Toughest College Basketball Arenas...

I know you are not an illini fan but you cannot deny the fact whitesoxfan99 gave. That would be that they have the best home winning percentage over the last 5 years. They have to be on your list even of they are not 1st.

Yes and I love that halftime thing with the chief.

sorry i left off the illini.

oh and I love the Illini, grew up watching Nick Anderson, Kevin Turner, Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo etc.........

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonzaga----  Very small and they are nuts, damn jesuits.

They built a new one, as I indicated with my first post, it seats a cozy 6,000 fans. In order to keep the fans as physically close to the court as possible it boasts "the steepest seating allowed by law", and seats 2 ft from the out of bounds lines.

I have never been to IU's Assembly Hall, but I have heard it is a pretty tame atmosphere compared to many of the others. 

Somewhat true. It's mainly because IU doesn't have a true student section in Assembly Hall. However, they do provide the largest number of student seats of any Big Ten school. Last season, the 12,000 student tickets sold ranked among the highest number in the country and were four times higher than the next school, Purdue, with about 3300. Of AH's 17,257 seats, 7,800 were devoted to students last season.

Toughest place to play? Back in the day the Manchester College PERC. :headbang Just ask Illinios Weslyan about our student section. After getting eliminated by them on a shot a full second and a half after the buzzer (it was so loud the refs couldn't hear it go off) one of the players thought it would be funny to run over and taunt the student section which had been riding him the whole game. He ran over got in the face of the front row, and got knocked out. One of the guys coldcocked him. Now that's an intimidating student section.

Any of the small southern schools that still play in a gym. Rice didn't have air conditioning and I think Tulane didn't either in their big run in the early 90's. Also:

The Pit

Utah

Santa Clara

BTW, does anyone remember the tradition where when the first point of the season is scored, the entire student section throws toilet paper onto the court? Does anyone remember seeing that and where was it? I somehow remember Western Michigan, but I'm probably wrong.

Ummm... Syracuse plays in the Carrier Dome, I don't think they ever played in the Palestra.  I believe the Palestra was Penn's home court and the location of the the Big 5 basketball tourney (La Salle, Penn, Temple, St. Joes, and Villanova).

i know 'Cuse doesnt play there i was just adding it to the list but i guess it doesnt really matter anyways

Somewhat true.  It's mainly because IU doesn't have a true student section in Assembly Hall.  However, they do provide the largest number of student seats of any Big Ten school.  Last season, the 12,000 student tickets sold ranked among the highest number in the country and were four times higher than the next school, Purdue, with about 3300.  Of AH's 17,257 seats, 7,800 were devoted to students last season.

We have a problem with crowd noise also.

KU f***s the students out of many of the tickets and gives them to the old farts.

These local old yocals sit on their hands the entire time until the students have to literally yell at the old farts to make some noise.

Just because they have good talent does not mean they have a good home court.

For instance UCONN has two home courts, one is small and their fans hate it, and the other is far from campus.

Ok, let me specify then, the arena in Hartford is not the one. It's the one in Storrs (where they play the bulk of their games) which gets pretty raucous

I'd have to say in the Big XII, it roughly goes like this:

Allen

Iba

Hilton

Coors (Tie) Texas (Tie) Oklahoma

Those three south teams are always tough, KU and ISU have the top home advantages in the north with the elevation in Colorado f***ing with some teams.

I'd have to say in the Big XII, it roughly goes like this:

Allen

Iba

Hilton

Coors (Tie) Texas (Tie) Oklahoma

Those three south teams are always tough, KU and ISU have the top home advantages in the north with the elevation in Colorado f***ing with some teams.

Since I have been to almost every Big 12 arena, i will give my opinon.

1. OSU and KU are tied(they have been mentioned, so lets move on)

2. Hilton, its David Copperfield baby

3. Texas Tech---- what else is there to do in whacko.

here are the rest of the big 12

mizzou--- they are very die hard, almost nuts in the head, but they lose a ton there, we will see how the paige arena is.

colorado--- the lack of air is a yes, but KU fans turn that place into allen fieldhouse when they play, so I am never impressed.

K-state---- they sell more tickets to womens games.

Nebraska---- rent-a-fans

oklahoma---- always packed, but they prefer football

texas---- see oklahoma, and they have trouble selling out

baylor---- insert cricket noise

a&M--- they are always booing.

Well, I just know from ISU, as the Clones always have a tough time at the places I mentioned. Mizzou can get loud but they get out of it too.

It's the Hilton Magic, baby. Only one team survived in Ames, and they ended up doing just fine afterwards.

A couple of years ago when ISU won at Allen I almost blew it in my pants. Ahh....when Marcus Fizer was good.....

Anyone who doesn't put AH at Illinois in the top 10 really doesn't have a clue, the numbers don't lie

I would also put Wisconsin up there on the list somewhere or close to it, i don't know how the hell anyone can win there either. Just a place not many people think about.

This isn't exactly a Top 10, but the following arenas were listed as the toughest in America by coaches, players and writers in the new CBS Sportsline college preveiew magazine......

Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas

Rupp Arena, Kentucky

Cameron Indoor, Duke

Breslin Center, Michigan St.

McArthur Court, Orgon

O'Connell Center, Florida

Shoemaker Center, Cincinnati

McKale Center, Arizona

Williams Arena, Minnesota

Louis Brown Athletic Center, Rutgers

Others mentioned....

Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma St

Gampel Pavilion, Connecticut

Maples Pavilion, Stanford

Kohl Center, Wisconsin

UD Arena, Dayton

Huntsman Center, Utah

Kresse Arena, College of Charleston

Reilly Center, St. Bonaventure

Selland Arena, Fresno St.

Carrier Dome, Syracuse

Comcast Center, Maryland

Mackey Arena, Purdue

Bradley Center, Marquette

Sorry, no Assembly Hall from either state.

heres my take: the record doesnt necessarily mean its a tough place to play per se; i mean i wouldnt say the assembly hall is a place a team really fears to go to but we seem to win at home a lot perhaps because of the lack of non-conference quality opponenets at home aside from Big Ten ACC challenge games. then again it still is a very good home crowd advantage on a good night

This isn't exactly a Top 10, but the following arenas were listed as the toughest in America by coaches, players and writers in the new CBS Sportsline college preveiew magazine......

Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas

Rupp Arena, Kentucky

Cameron Indoor, Duke

Breslin Center, Michigan St.

McArthur Court, Orgon

O'Connell Center, Florida

Shoemaker Center, Cincinnati

McKale Center, Arizona

Williams Arena, Minnesota

Louis Brown Athletic Center, Rutgers

Others mentioned....

Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma St

Gampel Pavilion, Connecticut

Maples Pavilion, Stanford

Kohl Center, Wisconsin

UD Arena, Dayton

Huntsman Center, Utah

Kresse Arena, College of Charleston

Reilly Center, St. Bonaventure

Selland Arena, Fresno St.

Carrier Dome, Syracuse

Comcast Center, Maryland

Mackey Arena, Purdue

Bradley Center, Marquette

Sorry, no Assembly Hall from either state.

Makes no sense at all why they are not on the list, not at all.

mizzou--- they are very die hard, almost nuts in the head, but they lose a ton there, we will see how the paige arena is.

I had a few hours between class wednesday and walked over to the open house for Paige and I was very impressed with the facility. It's first-class all around (the only way the Lauries would have it ;) ) and when full it's going to be a very, very intimidating environment (based on the interior structure and the way sound was bouncing around with just a few people in there). The student section seems to be placed well also. The program may be weak right now, but the new arena is sold out all year and should make some difference.

Oh, and when full Mackey is loud as hell. (full being the key word) At least Keady's on his way out.

Maybe players and coaches know more than you?? Just maybe?

Oh i am sure they do. But to not be on the list you mentioned just seems to not make much sense. If it wasn't a tough place to play at i feel that they wouldn't have the best home winning percentage in the last five years. Playing against really good teams or not.