Ross Gload- Starting first baseman in 2005?

bjm676

Damn,  a lil jumpy are we?  I wasn't speaking for everybody.  A good portion of us "including myself" wasn't sure that Rowand could play everyday.  And he's proven us wrong.  So it's a lil pre-mature for anybody to say for sure that Gload can't play everyday.

Calm down Killer.

It just gets annoying when it comes up again and again, when it is totally meaningless. We could just as well say, "Some thought Rowand couldn't play, so maybe Borchard can play. Trade Lee (or Frank)." That's not even an argument.

I always wanted the Sox to let Rowand have a long shot at the CF job b/c we didn't have a good CF (sorry, I thought Everett was just atrocious). Now we're talking about getting rid of one of our best players, largely b/c this bench guy has played out of his head the past month. And he has been good, and maybe it's a sign. In the minors, he seemed to be able to adapt (unlike Borchard, say). But I don't have enough confidence in that to want Konerko gone.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Zero, dont agree with ya about Gload. I dont think you can just multilpy any players numbers, and expect to get the same result all season. I just dont see Ross Gload being a 300 hitter and basically a 100 RBI guy(your figure came out to 99) Mabye im looking at it worng, but does anyone agree that you just cant multiply a bench player's number and expect the same numbers if he played all year?

Do you really think Jamie Burke would be a 350 hitter if he had 500 AB's?

Because of his PH'ing duties this season, Gload has recieved more RISP AB's. This increases his RBI opportunities...

So, yes, I agree with you...

But if we did go to this I would expect .275/.350/.465 or a 815 OPS -- I think his power would be better, but his BA would be below what we've seen so far this year.

from those #'s and his place in the line up 90 RBI's are not out of the question.

So Frank and Carlos should go too?  Also puts Buehrle, Garland, and KW on the bubble.  I just don't see how this trumps his actual play.

This is true as well. I used skewed logic. My bad.

I just think that trading a player whose potential has been tapped and is coming off a tremendous year(when it is pretty much a well known fact that he will not be nearly as good next year) is not a bad idea, especially when you could get a ton for him, especially when you have a potential replacement in house.

So Frank and Carlos should go too?  Also puts Buehrle, Garland, and KW on the bubble.  I just don't see how this trumps his actual play.

No you don't get rid of Frank period. Almost everyone here thinks we need to get rid of either Pauly or Carlos. Gload is a good replacement for Pauly, we've had a group of individuals for a while now, next year I want a team not a group of individuals.

No you don't get rid of Frank period.  Almost everyone here thinks we need to get rid of either Pauly or Carlos.  Gload is a good replacement for Pauly, we've had a group of individuals for a while now, next year I want a team not a group of individuals.

My point was that the same logic applied to Frank.

I don't get the impression that almost everyone thinks either PK or Carlos has to go. (Jose is another story.) Was there a poll on this?

Does anybody realize why the Twins are so strong up and down their entire system?

Trading  guys away when their value is high(and in some cases, not even that), and trading for guys when their value is low.

Very good point about the Twins.

Trading away players doesn't mean a team is giving up or packing it in.

My point was that the same logic applied to Frank.

I don't get the impression that almost everyone thinks either PK or Carlos has to go.  (Jose is another story.)  Was there a poll on this?

It's been talked about and almost everyone agrees that one of those guys needs to go. Frank before he injured his foot was having one hell of a season and he's always on base, even when he's still in a slump he's still on base, he's still to good of a player to get rid of.

No you don't get rid of Frank period.  Almost everyone here thinks we need to get rid of either Pauly or Carlos.  Gload is a good replacement for Pauly, we've had a group of individuals for a while now, next year I want a team not a group of individuals.

Exactly. Look at the hypothetical numbers I posted any way you want to. It really doesn't matter. If we have both Frank and PK, both extremely slow players, clogging up bases, then that spells trouble. It has for the past 4 years! Konerko is an extremely streaky player. I mean, honestly, we don't know what we'll get from him next year. He's been consistently good this year, but next year he could go on another .200 tear. Granted, we also don't know what we're getting in Gload, however, he's a much better person to have slumping than a guy like Kong. Kong slumps, he K's, he GIDP's, and he sucks. We really even haven't seen Gload slump.

Also, Gload and Kong alike are both 28, so there's no need to say "Oh, we should keep the younger player, and that's Kong", because they're both the same age, just Kong has a little more experiance. Gload just hasn't had the time to prove himself, and in my opinion, he deserves to be a starter. Trade Konerko, I don't care. I want to see Gload now. He's a left, he's a grinder, he's a hit for average guy, he has some speed, so he's not a base clogger. Who cares if he's in a power position on the field? Gload would fit like a glove on the Twins, and we don't even need a 40 HR guy like Kong. We would have gotten 40 bombs out of Frank this year, and Carlos is penciled in for 30 every year. So play Gload at first base.

I realize Paulie is a fan favorite though, and the loss of him, if it happens, will be hard to stomach for Sox fans. But if this team comes out strong then I guarantee, just like any other fans, that we'll forget all about Konerko.

Not to mention we could get a player just as good as Konerko in exchange, whether it be pitchers or position players. It's not like we get nothing out of the deal. I'd feel good going into next year if we got a good 3rd baseman and reliever for Konerko and a prospect, or even Crede, while also acquiring a good starting pitcher via free agency.

It's been talked about and almost everyone agrees that one of those guys needs to go.  Frank before he injured his foot was having one hell of a season and he's always on base, even when he's still in a slump he's still on base, he's still to good of a player to get rid of.

Why are you arguing with me about Frank? I said exactly the same thing about Frank, that he should absolutely not be traded.

But how do you know that "almost everyone" thinks that? A lot of people do, probably a majority, but "almost everyone" means over 90%, from my way of thinking. Why do you think it's so nearly unanimous?

Not to mention we could get a player just as good as Konerko in exchange, whether it be pitchers or position players. It's not like we get nothing out of the deal. I'd feel good going into next year if we got a good 3rd baseman and reliever for Konerko and a prospect, or even Crede, while also acquiring a good starting pitcher via free agency.

If we get equal value in return (at a position of need), then okay. But I'm sceptical about that.

Why are you arguing with me about Frank?  I said exactly the same thing about Frank, that he should absolutely not be traded.

But how do you know that "almost everyone" thinks that?  A lot of people do, probably a majority, but "almost everyone" means over 90%, from my way of thinking.  Why do you think it's so nearly unanimous?

Ok, sorry about that I thought you were arguing we should get rid of frank, I misread what you said. About pauly and carlos I should say a lot of people here have stated that we should get rid of 1 of them.

I meant like how the Twins win year in year out with players exactly like Ross Gload.

I'd be willing to bet that after Gload hit that double off of Frankie Rodriguez, Angel's fans gained some serious respect for this nobody.

Darn it Zero, I just got done explaining what you meant. :lol:

I meant like how the Twins win year in year out with players exactly like Ross Gload.

I'd be willing to bet that after Gload hit that double off of Frankie Rodriguez, Angel's fans gained some serious respect for this nobody.

Ah I see. :)

Dammit fine I'm an idiot... :headshake With a lady. :headbang :D