Your World Wish List

Texsox

1- Recognize a Palestinian State. The Palestinian State would recieve funding for rebuilding the many damaged settlements, building a police force, and setting up a democratic government. A palestinian state that justly rules its people would end the pali-israeli conflicts.

2- End funding for failing government programs such as the drug war, and NASA. The money can be spent on more pressing domestic issues. I don't think that we can possibly win the drug war, so any money going into that is wasted. And Space exploration is better left in the hands of private companies.

3- Legalize all stem cell research. Health is the most important thing. Right now using existing stem cells has had great benefits, embryonic stem cells have even more promise. Stem cells are already helping many cancer patients by replenishing immune cells, allowing doctors to use a more aggressive chemo-therapy regiment.

4- Tax any company that outsources. The tax should not be so large that it causes companies to not outsource at all, but it should end some outsourcing, and allow the government to earn money.

What the bleeding heart would do to change the government. The whole laundry list. I'm too big for three things.

1. End the drug war. Fight the terror war instead.

2. Impeach Tom DeLay for multiple ethics violations. Hold our elected officials to a higher standard.

3. Hold someone in the government accountable for recent intelligence failures in the MidEast. Improve our intelligence and develop an arm that can do the dirty work in Farsi, arabic, etc.

4. Hold Iran and North Korea accountable and actively seek to resolve these issues, through diplomatic, economic or military means in whichever means is necessary.

5. Fund the Department of Homeland Security properly. Make sure that every cargo container finds inspection before being unloaded quickly and effectively. Make sure that cargo on planes are expected. Start worrying about bombs and stop worrying about nailclippers. Ban lighters on planes instead so nobody can light anymore shoe bombs.

6. Eliminate the Electoral College. Citizens should vote for the president, citizens shouldn't vote for other citizens to vote for the president.

7. Engineer further tax cuts from the bottom up rather then the top down. The average US soldier pays at the 15% tax bracket rate. The average millionaire earning his money through dividends rather than hard work pays at the same tax bracket rate. Something about that doesn't seem right to me.

8. Give our military a 30% raise and make their salaries TAX FREE. Supply them with up to date body armor and make sure that soldier's moms never have to organize fundraising drives to send their adopted company up to date body armor during wartime.

9. Allow for embryonic stem cell research in a fashion which is both ethical and beneficial to science.

10. End our dependence on foreign oil within 20 years. Do it by pioneering newer cleaner technologies not by drilling in ANWR.

11. Expand Americorps and create a draft similar to Germany, where military service is not compulsory but some sort of national civic service is.

12. End loopholes for corporate multinationals. End the loophole to allow US based multinationals to do business with embargoed countries via foreign based subsidiaries.

13. Create a culture that respects life. End the death penalty. Work to make abortion procedures rare but legal in the first trimester and extremely rare beyond.

14. End the No Child Left Behind act.

15. Properly fund the VA, Amtrak and start an initiative to renew a national infrastructure that has been aging.

16. Make sure that the Constitution is respected for everyone.

They should, if the power is really in the peoples' hands lets decide by popualr vote

Theres a reason why we have the electoral college. Is to keep 3 or 4 states from deciding every election. The thing to do, and I've already outlined this, is replace the winner take all way the states have it now and award each electoral vote to the winner of that congressional district and the 2 senators go to the overall state winner.

1. Stop exempting foreigners from taxes for seven years.

2. Resolve the situation in the Middle East W/O war.

3. Reform the healthcare system

Soxman, I'm not certain where you received your information on #1, but I know of no sort of law that exempts foreigners from US taxes. Down here we get people from all over the globe, and they all pay US taxes. If the money is earned in the US, it is taxed in the US.

When I was working in Mexico, I received a deduction for taxes I paid to Mexico, but I still paid US taxes. Foreigners who live and work in the US are taxed just like you and me. Let me know if you know of some loophole. I have a few Canadian friends that would love to hear about it.

Theres a reason why we have the electoral college.  Is to keep 3 or 4 states from deciding every election.  The thing to do, and I've already outlined this, is replace the winner take all way the states have it now and award each electoral vote to the winner of that congressional district and the 2 senators go to the overall state winner.

The problem is that will probably never happen NUKE. They wanna do proportional college voting in Colorado and opponents are saying that will never happen. Doing things by congressional districting would be bad as well because of the way districts are remapped. You'd have a battle in every state to switch Congressional districts every four years and end up with situations like Texas. Originally, Senators weren't directly elected either. Would you like to go back to that?

Soxman, I'm not certain where you received your information on #1, but I know of no sort of law that exempts foreigners from US taxes. Down here we get people from all over the globe, and they all pay US taxes. If the money is earned in the US, it is taxed in the US.

Oh believe me it goes on around here. We called the Cook County Tax Board and asked. They responded with a yes. My neighboor has 3 kids owns her own house and operates a liquor store and she doesn't pay a dime. Plus she gets her health care for free. Biggest scam I have ever seen

Oh believe me it goes on around here. We called the Cook County Tax Board and asked. They responded with a yes. My neighboor has 3 kids owns her own house and operates a liquor store and she doesn't pay a dime. Plus she gets her health care for free. Biggest scam I have ever seen

Are you talking about income tax or property taxes and business taxes?

It is very common to offer businesses incentives to locate in your town. It is all about being competitive. Most of the Economic Development groups down here will offer land and tax abatements to get a business to move from cold, high wage areas like yours, to down here with our beautiful weather, low wages, and cheap taxes.

Cook County Tax Board does not have anything to do with Federal Income Taxes.

OK, I'll chime in.

1. Balance the budget every year. Make politicians be accountable for the money they spend. This was a bed rock principle of the GOP, but they abandoned it during the Reagan dynasty. Do not give the public stuff and try to convince them that others will pay for it. There are not enough "others" to make up for it. I have more respect for a Tax and spend politician than a spend and cut tax politician.

So out of curiousity, does that mean you are against aid for FLA hurricane relief? That money is coming out of a later appropriation.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/11/...s.ap/index.html

So out of curiousity, does that mean you are against aid for FLA hurricane relief?  That money is coming out of a later appropriation. 

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/11/...s.ap/index.html

There would be some exceptions like wars and natural disasters.

Currently we owe over $7 Trillion, much of that to foreign investors.

True. I was thinking more local terms there, but I still don't believe they should be exempt from both property and business

I can understand that. We'll take the jobs down here when foreign investors are looking to open plants.

Auto Assembly Plant Activity in the South from Fall 2001 to Fall 2003

* Fall 2001: As part of a $1 billion expansion, Nissan announces it is moving its Maxima line from Japan to its existing plant in Smyrna, Tenn.

* Fall 2001: Honda begins production at new plant in Lincoln, Ala.

* Winter 2001: Honda announces it is expanding its Lincoln, Ala. plant one month after opening it, adding 800 new jobs.

* Spring 2002: Korean automaker Hyundai announces it will build a new $1 billion, 2000-employee assembly plant south of Montgomery, Ala.

* Summer 2002: Carlos Ghosn, president of Nissan, announces the company is investing an additional $500 million to expand its unfinished facility in Canton, Miss. The expansion will result in 1,300 additional jobs.

* Summer 2002: Honda announces it is doubling production at its Lincoln, Ala. plant, investing an additional $400 million and adding 2,000 new jobs.

* Fall 2002: BMW announces a $500 million upgrade of its assembly plant in Greer, S.C. that will add 400 new jobs.

* Winter 2002/2003: Toyota chooses San Antonio, Tex. area for $800 million pickup truck plant.

* Winter 2002/2003: DaimlerChrysler announces it will build a $750 million van plant in Pooler, Ga.

* Spring 2003: Toyota announces it will build a $124 million engine block plant in Jackson, Tenn.

* Spring 2003: Toyota officials announce the company is investing $25 million in the expansion of its newly opened engine plant in Huntsville, Ala.

* Summer 2003: Nissan announces it is moving production of the Pathfinder model from Japan to its plant in Smyrna, Tenn., investing $250 million more in the 20-year-old facility and adding 1,500 jobs.

Everyone of these included tax breaks to locate in their city. That's the name of the game in economic development. When San Antonio was competing for the Toyota plant there were three other cities in the final group.

So you wouldn't have spent to end the great depression?  Now I am curious, how would you have solved that?

OK, wars, natural disasters, and great depressions. Not mild recessions and to get re-elected.

Illegal: Vote for me and I'll give you $500

Legal: Vote for me and I'll give you a $500 tax rebate!

One are he has also championed is that consistant policies yield greater results than increases and decreases.

My turn to ask the questions.

Why do we pay taxes?

Are we better or worse off paying $430 million in interest to foreign investors on our $7.3 Trillion debt?

One are he has also championed is that consistant policies yield greater results than increases and decreases.

My turn to ask the questions.

Why do we pay taxes?

Are we better or worse off paying $430 million in interest to foreign investors on our $7.3 Trillion debt?

You keep saying that... how much of that debt is owned by forgeiners?

You keep saying that... how much of that debt is owned by forgeiners?

OK, skip the foreign angle, make this easy.

Why do we pay taxes?

Are we better off owing $7.3 Trillion and paying almost $400 million in interest every year?