HSC's knowledge was being questioned, here it is a day later an article stating details on the post contract-talk spin trumpeted by KW and the subsequent response from Berry...

A day later....kinda nice getting the goods the day before it hits the papers....keep up the great work, HSC and thanks for keeping us up to date on BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY..... :)

ya know dasox.. i try my best to keep the info flowing..... but there are still those who disbelieve...... i guess you cant please everyone huh.. its just nice to know you can please some such as yourself though...... :D this may not be over with yet though.. i heard that there MAY be more press release from jeff soon....

Guest hotsoxchick1
nearly 70% of it not guarenteed -

I kind of guess HSC that you and I were kind of hinting that yesterday, there was more to it than what the Sox said in KW's press release -

he who questions HSC ...is an idiot :lol:

well i wouldnt go that far to name call but... they are questionable......... :D

I kind of guess HSC that you and I were kind of hinting that yesterday, there was more to it than what the Sox said in KW's press release -

well i wouldnt go that far to name call but... they are questionable......... :D

im really glad buehrle came out with this today...i dont go over to the "other" boad much anymore but ill have to go over and see how they all ripped buehrle yesterday and how they are all backtracking now :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1

im really glad buehrle came out with this today...i dont go over to the "other" boad much anymore but ill have to go over and see how they all ripped buehrle yesterday and how they are all backtracking now :lol:

not all of them... i put the little duck boy on ignore now cause hes an asshole who doesnt understand.. appling i think gets it.... so i cut him slack....and i know you definately get it.. this is the first of news yet to come.... at least thats what i heard............

I think that the Sox will come back and offer him the 4th year guaranteed.  They went too far on this to just walk away.

jas dont count on it..... whats done is done.... bridges are burning and no water in site...........

HSC beat me to it Chisoxfn. Don't hold your breath. MB's gone the first chance he gets. And he should make a killing in arbitration..... especially if he wins close to 20 or more this season.

And not to toot my own horn or two other people's horns here ;) , but myself, HSC, and CWsox were skeptical of the White Sox press release THE MINUTE the Organization posted it on WhiteSox.com and ESPN.com.

Sounds like this 5 yr, 27 million dollar contract had more loopholes and fineprint than Big Hurt's.

All that was gauranteed was the 11.5 for 3 years. The rest was incentive or option based. The free agency year spin was unfortunate, but I don't see where this was an unreasonable offer. MB and the Sox agreed to the first 3 years. The fourth year gauranteed at 6.5 million if MB pitched 200 innings is an attempt to protect the team from having to pay MB if he becomes Mike Sirotka.

Key sentence in the article is " However, a further examination of the final deal offered by the Sox shows that nearly 70 percent of the dollar value was not guaranteed."

Nearly 70% not guarenteed makes it in the scale of things unreasonable. And I still suspect with good cause there is more to the story.

Hey, thanks Cubkilla for noticing my suspicions on the press release the instant it was released - thanks.

If they would gaurantee about $4 million of that fourth year, then kick it up to $6.5 if he pitches that 200 innings, and if MB would allow the team that 5th year option, this might be doable. I think they are so close that they need to work things out.

I think they are so close that they need to work things out.

that would be my fondest wish.

However, there is still more to the story and I hope it is not an insurmountable more but I am not feeling really optimistic at this moment. :(

Well, it sure is nice to finally get some answers.

I must say, though...I have no problem with contracts that aren't guaranteed. I don't think anybody deserves to have guaranteed money regardless of how they do. Sure, I believe that a player should be rewarded for past success, but after a certain point it's a risk for the team, and it could lead to a complacent player (one who thinks "It doesn't matter whether I have an ERA of 3 or an ERA of 6, I'm gonna get my money regardless"). Not saying that would happen with MB, but the Sox have to cover their asses just in case.

That said, the Sox definitely should have been upfront and avoided making MB out to be the bad guy in this situation. Very unprofessional.

And for the record, I never denied HSC or anybody else knew otherwise...all I asked for was proof. Now that I have it, I can believe what she was saying.

The proof definitely is in the puddin', and the puddin' stinks.

I think they are so close that they need to work things out.

that would be my fondest wish.

However, there is still more to the story and I hope it is not an insurmountable more but I am not feeling really optimistic at this moment. :(

Well, ya know what heals all wounds? Winning.

If the Sox make some noise this season and decide to pump a few extra dollars into this team, we'll see a long-term deal signed in the off-season.

If we flop, we'll see Bartolo traded at the deadline (or, at the very least, he'll leave via free agency after the season), and it will be bleak times in ChiTown.

sometimes it happens just the opposite, a deal is negotiated between agent and GM/asst GM and everyone is happy and then the owner steps in when the deal is concluded but not yet signed and f***s it up

just saying maybe that sometimes happens

maybe

sometimes

happens

:ph34r:

Guest hotsoxchick1

And for the record, I never denied HSC or anybody else knew otherwise...all I asked for was proof. Now that I have it, I can believe what she was saying.

The proof definitely is in the puddin', and the puddin' stinks.

lmao... umm cluj.. i dont care if you ever believe me ever or not.. i dont feel the need to prove anything at the particular moment i post it, cause it usually comes out in the press or wherever later on anyhow.. i put it up here when i hear it for those on here who know me on a personal level so they can get used to an idea which is about to happen or not happen which ever the case may be......... as for the mark story.. there is more yet to come...you can either believe that or not.... the press will have it soon enough.......(so im told)....

** jim f .. jr was involved in this and he was the one who originally nixed the contract and made hahn and jeff go back to the drawing board.. they had already had somehthing hammerd out both sides agreed upon......

** yas.. theres no way things are going to work out for our better.... feelings have been trampled on and such and its a shame... sox management succeded in pissing off our ace pitcher... (once again) :angry: ...why does history have to keep repeating its self around here ........... :huh: