Southtown Article on outfield situation

Guest JimH

Here's the link from today's article:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/171sd7.htm

Next week, there's an article on the pitching staff.

Looks like Anderson and Sweeney are in the plans for the very near future. If Plan A is going after Beltran, I predict they'll be disappointed because the competition for him will be fierce and I can't see the White Sox winning that battle, particularly with Boras as the agent.

Interesting that KW says they don't know what role Everett will play. I'm guessing a lot depends on Frank Thomas' health.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy Cheat's gonna love this. :lol:

Timo Perez

Williams on Perez: "A lot of people don't know that he played most of the season hurt. He has a little foot issue that limited his speed. He never complained, took his role, was a positive influence on the club, especially with Juan Uribe in particular, and Timo had some big hits."

Fearless Forecast: The Sox will try to avoid arbitration and get a deal done with Perez, making him a key reserve again.

Oh boy Cheat's gonna love this.  :lol:

Timo Perez

Williams on Perez: "A lot of people don't know that he played most of the season hurt. He has a little foot issue that limited his speed. He never complained, took his role, was a positive influence on the club, especially with Juan Uribe in particular, and Timo had some big hits."

Fearless Forecast: The Sox will try to avoid arbitration and get a deal done with Perez, making him a key reserve again.

:headbang :ph34r:

Have you ever seen Escobar play?  Get a real shot in the bigs?

And Timo is fine off the bench only because of his .400 with RISP.

I have not seen Escobar play, but if he wasn't good enough to play for either of the 2 or 3 (or more?) teams he was on prior to coming here, how good could he be.

As for Timo, all he'll ever be is a bench player. If he can accept that role...cool.

In my opinion the article was dead on.

However I wish they would of given us more information on how Alex is coming around.

If Everett doesn't come back in shape then I think that Escobar is our insurance in RF.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm not impressed with Borchard at all but I have to agree with Jim H. I'm sick of all of these people who just come on here and say, so and so sucks without trying to back it up.

I think we can all agree that guys like Harris, Borchard, Crede, hell even Escobar haven't lived up to expectations.

Do they suck? NO

Do they have to work a hell of alot harder to keep their jobs? YES

If we were to believe some of the people on these message boards we would be fighting to not come in dead last.

In my opinion the article was dead on.

However I wish they would of given us more information on how Alex is coming around.

If Everett doesn't come back in shape then I think that Escobar is our insurance in RF.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm not impressed with Borchard at all but I have to agree with Jim H. I'm sick of all of these people who just come on here and say, so and so sucks without trying to back it up.

I think we can all agree that guys like Harris, Borchard, Crede, hell even Escobar haven't lived up to expectations.

Do they suck? NO

Do they have to work a hell of alot harder to keep their jobs? YES

If we were to believe some of the people on these message boards we would be fighting to not come in dead last.

Okay, I apologize. Saying someone "sucks" is juvenile.

I'll try to be more like some of the other posters and NEVER criticize the Sox, or their ownership.

I'll just let the team's "success" speak for itself.

Yes, I too wish they'd given an update on Escobar. I found it a little strange he really wasn't mentioned at all. Especially since KW talked at the end of the season how pleased they were when he got through to them on waivers.

Stop Theard Killing. I don't put my head in other people's bussiness for the most part, but both of you are hurting this site with your childish bickering.

Jim, I love reading your WHITE SOX posts;your to good of a poster to fight about something so stupid.

Both of you just let it go.

Tony, good advice, you are wise beyond your years.

See my post on the whole subject above, I think that covers it.

Trying to get this thread back on topic here...

Anyone else think it kind of defeats the purpose of getting Beltran if it means we have to trade Lee.

Don't get me wrong I know that Beltran is better, but is he so much better that he is worth the extra money.

Lee for about 8 Mil a year (I don't know the exact figure on what he's making next year so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) will give us good defense and a nice consistant bat. He's also got fairly good speed. Considering there is no way that we could get Beltran for less then 15 Mil does it really make sense to do it.

Plus it gives us another hole in the Outfield that we need to fill in case the Escobar/Borchard/Everett trio doesn't pan out...

Just thought i'd put that out there...

Trying to get this thread back on topic here...

Anyone else think it kind of defeats the purpose of getting Beltran if it means we have to trade Lee.

Don't get me wrong I know that Beltran is better, but is he so much better that he is worth the extra money.

Lee for about 8 Mil a year (I don't know the exact figure on what he's making next year so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) will give us good defense and a nice consistant bat. He's also got fairly good speed. Considering there is no way that we could get Beltran for less then 15 Mil does it really make sense to do it.

Plus it gives us another hole in the Outfield that we need to fill in case the Escobar/Borchard/Everett trio doesn't pan out...

Just thought i'd put that out there...

I agree.

But we can sign Beltran, and trade Konerko instead of Lee.

An outfield of Lee, Beltran and Rowand would be pretty formidable.

I agree.

But we can sign Beltran, and trade Konerko instead of Lee.

An outfield of Lee, Beltran and Rowand would be pretty formidable.

I would actually agree with that but then who do we put at 1B.

I'm not sure sure Gload could handle a full season. If Gload does start who replaces his role off the bench.

Could Everett play 1B maybe?

I would actually agree with that but then who do we put at 1B.

I'm not sure sure Gload could handle a full season. If Gload does start who replaces his role off the bench.

Could Everett play 1B maybe?

Let's suppose we trade Konerko (and a prospect) to LA for disgruntled RF Shawn Green (who I understand JR is very fond of, and has tried to obtain in the past) and a pitching prospect.

Then we can either play Green at 1B, teach Lee to play 1B and put Green in the OF, or Frank at 1B, and DH either Green or Lee.

Just a thought.

Because the Sox "think small".

We could have them both. We will save $12-14 million from Ordonez's contract, $5 million from Valentin, if we dump the Alomars, $3-6 million, that's at least $20 mill to play with.

What about the other player increases? It's fine to want to spend, but you have to be reasonable. I'm fine with trading Lee if it means acquiring Beltran, especially with Anderson and Sweeney on their way.

Because the Sox "think small".

We could have them both. We will save $12-14 million from Ordonez's contract, $5 million from Valentin, if we dump the Alomars, $3-6 million, that's at least $20 mill to play with.

Most of that money has already been spent in Garcia, raise to Buerhle, etc.

I have a question for you israel.....

The Sox made the playoffs in 2000. They more than doubled their payroll the following offseason. The team suffered because of injuries. But where was the fans commitment? The Sox stepped up, but the fans didn't. Attendance actually went down the following year.

Why should the Sox feel like throwing an extra $20 million around would actually help increase attendance and regain those revenues, esp. if they have bad luck and don't win it all?? They would very quickly become the Mets or Orioles unless everything went perfectly.

It seems to me the Sox did exactly what you wanted them to do after the 2000 season and it got them squat.