War on Iraq thread....

Heads22

whitehouse is saying that the bombing hasnt officially started but they said they got some "targets of opportunity" in the form of high ranking iraqi officials...they had to use stealth fighters and they only want to use those under the cover of darkness...they also fired cruise missiles (double digits is what the are saying as far as numbers) from more than one navel ship...

for the last 3 1/2 weeks we have been tracking 5 high ranking iraqi leaders including saddam and his sons..whitehouse says the target was one of these 5..the opportunity came at the last minute so they decided to take the shot....no confirmation if the target was saddam..the whitehouse also said they would not rule out more of these types of attacks before the campaign of "shock and awe" start

I'm just wondering.

What exactly is the purpose of this war? I'm not against it....but I'm not that big on politics either(but it's fun to read about).

Is it to stop Saddam, or to get an advantage on the world's oil or to stop Iraq in all or what? :huh:

I'm just wondering.

What exactly is the purpose of this war?  I'm not against it....but I'm not that big on politics either(but it's fun to read about).

Is it to stop Saddam, or to get an advantage on the world's oil or to stop Iraq in all or what?  :huh:

Depends on who you ask...

Conservatives will tell you its to oust a threat to world peace and liberate the Iraqi citizens...

Liberals will tell you its nothing but either a popularity stunt, personal vendetta, or economic move by Dubya.

As for me, I don't see any point to this at all. Even when we do oust Saddam, I don't see how we're going to keep at least some of the Iraqis from resorting to the exact same regime in 10-15 years.

I'm just wondering.

What exactly is the purpose of this war?  I'm not against it....but I'm not that big on politics either(but it's fun to read about).

Is it to stop Saddam, or to get an advantage on the world's oil or to stop Iraq in all or what?  :huh:

well , everyone seems to have their conspiracy theories...the official position at the white house as far as i understand it is two fold...first...the whitehouse believes saddam has WOMD in the form of bio and chemical weapons...they have not turned them over to weapons inspectors nor showed any proof they were destroyed...they whitehouse also says they have intelligence that says sadam has been training al-qaeda forces in the use of these type weapons as well as document forgery...this brings them under the war on terror because there is a belief that if they get the chance they will use these weapons through terrorist groups..

they also have to goal to remove saddam for massive human right violations against neighbors and his own people..with the idea of installing a more democratic form of government...

the US is using UN resolutions 677,678 and 1441 as authority to prosecute this war...1441 being the big one which states if saddam doent fully disclose his weapon and destroy them immediately iraq will suffer severe consequences...

thats how i interpet the white house's position..im sure others will disagree

I'm just wondering.

What exactly is the purpose of this war?  I'm not against it....but I'm not that big on politics either(but it's fun to read about).

Is it to stop Saddam, or to get an advantage on the world's oil or to stop Iraq in all or what?  :huh:

A say both, getting rid of Saddam would be a main goal, but if you can open up the world's largest oil supply it can't hurt.

I believe the pentagon released information stating that US forces fired 40 cruise missiles in the "Target Oppurtunity" There is some decent footage showing quite often on CNN of the apparent exploding missiles (I assume).

What do you guys think about Sadam's speech? If it was Sadam :lol:

I believe the pentagon released information stating that US forces fired 40 cruise missiles in the "Target Oppurtunity"  There is some decent footage showing quite often on CNN of the apparent exploding missiles (I assume).

What do you guys think about Sadam's speech?  If it was Sadam :lol:

as always...saddam's insane

saddam saying bush is guilty of crimes against humanity :lol:

Actually, I have read that the high Iraqi official they targeted was Saddam himself. No comment has been made as to whether it was successful or not. That speech Saddam gave could have been taped beforehand, as there was nothing to pinpoint the time it was actually given. No references to any direct events that happened today/tonight over there.

Actually, I have read that the high Iraqi official they targeted was Saddam himself.  No comment has been made as to whether it was successful or not.  That speech Saddam gave could have been taped beforehand, as there was nothing to pinpoint the time it was actually given.  No references to any direct events that happened today/tonight over there.

Really..? He said (paraphrasing) "Bush just committed a war crime... etc" Sounds to me like it was post attack. I do however think it was a double. Saddam is waaaaay out of the zone by now, IMO.

I believe the pentagon released information stating that US forces fired 40 cruise missiles in the "Target Oppurtunity"  There is some decent footage showing quite often on CNN of the apparent exploding missiles (I assume).

What do you guys think about Sadam's speech?  If it was Sadam :lol:

He sounded just like Apu :headbang

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it's the

leaders of a country that determine policy, and it is always a simple

matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist

dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no

voice the people can be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is

easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and

denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country

to danger. It works the same in every country."

-- Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremburg trial

after WW II

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it's the

leaders of a country that determine policy, and it is always a simple

matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist

dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no

voice the people can be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is

easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and

denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country

to danger. It works the same in every country."

-- Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremburg trial

after WW II

What are you saying? The pro-war people on this board are Nazi's? Or the pro-war people on this board are embracing facist ideals? Or it's only a matter of time before the pro-war people start setting up camps to inter the anti-war people? Interesting. Exactly what is the point of quoting Goering here? :huh:

I assume you guys already heard but Iraq apparently made a retaliation attempt, they fired 4 Ababil 100 missiles, 2 of which were shot down and 1 which landed in a open desert in Kuwait. One also landed near Camp Commando in Kuwait wherever that is. Iraq is denying that they fired the missiles. Phh :lol:

I believe the pentagon released information stating that US forces fired 40 cruise missiles in the "Target Oppurtunity"  There is some decent footage showing quite often on CNN of the apparent exploding missiles (I assume).

What do you guys think about Sadam's speech?  If it was Sadam :lol:

It was ridiculous, like most of his speaches, such as him saying he wouldn't burn the oil.

I assume you guys already heard but Iraq apparently made a retaliation attempt, they fired 4 Ababil 100 missiles, 2 of which were shot down and 1 which landed in a open desert in Kuwait.  One also landed near Camp Commando in Kuwait wherever that is.  Iraq is denying that they fired the missiles.  Phh :lol:

In regards to those missiles.

They are reporting that they were missiles with a 100-125 mile range. These were the missiles that Saddam had destroyed a week or so ago, that type.

These were missiles that were banned in Resolution 1441 that said that Iraq couldn't have any missiles that would fire from the range of 90 miles or greater and that list includes scud missiles, which intelligence shows they have at least two dozen of them.

The missiles that he fired are like Al Rassus or something.

For those of you that didn't believe he has the weapons, the missiles fired he was not supposed to have, and inspectors thought in the case of the couple fired yesterday that he had gotten rid of all of them. Obviously he was hiding stuff.

One thing that the US is now semi worried about is the fact that they may of detected the stealths. Now they aren't undectable like many believe, but in no way did they believe that Iraq had this type of capabilities.

Also, Al Jazera television is reporting that the US has bombed a school, hospital and something else, which is FALSE. The US has bombed some of Saddam's personal residences, but no schools. Its just another example of people lying and the thing is the people believe it. There are reasons we are hated there, and its the propaganda that gets spewed.

Of course on the other side, I'm sure we here a lot of propagenda as well and it is effective. The US may say things like we are getting to their guys and they are surrenduring (The Republican Guards) and that could get all those guards to think twice and wonder who to trust, etc.

US now controls Iraq's only seaport, I forget the name.

Some Short Opinion

As far as a little prediction, I think that Operation Shock and Awe is going to start around 3 pacific time, but there is a very good possibility that the US will wait till early morning so everyone sees the power (Early Morning Their Time).

I assume you guys already heard but Iraq apparently made a retaliation attempt, they fired 4 Ababil 100 missiles, 2 of which were shot down and 1 which landed in a open desert in Kuwait.  One also landed near Camp Commando in Kuwait wherever that is.  Iraq is denying that they fired the missiles.  Phh :lol:

In regards to those missiles.

They are reporting that they were missiles with a 100-125 mile range. These were the missiles that Saddam had destroyed a week or so ago, that type.

These were missiles that were banned in Resolution 1441 that said that Iraq couldn't have any missiles that would fire from the range of 90 miles or greater and that list includes scud missiles, which intelligence shows they have at least two dozen of them.

The missiles that he fired are like Al Rassus or something.

For those of you that didn't believe he has the weapons, the missiles fired he was not supposed to have, and inspectors thought in the case of the couple fired yesterday that he had gotten rid of all of them. Obviously he was hiding stuff.

One thing that the US is now semi worried about is the fact that they may of detected the stealths. Now they aren't undectable like many believe, but in no way did they believe that Iraq had this type of capabilities.

I read on cbc.ca that the missiles fired at Kuwait were Abibil 100 missilies. But I can't find the link anymore. It does appear that the Abibil is legal.

Here's some info on the Abibil

The Al Samoud 2 is a scaled-down Scud similar to the Ababil-100, a missile Iraq was developing to meet UN Security Council resolutions. However, the Al Samoud 2 is powered by liquids not solids, and the propulsion system is based on a reverse-engineered version of the SA-2 (surface-to-air) missile engine."

Not sure if cbc.ca was right about it being Abibil missiles. If you have a link to it saying otherwise please show me.