Things that realistically could be done...

WhiteSox311

1. Move those damn fences back.

2. Teach Garland how to pitch.

3. Trade Borchard and another prospect for good setup guy.

4. Get a TOP-NOTCH pitcher from free agency.

5. Tell maggs too f*** off and get and either try anderson or sweeney or get a cheap out fielder.

6. Get rid of crede, and sign beltre

7. Give Carthy a decent chance at makin' the club next spring.

8. Don't resign Jose.

9. Use Uribe and Valdez at short.

10. trade konerko for anything we might actually need.

1. Move those damn fences back.

Yup. But I'm not sure that this is not likely to be done - the team has shown the willingness to do this in the past (especially at old Comiskey). Don't count this out. They probably have a couple of feet in both LF and RF to work with and can move back the plate a couple of feet. It makes too much sense for them not to do it if they really are focusing on pitching.

(Especially moving the RF fences out - the Twins' power over the next few years will come from Mauer and Morneau, both lefties).

2. Teach Garland how to pitch.

Don't think this can be done by this organization. He needs a change of locale, a la Kip Wells.

3. Trade Borchard and another prospect for good setup guy.

Sounds good in principle... but who is the other prospect and who is the setup guy? Borchard and, say, Bajenaru wouldn't get you a Mota.

4. Get a TOP-NOTCH pitcher from free agency.

I'm not sure this is unlikely. IF the Sox really will have extra money to spend because of Comcast Sports Net Chicago, I think this goes right to a starter. This also might reinforce the need for #1. (I like Brad Radke as a target)

5. Tell maggs too f*** off and get and either try anderson or sweeney or get a cheap out fielder.

Part 1 seems pretty likely to me. But Sweeney is definitely not ready. Anderson is a possibility (but he probably plays center while Rowand goes to right). More likely is Jurassic Carl in Right Field. Gulp.

6. Get rid of crede, and sign beltre

This is realistic only if the Sox pass up on signing a pitcher in the offseason. If they sign Beltre (Boras client), they will probably overpay.

7. Give Carthy a decent chance at makin' the club next spring.

Ummm....I'd give him the same chance Buehrle had in 2000. That seems doable. But this guy was in low-A for about half this season. Don't push him and his 92 mph fastball without testing him against former ML'ers and prospects at the AAA level.

8. Don't resign Jose.

This is probably done already. But his replacements (Uribe, Valdez) aren't likely to be better.

9. Use Uribe and Valdez at short.

See 8, this is likely.

10. trade konerko for anything we might actually need.

This seems somewhat likely. Konerko is having his best year ever, and his trade value is high. Someone might overpay for him (Yankees? Angels?)

Am I the only one that'd be perfectly happy never seein Valdez in a Sox uni unless he can figure out how to f***in' get on base without hitting the ball?

I saw a stat earlier in the year saying that Sean Burroughs was leading off for the Padres and he was #7 in the league in OBP, and he never drew a walk either. Frankly I don't care if Valdez doesn't draw a walk IF he can get on base consistently, otherwise he's gonna hav problems being a starter in this league.

Am I the only one that'd be perfectly happy never seein Valdez in a Sox uni unless he can figure out how to f***in' get on base without hitting the ball?

I would not mind if he never walked and hit .360 but he's not gonna do that so i agree if he cannot learn how to take some walks he does not excite me.