Church thoughts

sox4lifeinPA

Guest hawaiisoxfn
Interesting thoughts all of them.

The Church as we know it today, is NOTHING like the church Jesus intended in the new testament.  If you read the gospels, so much of the traditions of the church are complete garbage.  The institution of the church has become an entity all on itself, instead of a road to God as it was originally intended. 

The Robin Hood analogy is interesting but flawed.  There is no thing as a "good" sin.  Remember where God said if you have committed one sin you have committed them all.  Even if his intentions were good, he still broke Gods commandments, and would be punished as such.

I remember where he said if youve committed one sin youve committed them all. He also said that all sins are equal. Taking his name in vain is just as bad as murder. And as for punishment, repent and your sins are forgiven. God wants people to repent, he does not want to punish us but he will if he has to. My favorite story in the Bible, by far, is Luke 23: 39-43 (I think thats right). Jesus is being crucified with two thieves. One thief says that if he is so great, he should save all three of them. The other thief says he is a fool and asks Christ to remember him in the afterlife. Christ tells him that they will walk together in Paradise that very afternoon. As long as you repent with sincerity, God will forgive you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 16 years of catholic school I heard that lesson a billion times.

And it remains one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I'd have to agree. The all sins are equal is a little too Immanuel Kant categorical Imperative for me.

Then again, back in the dark days of my Catholicism, I did like the repent with sincerity and it's all good rule. The old 11th hour deathbed confession has been a Catholic life strategy for generations. Having fun and being sorry for it at the end is a lot easier than being good all the damn time, ain't it?

Guest hawaiisoxfn
In 16 years of catholic school I heard that lesson a billion times.

And it remains one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I agree completely. Id have to say that shooting someone in the face is probably far worse than saying "oh my God", but its in the Bible, so Im not going to argue the point.

I agree completely. Id have to say that shooting someone in the face is probably far worse than saying "oh my God", but its in the Bible, so Im not going to argue the point.

actually, I think the taking his name in vain probably has to do more with individuals who do things for their own benefit in the name of God. RE:Tammy Faye and Jim Baker, Moonies, Jehovah's Witness, etc.

Although, who are we to say God doesn't hate it when we use His name as curse? If human life isn't the end all like some of you suggest, then why would it be difficult to see all sins as equal?

actually, I think the taking his name in vain probably has to do more with individuals who do things for their own benefit in the name of God. RE:Tammy Faye and Jim Baker, Moonies, Jehovah's Witness, etc.

Although, who are we to say God doesn't hate it when we use His name as curse? If human life isn't the end all like some of you suggest, then why would it be difficult to see all sins as equal?

All sins boil down to this. We have disobeyed God's commandments. That is the sin. It isn't a quantitiative thing to where is it murder, or theft worse... but when we commit those acts we are disobeying Gods commandments. That is why all sins are equal.

You guys are focusing way to much on the symptoms, and not on the cause. The cause is not turning over leadership of our lives to God, which leads us to disobey him.

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/makesig...e4=Sox4lifeinPA

cant get link to work so just copy and paste

hehe, yes....yes he does.*

but not as much as he hates chicken f***ers like yourself....

Great thread. Later I'll take the time to read all of your opinions. My father is a Roman Catholic and really i sort of was. I don't go to Church, I know that there's a God and there's Evil. I reply to God and believe me if done a lot of Awful things. I don't mind liseting to black metal and metal in general. Anyways I went to a catholic church about 7 years ago and i tell ya i didn't go back when I found out some info about the Priest. Anyways it's a long story. My favorite part of the Bible is Revelations

Great thread. Later I'll take the time to read all of your opinions. My father is a Roman Catholic and really i sort of was. I don't go to Church, I know that there's a God and there's Evil. I reply to God and believe me if done a lot of Awful things. I don't mind liseting to black metal and metal in general. Anyways I went to a catholic church about 7 years ago and i tell ya i didn't go back when I found out some info about the Priest. Anyways it's a long story. My favorite part of the Bible is Revelations

I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts. There has been a lot of good stuff in this thread...

I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts.  There has been a lot of good stuff in this thread...

This thread sould be pinned. I gotta have some time to read through. I'll keep on giving my opinion when interesting posts are made.

All i know is that the Catholic Church is really Hypocrite. Learn that in History clases in College, When the Crusades were wars Started by Power Hungry Pope's and the Story of Montsegur and the cathers. (Check Iron Maiden's song) Priest have the cojones to stand and the alter and give out orders but they don't follow. I think God send us to this world to be happy and respect his will, But not to follow all these rules. Church right now doesn't know what the hell they want. Another thing is the Cardinal down here getting into the Political race throwing comments at the statehood party and saying other religious leaders sould sponser the statehood party. Ahhh were's the separation of the Church and the State?

Ahhh were's the separation of the Church and the State?

not in the US Constitution.... Jefferson wrote that phrase in a private letter to a Baptist convention in regards to their concern over a single denomination being appointed as the state religion, i.e. the English Anglican Church.

so when people use that phrase I like to laugh because it has ZERO constitutional basis.

What the Constitution does say is that the Church shouldn't meddle in Government affairs, and the Government shouldn't meddle in Church affairs....

one out of two ain't bad..... :headshake

I appreciate your pointing out the Jefferson's fully fleshed out State and Church writings are elsewhere in the body of the Constitution. But to say a concept of Church-State separation has "ZERO Constitutional basis..". I'd have to say that is a bit hyperboloc (that is to say, a pretty big stretch).

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...”

Now, where is that from again? Hint: It's NOT an Epistle from Jeff to the Baptists.

I appreciate your pointing out the Jefferson's fully fleshed out State and Church writings are elsewhere in the body of the Constitution.  But to say a concept of Church-State separation has "ZERO Constitutional basis..". I'd have to say that is a bit hyperboloc (that is to say, a pretty big stretch).

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...”

Now, where is that from again?  Hint: It's NOT an Epistle from Jeff to the Baptists.

What the Constitution does say is that the Church shouldn't meddle in Government affairs, and the Government shouldn't meddle in Church affairs....

Jim, because I care.

My point is that people use that term as if it was straight from the Constitution, and it's clearly not.

I find things like removing the 10 commandments from Court houses as ludicris.... and I ain't talkin' 'bout dis foo----> 06-ludacris-music.jpg

first of all, all of our major laws are based on the principles found in the 10 commandments, and secondly, most of them aren't enforced by our pathetic justice system. So just leave them alone, unless you REALLY need to make room for that Coke Machine

Jim, because I care.

My point is that people use that term as if it was straight from the Constitution, and it's clearly not.

I find things like removing the 10 commandments from Court houses as ludicris.... and I ain't talkin' 'bout dis foo----> 06-ludacris-music.jpg

first of all, all of our major laws are based on the principles found in the 10 commandments, and secondly, most of them aren't enforced by our pathetic justice system.  So just leave them alone, unless you REALLY need to make room for that Coke Machine

:lolhitting :lolhitting I'm glad you do care, and I can use some new ones.

Again, the rebuttal point was merely that a statement ascerting a ZERO constitutional weigh-in on state and church matters is factually incorrect. And you don't even have to read that far into the thing to get to it either. Now if it had been WAY down in ammendment 7 or 8 or something, I can see how it would be easier to miss... ;)

OK, I admit I had to do a search to see the actual Ten Commandments in front of me. The grade school nuns would be pissed if they knew...

But, I'd have to say that you'd need a pretty big shoehorn to fit 'all the major laws' under that roof. All of the laws that arose out of the Clean Air Act, Endangered Species Act, or the Marine Mammal Protection Act - they are major laws. You could possibly argue that harming the environment is stealing from thy neighbor, or maybe it is injuring God if you take a more Gaian viewpoint. That is just one set of examples, but, short of some major contortionism it's a tall order to get all the major laws that keep things humming out of the Big 10.

so when people use that phrase I like to laugh because it has ZERO constitutional basis.

YAY FOR LITERALISM

The Constitution doesn't have the phrase "freedom of religion" either. I guess we can ignore than concept.

first of all, all of our major laws are based on the principles found in the 10 commandments, and secondly, most of them aren't enforced by our pathetic justice system. So just leave them alone,

...such as?

1,2,3 are explicitly ALLOWED by the Constitution.

4,5 are not illegal.

6,8,9 are used, but are common to most societies and certainly not unique to the 10Cs. And certainly "thou shalt not kill" is not as complex as our laws (murder 1, murder 2, manslaughter, etc).

7 is relevant in divorce cases, but not illegal.

10 is basically encouraged by capitalism.

Yeah, it sure seems like all of our laws are based in the 10Cs.

Guest hawaiisoxfn
YAY FOR LITERALISM

The Constitution doesn't have the phrase "freedom of religion" either.  I guess we can ignore than concept.

...such as? 

1,2,3 are explicitly ALLOWED by the Constitution.

4,5 are not illegal.

6,8,9 are used, but are common to most societies and certainly not unique to the 10Cs. And certainly "thou shalt not kill" is not as complex as our laws (murder 1, murder 2, manslaughter, etc).

7 is relevant in divorce cases, but not illegal.

10 is basically encouraged by capitalism.

Yeah, it sure seems like all of our laws are based in the 10Cs.

Its just separation of church and state. That was one of the founding principles of this nation and I hope they stick to it. Some of the them are just illogical in this society, such as keeping the sabbath holy and not working at all. I believe in going to church on Sundays, but you cant just take the whole day off completely. But I will honor the Commandments as much as I can. But if someone else is atheist and does not want to follow the Commandments, Im not going to force my will on him. I dont believe in that.