King Carl

winninguglyin83

I know this may seem far-fetched.  But maybe KW sees Carl as an op to pick up someone to bolster the bullpen. Last year, he could've signed Carl and let someone possibly trade something for Carl, instead he got picked up to a contract.  Maybe he thinks this is a way for us to pick at least something up in return

The Sox were in a trick bag last year with both Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar. To retain negotiating rights they would have had to offer them arbitration. By not offering they lost the right to negotiate until May 1, 2004

In '03 Everett made $ 9,150,000 so who knows what an arbitrater would have awarded, he eventually went to the Expos for $ 3,000,000.

Alomar's salary in '03 $ 8,000,000 - he signed with the snakes for $ 1,000,000.

I think there is also some kind of rule that you can't offer your own player less than 80% of his last salary unless you declare him a free agent. That how Danys Baez ended up in Tampa.

Tangent: If anyone understands these crazy rules and how they would apply to Magglio this year, please post.

I sure hope we get rid of this guy, King Carl.

Do any of you really truly look forward to him starting

for us next season?

I don't see why we would consider bringing him back.

If he's out of shape now and admits it, he's been stealing

Dork's money.

Why give him a chance to loaf some more again next year?

Jose V. may be having a bad year, but at least he's not stealing

money by being out of shape.

LET CARL GO!

Depends on the situation.

First off, I feel a motivated Carl Everett is a good guy to have on this team. He provides definate leadership as well as a good left handed bat, which is definately needed. On the other end, I don't quite think of him as the answer in right field, mainly because he isn't much better then Gload defensively out there (which says something).

However, if he's brought in along with someone like Jay Gibbons or what not (assuming Bmore gives up on him rather cheaply...not sure if that will happen) then I wouldn't have a problem platooning them to see which is the better man.

Plus their will still be the days off for Frank and a potentially open first base, so Carl could be groomed to spell Gload over there as well or replace Gload if he struggled. I definately don't mind Everett, especially if he's in kind of a utility type role, just like Uribe. And an in shape Carl Everett is still an asset and a very good player. Maybe not an all star, but close.

:headbang The plan is coming together. Our '05 OF is coming together. After the travesty that was the Garcia deal we needed to keep Everett in town. Our OF next year looks like Rowand and Everett for sure. I see Lee possibly getting dealt leaving Borchard and Escobar to split time if the Sox don't go out and pickup somebody.

BTW Jeremy Reed is 11-26 (.423) with an on-base of .464, slugging at .500, and an OPS of .964. The only guy on the Sox with a better OPS: Frank Thomas. Granted, it's early. However, I'm not encouraged from the Sox' end. Oh and Reed is yet to strike out. He is PERFECT for this team... :rolly

Reed is definately better then Borchard. Hell, at this point, but it is in hindsight, I'd of rather given them Olivo and Crede then Reed and I bet Seattle would of bit.

But at that point I still had a lot of faith in Crede. It kills me because I'm a Crede fan, but I've definately written him off unless he has a change in attitude and starts to shorten his swing and what not.

I, too, have soured on Crede. Can't hit the good fastball -- and everybody in the AL knows itr. Too many swings he looks as if he is just reaching for the ball.

With Everett back and Rowand established, my guess is that Carlos Lee will be traded.

Be another money saving move.

They'll play Carl in left, Rowand in center and either Borchard, Timo, Escobar or some cheapo free agent in right.

The outfield is going to be a total mess, as will the infield, and possibly starting pitching, catcher position, and relief. Us Sox fans have to face it, this team is not in a prime position to field a division winning caliber team next year without some enormous changes to this team.

The outfield is going to be a total mess, as will the infield, and possibly starting pitching, catcher position, and relief.  Us Sox fans have to face it, this team is not in a prime position to field a division winning caliber team next year without some enormous changes to this team.

Why don't we let the regular season end, see what kind of moves the team makes and then start bashing the KW and the Sox. That would be the fair way of doing things.

USA Today Baseball weekly also reports that King Carl Everett is going to exercise his $4 million option and return to the Sox.

Says he promises to come back in better shape next season.

guess that means 10 pounds overweight instead of 20

Yep, only one cheeseburger instead of 2. But with Maggs's departure imminent and Frank's ability to stay in the lineup in question they dont have a whole lot of choice IMO.

The only good I can see from this is that at some point somebody will get Reinsdorf's attention and say:

Why in the hell did your general manager trade FIVE prospects to acquire this slug twice in 13 months?

He can't run. He can't field. He can't throw. He hits a little, but sporadically.

What the hell in going on?

But, of course, I dream big.