radke's price tag?

Hatchetman

he made 11 million this year.  he'll be 32. He's having a damn good year. I think he'd get at least $8 mil/year on the open market.

He definitely should be someone the sox look into in the offseason(after pavano of course :P ) As long as Radke's not on the twins next year, I'll be happy.

I guess my point is, he would be nice to have, but it's going to cost.

I have a feeling that pitching is going to get expensive this year, expesially with the Yankees most likely to rebuild their pitching staff. And if Lowe/Pedro go elsewhere, that will put the Red Sox in the market for pitching as well. And we all know both of those teams will overpay to get the players they want, which could have a big ripple effect on the price of pitching.

Radke fits perfectly into the mold of the pitcher the Yankees want - throws strikes, walks few hitters. Radke has apparently said he has no desire to pitch in New York, but ol' George might give him 10-11 million reasons to pitch there. Remember, the Yankees freed up $6 million per by trading away Contreras!

He would also fit into the Red Sox mold, and I could see them going after him as well.

Here's a link to Radke's "No on New York" statement:

Radke not New York type

"Chances are, no," Radke told the St. Paul Pioneer-Press when asked if he might be interested in signing with the Yankees this winter.

His reasoning being what many free agents say about New York.

"I think you've got to be a different kind of person to go there and play," Radke said. "I don't think I'm that kind of person."

Whoops, Johan Santana is eligible for arbitration again this year.

Looks like if the Twins want to lock him up, it'll cost them 3 years $22 million.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/twins/rumors.html

"Radke is a free agent and not eligible for arbitration. But if he was, his quality starts, coupled with his major league service time, could result in a $10 million salary next season, equaling what he is being paid this season. • If the Twins make a market-value offer to Santana this winter, as expected, it will be for about $22 million over three years."

Hard to see the Twinkies spending $17 million on two pitchers, but they might if they think they've got cheapies in Tiffee, Morneau, Ford, Cuddyer, Mauer, next year.

Still, if Santana is at $4.5 mill (I'm assuming a $4.5-$7.5-$10 contract to get to $22 million) and Radke is at $10 million, Stewart at $6 million, that's $20 million on 3 players. Torii Hunter's 2005 deal is worth in excess of $8 million, so we are talking $28 million on 4 players. Throw in Joe Mays at another $6 million, now you are talking about $34 million on 5 players. Rivas is eligible for arbitration, as is Kyle Lohse and Jacque Jones, I believe.

I think the Twins are unlikely to resign one of the Guzman/Koskie/Radke trio. I hope they choose not to resign Koskie or Radke. Guzman doesn't get on base and his defense (which is actually quite error prone) doesn't make up for his lack of offense.

It's hard to believe that the 2005 Twins would be any better than the 2004 Twins, happily.

Unhappily, the 2005 Twins are likely stil 6-8 games better than the White Sox even with Frank Thomas back.

Unhappily, the 2005 Twins are likely stil 6-8 games better than the White Sox even with Frank Thomas back.

If the Sox concentrate on building their team based on speed, defense, contact hitters and strong pitching [along with a solid minor league system of "grinder" type players ], they don't have to worry what the Twins do. [Esp. as the Sox will spend more money to add players during the season].

Hopefully this offseason will be the start of that process. It seems to have started in the minors with guys like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, and pitchers like B-Mac who can throw strikes.

That said, the sox could use a few Koskie or Radke type players via free agency to help them win in '05.

he made 11 million this year.  he'll be 32. He's having a damn good year. I think he'd get at least $8 mil/year on the open market.

I'm not sure that he will get $8 mill, unless he signs with a team who has a very learge payroll.

You have to consider that when he signed that, market value for players was huge(much bigger then it is now), and that, if he signed it when I think he did, he was coming off of a 20 win season.

I think that, unless he signs with the Yanks or BoSox, he'll get around $6-7 mill.

Another thing to note about the Twins...just because they lose quite a few good players does not mean that they will be worse. Last year, they traded away Milton, Pierzynski, Mohr, and lost Guardado and Hawkins to FA. This year, they trade Mientkiewicz away at the trade deadline. What happens? Yeah, they improved.

I'm not sure that he will get $8 mill, unless he signs with a team who has a very learge payroll.

You have to consider that when he signed that, market value for players was huge(much bigger then it is now), and that, if he signed it when I think he did, he was coming off of a 20 win season.

I think that, unless he signs with the Yanks or BoSox, he'll get around $6-7 mill.

Another thing to note about the Twins...just because they lose quite a few good players does not mean that they will be worse.  Last year, they traded away Milton, Pierzynski, Mohr, and lost Guardado and Hawkins to FA.  This year, they trade Mientkiewicz away at the trade deadline.  What happens?  Yeah, they improved.

I've never been one to underestimate the twins and I never will be. They could probably stick me or you in there to play ss next year and we'd produce.

I guess my point is, he would be nice to have, but it's going to cost.

Winners Cost money. It's true what ya say. Regretfully Reinsdork doesn't see it like that. I guess they'll be another Robert Person type signing, to see if he can catch Lighting in a bottle again. And to be truthfull I'm sick of it :angry:

Twins are pretty desperate to resign Radke after the year he's had. If he gets locked up to a 3 to 4 year deal, it wouldn't suprise me at all if he tailed off and went back to his 2002 and 2003 form.

Seems like everyone does great in their contract year and become medicore again.

How about these guys?

Esteban Loaiza

Magglio Ordonez

Jose Valentin

Not so good in their contract years.

How about these guys.

Odalis perez.

Adrian beltre.

Nomar garciaparra.

JD drew.

I should have not said everybody i should have said whenever players do really good the year before their new contract they usually do not live up to the contract.