Olerud a big option

BobDylan

Yeah, as if those .160 slow 1B bring a lot to the table.  If we are thinking of strictly veteran leadership, why not bring in Scott Brosius?  He's a veteran that has won some titles.  Bringing in veteran strictly for leadership is ridiculous.  If someone like Olerud has something left fine, if not take a pass.  This team has a ton of veterans already.  We don't need another one that can't hit... we already have Ben Davis. Now that would really be a dip s*** move.

Olerud has been there before. Joe Borchard has not. While Olerud isn't his prime, he'll hit above .250 at the season's end. We don't know what Borchard will bring us. He's never really shown us anything that suggests he can hit above .200 for a couple of months.

I'd much rather bring in an established veteran on the decline of his career than an overrated nearing bust status prospect.

Adding Olerud makes no sense.  If you do that, you might as well say that Borchard sucks.  Borchard's best side if lefty... if you want to bring in an established left-handed hitter fine.  Just bring in a good one with something left in the tank. That is not Olerud.

Nope...what you're saying is Borchard is not eeady for major league pitching yet!

If we're planning on heading deep in the playoffs, I'd rather have Olerud's veteranship in the clubhouse than some kid who's been overrated his entire career have another horrible stint in the big leagues.

His veteran leadership has lead the Mariners to one of the worst records in baseball. He is done. The Mariners would rather pay him not to play, so they could look at a minor leaguer 3 years older than Borchard. Borchard's last stint wasn't so horrible. He easily could have had 3 or 4 more hits, and his average would have been well over .300.

His veteran leadership has lead the Mariners to one of the worst records in baseball. He is done. The Mariners would rather pay him not to play, so they could look at a minor leaguer 3 years older than Borchard. Borchard's last stint wasn't so horrible. He easily could have had 3 or 4 more hits, and his average would have been well over .300.

I hope Borchard proves me wrong, but I don't see him doing anything to help this team.

I hope Borchard proves me wrong, but I don't see him doing anything to help this team.

He might not, but he should get the opportunity, unless KW goes and gets a veteran. Olerud is not a good idea in my mind for a couple of reasons. The first being, I don't think he can play anymore, and the second, acquiring him puts Everett back in the outfield. Not only is he even worse than last year out there (if you remember his attempts in LF against the White Sox a month ago) but he has been injured, and going back out in the field my make him aggrevate those injuries.

Bruce Levine said this morning that KW is going to wait a few days and see what happens. To me, that means he might wait until Wednesday, which is right after three games vs. Minnesota. That gives him 3 days until the deadline to get something done.

Guillen stated that Borchard would need to prove he can contribute, and I agree with that sentiment.

I bet we will see Borchard in the starting lineup tonight. If there's ever a time for him to start contributing, it is now.

I think we'll see Everett in the outfield sporadically, like when Carlos Lee needs a day off.

My best guess is KW is pursuing pitching above anything else.

Bruce Levine said this morning that KW is going to wait a few days and see what happens.  To me, that means he might wait until Wednesday, which is right after three games vs. Minnesota.  That gives him 3 days until the deadline to get something done.

Guillen stated that Borchard would need to prove he can contribute, and I agree with that sentiment.

I bet we will see Borchard in the starting lineup tonight.  If there's ever a time for him to start contributing, it is now.

I think we'll see Everett in the outfield sporadically, like when Carlos Lee needs a day off.

My best guess is KW is pursuing pitching above anything else.

It'll be interesting to see what KW does, to say the least.

I think it's safe to say that the Everett deal is rock solid now.

The Mariners talent sucks, Willie Mays in his prime couldn't lead that team to the promise land. The White Sox at least have players that can get it done, and that's when veteran leadership is important.

I mean, what is Olerud going to tell a bunch of washed up veterans? Nothing. His veteran leadership would be GIANT on a team like the White Sox. They have little experience, and Olerud brings a lot to the table in that case.

The Mariners talent sucks, Willie Mays in his prime couldn't lead that team to the promise land. The White Sox at least have players that can get it done, and that's when veteran leadership is important.

I mean, what is Olerud going to tell a bunch of washed up veterans? Nothing. His veteran leadership would be GIANT on a team like the White Sox. They have little experience, and Olerud brings a lot to the table in that case.

The Sox core has major experience. Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Everett, Loaisa, Garcia, Buerhle. The Sox don't need any veteran leadership, they have it. One guy who provides said leadership is Mike Jackson, and do you want him on the mound when the game is on the line? The White Sox need guys that can get people out or guys who can drive in big runs. At this stage of the game, Olerud provides neither. He wasn't very good last year either.