Vizquel to Sox-2 years, 8 mil?

shagar69

From HardballTimes

Take it for what you will (Gleeman is a Twins fan....). But at the least I have to agree that it seems silly for the Sox to rush in to sign Vizquel. I'm worried that they'll overpay to get it done early. Williams has a reputation for being a gambler, so if money is really tight it seems like they should wait to see how the market settles.

What these outside people commenting on the situation don't understand is that there's really no other option for this team.

A.) Renteria isn't an option. We need a fundamental player, and while Renteria can probably do all of the little things, Jerry isn't gonna pay for him. Renteria isn't a leadoff hitter, and that's what we need (even though Renteria led off a bit in the playoffs).

B.)Cabrera isn't what we need. Not a very good OBP, good at other aspects, but again -- someone is gonna dish out some money for this kid.

C.) We have no other in-house options. The club isn't confident to with Harris-Uribe as 2B-SS respectively, and the Sox seem to want to keep Uribe at 2B/utility for the time being. Valdez is not an everyday starter.

Four million, ehh, so what. Is it overpaying a bit? Yeah, maybe. But it's not like we're handing out a five year contract here. Kenny seems very confident that at the very least, we'll be getting a .250+ average with plus defense and veteran leadership.

I think some of these people are making a bit too big of a deal over this 'overpaying' crap... JMHO.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What these outside people commenting on the situation don't understand is that there's really no other option for this team.

A.) Renteria isn't an option.  We need a fundamental player, and while Renteria can probably do all of the little things, Jerry isn't gonna pay for him.  Renteria isn't a leadoff hitter, and that's what we need (even though Renteria led off a bit in the playoffs).

B.)Cabrera isn't what we need.  Not a very good OBP, good at other aspects, but again -- someone is gonna dish out some money for this kid.

C.) We have no other in-house options.  The club isn't confident to with Harris-Uribe as 2B-SS respectively, and the Sox seem to want to keep Uribe at 2B/utility for the time being.  Valdez is not an everyday starter.

Four million, ehh, so what.  Is it overpaying a bit?  Yeah, maybe.  But it's not like we're handing out a five year contract here.  Kenny seems very confident that at the very least, we'll be getting a .250+ average with plus defense and veteran leadership.

I think some of these people are making a bit too big of a deal over this 'overpaying' crap...  JMHO.

Vizquel isn't a leadoff hitter either (not once in the past year did he lead off). He's a #2 hitter, just like Renteria.

Just b/c Guillen doesn't like the option of bringing in a 2b and playing Uribe at ss doesn't mean it's not an option at all. I think that's what a lot of these "outsider people" are thinking (also a lot of us who aren't excited about bringing Omar in).

We'll be getting a .250+ hitter who's also a declining shortstop with little power and diminished range, who doesn't hit lhp very well (barely above a .300 obp the last couple years). I think it's a reasonable question if that $4 mil could be better spent on a different player. If nothing else, that's most of the salary of a very good reliever.

Great post. I agree completely. I think Uribe is really best at shortstop (great range and arm) and he had over an .800 OPS last year. I don't know when he'll be more ready to start. If the Sox are concerned about 2nd and 3rd, they should go get Polanco. He's a much surer bet to produce offensively, and has a very good glove at either position. He's also much younger and shouldn't cost much more.

Willie Harris hit over .250 last year, played good D, and couldn't hit lefthanders either. No one wants to pay him 8 million. Vizquel has had great career, and Harris hasn't played really well (although I definitely wouldn't give up on him yet). I know Vizquel brings more to the table than Harris, I just don't think it's worth 4 million a year more. I'd opt for Polanco or a RP.

Great post. I agree completely. I think Uribe is really best at shortstop (great range and arm) and he had over an .800 OPS last year. I don't know when he'll be more ready to start. If the Sox are concerned about 2nd and 3rd, they should go get Polanco. He's a much surer bet to produce offensively, and has a very good glove at either position. He's also much younger and shouldn't cost much more.

Willie Harris hit over .250 last year, played good D, and couldn't hit lefthanders either. No one wants to pay him 8 million. Vizquel has had great career, and Harris hasn't played really well (although I definitely wouldn't give up on him yet). I know Vizquel brings more to the table than Harris, I just don't think it's worth 4 million a year more.  I'd opt for Polanco or a RP.

I agree.