Neon Deion Returns

Their defense is one of the best I've ever seen. If Jamal Lewis can overcome his legal troubles, and rush the ball like he has in the past, they will be dominant.

Their passing game sucks ass, but it doesn't matter. They could score just 10 points a game and still win 11-12 games, since I can't see any team scoring much against that defense.

Their defense is one of the best I've ever seen.  If Jamal Lewis can overcome his legal troubles, and rush the ball like he has in the past, they will be dominant. 

Their passing game sucks ass, but it doesn't matter.  They could score just 10 points a game and still win 11-12 games, since I can't see any team scoring much against that defense.

Their defense was one of the best I'd ever seen when they had Lewis, Boulware, Sharper, McCready, Adams, Siragusa, McAllister, Starks, Woodson, etc.

As of now, they can't f*** with the Panthers, though. That is the NFL's best defense, no question. That core came together in a hurry!

Their defense was one of the best I'd ever seen when they had Lewis, Boulware, Sharper, McCready, Adams, Siragusa, McAllister, Starks, Woodson, etc.

As of now, they can't f*** with the Panthers, though.  That is the NFL's best defense, no question.  That core came together in a hurry!

We will see how good the Panthers defense is when their DB's can't throw receivers to the ground anymore with the new rule.

We will see how good the Panthers defense is when their DB's can't throw receivers to the ground anymore with the new rule.

No matter. They have the best D-Line in the league, and that's where everything starts. When you analyze a football team, always start with the trenches. Carolina is undoubtedly the best.

No matter.  They have the best D-Line in the league, and that's where everything starts.  When you analyze a football team, always start with the trenches.  Carolina is undoubtedly the best.

wtf? are you forgetting the team who won the super bowl last year? the one who made peyton manning look like heath shuler? the one that played every game but two without roosevelt colvin, and now has him back? there's no way you can say carolina is undoubtedly the best, they were 10th in scoring defense last year, new england was #1.

wtf? are you forgetting the team who won the super bowl last year? the one who made peyton manning look like heath shuler? the one that played every game but two without roosevelt colvin, and now has him back?  there's no way you can say carolina is undoubtedly the best, they were 10th in scoring defense last year, new england was #1.

I'd put the Patriots and Ravens immediately behind the Panthers.

In my opinion, Carolina would have won the super bowl last year if Stephen Davis was healthy.

I agree that the Patriots made Manning look like crap, but take a look at Belichek's career record against Manning. It's ridiculous. Belichek is damn near undefeated against him, and they used to see the Colts twice a year.

wtf? are you forgetting the team who won the super bowl last year? the one who made peyton manning look like heath shuler? the one that played every game but two without roosevelt colvin, and now has him back?  there's no way you can say carolina is undoubtedly the best, they were 10th in scoring defense last year, new england was #1.

Best defenses in football belong to both the Patriots and Ravens. I think the Ravens have the more explosive defense (ie, more turnovers, more points), but New England also has a tremendous, smart offense that reduces turnovers.

New England is heavy favorites in my book, but in the NFL anything can happen. And Spiff, you'll love Rosie if he is healthy. He was my favorite defensive player on the Bears, over Urlacher.

I'd put the Patriots and Ravens immediately behind the Panthers.

In my opinion, Carolina would have won the super bowl last year if Stephen Davis was healthy. 

I agree that the Patriots made Manning look like crap, but take a look at Belichek's career record against Manning.  It's ridiculous.  Belichek is damn near undefeated against him, and they used to see the Colts twice a year.

And New England would have won by more if they had Corey Dillon and not Antwain Smith.

None of this coulda, shoulda, woulda stuff. New England has a superior defense. Carolina's front line might be a little better, but the Patriots linebackers and secondary are way better.

Carolina's front line might be a little better, but the Patriots linebackers and secondary are way better.

Spiff, I get the feeling that you're from the Boston area, because to say that the Panthers D-Line is just a little bit better....I dunno about all that. Sounds like major bias. Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins, and Rucker? That is an absolute embarrasment of riches, and nobody can even begin to approach that this year.

And to say that the Patriots LB core and secondary are way better...no freaking way. The only true star is Ty Law, and he's far from inspired right about now. Rodney Harrison, Tyrone Poole, and Terrell Buckley are dinosaurs in NFL terms. Vrabel, Bruschi, and Phifer are great for the particular system they're running over there, but they're nothing special. Put any one of those three guys elsewhere, like on Kansas City or St. Louis for instance, and you'll never ever hear anything about them, ever. To say that the LB core and secondary are way better....I just don't know what to make of that. It sounds like that's your team, and I could understand where you're coming from if that's the case.

I'd encourage you to watch a few Panthers games this year. I caught 10 to 12 of their regular season games last year. Guys like Dan Morgan, Ricky Manning, and Mike Minter, and Witherspoon are looking like future pro bowlers. And that line....ahhh, you already know.

The Panthers will have the best DLine in the league no doubt. Jesse Armstead and the return of Mark Fields will make their linebacker core very solid also. Their question will be with the secondary. Artrell Hawkins will help as a possible starter beside Manning. The Panthers have the luxury of not having to have a dominant secondary due to the ability to rush the quarterback so well.

The Ravens probably have the most talented defense in the league. Their DLine will be the question however. Suggs, Lewis, Boulware, McCalister, and Reed are all Pro-Bowl type talents.

The Patriots have pretty much a solid defense overall, not really dominant at anything particular, but no holes on the field either. The bring in new talent every year, especially through the draft, and they step in and help immediately.

I would give the edge to the Patriots right now for the best defense in the NFL due to question marks on the Panthers and Ravens defenses. But Stephen Davis and Jamal Lewis will pound the ball enough that they should help cover up the holes in the defense.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Carolina on top with Julius having somewhat of a down year last year and should bounce back with over 10 sacks. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Ravens on top if their front 3 can clog the line. But I'm expecting the Patriots to keep things together and claim the #1 spot.

Watch out for the Redskins though, Portis' help with clock management coupled with Sean Taylor's immediate impact could propel the Redskins near the top. Their DLine is the question though.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Carolina on top with Julius having somewhat of a down year last year and should bounce back with over 10 sacks. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Ravens on top if their front 3 can clog the line. But I'm expecting the Patriots to keep things together and claim the #1 spot.

That's cool. I think we all agree that the Panthers, Patriots, and Ravens are the three best defensive units in football. But from what I have seen from all three, I'd have to give the edge to the Panthers. However, the Patriots have the greatest defensive mind in all of football running the show over there in Boston, and they also have the most depth on defense, so they get major points from yours truly. But still though, the Panthers reign supreme in my mind.

Believe me, I know where you are coming from. My two favorite teams by a wide margin are the Steelers and the Panthers, I watched almost all 16 of both teams games last year.

As a sidenote, and somewhat of a homer. Watch out for Ryan Sims to break out this year at DT for the Chiefs, he has finally come to the realization he needs to work his ass off in the offseason to be better.

Spiff, I get the feeling that you're from the Boston area, because to say that the Panthers D-Line is just a little bit better....I dunno about all that.  Sounds like major bias.  Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins, and Rucker?  That is an absolute embarrasment of riches, and nobody can even begin to approach that this year.

And to say that the Patriots LB core and secondary are way better...no freaking way.  The only true star is Ty Law, and he's far from inspired right about now.  Rodney Harrison, Tyrone Poole, and Terrell Buckley are dinosaurs in NFL terms.  Vrabel, Bruschi, and Phifer are great for the particular system they're running over there, but they're nothing special.  Put any one of those three guys elsewhere, like on Kansas City or St. Louis for instance, and you'll never ever hear anything about them, ever.  To say that the LB core and secondary are way better....I just don't know what to make of that.  It sounds like that's your team, and I could understand where you're coming from if that's the case.

I'd encourage you to watch a few Panthers games this year.  I caught 10 to 12 of their regular season games last year.  Guys like Dan Morgan, Ricky Manning, and Mike Minter, and Witherspoon are looking like future pro bowlers.  And that line....ahhh, you already know.

I don't know how you call Rodney Harrison a dinosaur and expect that to make your argument. Old or not, he is still better than Mike Minter. You are talking about those Panther players being potential pro-bowlers. The Patriots had 3 on defense (Seymour, Law, and McGinest) last year, the Panthers had 1 (Jenkins). I have been watching all those guys you mentioned since they were in college, and Morgan is the only one I see ever making the pro bowl. Manning had a good playoffs last year, but he's gotta do it consistently. Witherspoon is a nice player, but he's undersized and he doesn't seem to make many plays that really make you say wow, plays that get you in the pro bowl. Minter hits hard, really hard, but so doesn't most of the safeties in the league.

BTW Jessie Armstead is done, has been done for about three years. He doesn't help them, but Brandon Short is a guy I really like. And of course Brian Allen, because he was on the greatest FSU team ever.

I'm not tryin to tear down the Panthers, but when you said they were undoubtedly the best defense that knocked me off balance. It's a good squad though, and they showed a great deal last year. They are fun to watch, last night was a good game, even for the preseason.

It's good though, to talk football with people who know what they're talking about.

The Pats aren't my team really, I like them though and I watch a lot of their games cause I am from Mass. The Giants are my official team (which is why I'm so sure about Armstead and Short), but they don't evoke the kind of passion that FSU and the Sox do. Not even when they were in the Super Bowl against Baltimore, and especially not last year when they mailed in the last 10 games of the season. Overall I still want them to win, but it's weird to have such an identity crisis when football is my favorite sport. Maybe the Dave Brown era left me so shell-shocked that I approach every game looking like this :mellow:

That's cool.  I think we all agree that the Panthers, Patriots, and Ravens are the three best defensive units in football.  But from what I have seen from all three, I'd have to give the edge to the Panthers.  However, the Patriots have the greatest defensive mind in all of football running the show over there in Boston, and they also have the most depth on defense, so they get major points from yours truly.  But still though, the Panthers reign supreme in my mind.

No love for the Cowboys? I think Mike Zimmer does a great job, and we've got some great players in Glover, Ellis, Dat Nguyen, Terence Newman, and the hard hitting safety in football, Roy Williams. :headbang