Vizquel to Sox-2 years, 8 mil?

shagar69

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he is not.

Scott Rolen is IMO the most overrated player defensively that i have heard of in quite some time.  Back in Ventura's hay day, he was much better defensively.

Orlando Cabrera is overrated too.

You can look at the numbers I posted, or ignore them...they are still there to look at though, and they tell the truth.

I remember arguing that valentin is better defensively than cabrera by giving their range factors and zone rating over like the last 6 years. But the person said they did not buy into range factor and zone rating.

I stick to my statement that cabrera is just Juan Uribe who makes more money and might not even produce as well.

I remember arguing that valentin is better defensively than cabrera by giving their range factors and zone rating over like the last 6 years. But the person said they did not buy into range factor and zone rating.

Don't know why anyone would do something like that.

Sometimes, to figure out good a player is defensively, you have to look at stats outside the box. Basketball is exactly the same. You don't just look at how many steals a guy gets per game to determine how good he is defensively...you also look at how many points he gives up on average along with other stats. Just because a guy doesn't get a lot of steals does not mean he's not good defensively, right?

So, in essence, the same argument can be made for baseball. Just because a guy makes a lot of errors does not mean he's bad defensively. You have to look at other forms of statistics to determine how good a player is defensively.

What is a webgem for Cabrera can sometimes be a routine play for Jose Valentin.

Scott Rolen is not overrated, he's better than Ventura was? Why am I comparing the two? I don't know, it's kind of silly but the argument was that Cabrera is not only the best defensive ss but the best defender in baseball. I don't know how to compare Andruw Jones and Cabrera so I picked an infielder who I think is better. I see Rolen play everyday in SOuthern Illinois and I've never seen anyone as good as him at 3rd.

Scott Rolen is not overrated, he's better than Ventura was? Why am I comparing the two? I don't know, it's kind of silly but the argument was that Cabrera is not only the best defensive ss but the best defender in baseball. I don't know how to compare Andruw Jones and Cabrera so I picked an infielder who I think is better. I see Rolen play everyday in SOuthern Illinois and I've never seen anyone as good as him at 3rd.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't read all the way back in the thread, sorry about that.

I stick to my statement that cabrera is just Juan Uribe who makes more money and might not even produce as well.

I'll take that one step further.

Give me Juan Uribe who is 5 years younger then Cabrera, has more versatility then Cabrera around the infield, is cheaper then Cabrera, has more power and hits better in the clutch(.308 7 58 .855 with runners on, .323 5 51 .934 with RISP, .340 5 28 1.096 with RISP w/ 2 outs, and 5-for-9 with a homer, 14 RBI, and a 1.711 OPS with the bases loaded)

The main thing Cabrera has on Uribe is that he can actually steal bases.

I'll let some other team take Cabrera for $6 mill while I keep Uribe and see him put up better numbers then Cabrera while making a twelfth of what he makes.

Give me Juan Uribe who is 5 years younger then Cabrera, has more versatility then Cabrera around the infield, is cheaper then Cabrera, has more power and hits better in the clutch(.308 7 58 .855 with runners on, .323 5 51 .934 with RISP, .340 5 28 1.096 with RISP w/ 2 outs, and 5-for-9 with a homer, 14 RBI, and a 1.711 OPS with the bases loaded)

I'll let some other team take Cabrera for $6 mill while I keep Uribe and see him put up better numbers then Cabrera while making a twelfth of what he makes.

Well I guess, if you wanna make it complicated. :lol:

I really do agree with what jason has said. That uribe has the making of tejeda, maybe not quite as good, but nearly.

I really do agree with what jason has said. That uribe has the making of tejeda, maybe not quite as good, but nearly.

I can see that to an extent. Maybe not the 150 RBI seasons, but I can definately see similarities in the stats, and I can see it a little in the swings too.

I could definately see Uribe becoming a .280 30 100 .800 guy someday, if not better. If he can stay out of those prolonged slumps of his, or atleast keep them short, he could hit .310-.320 over a full year...or he could hit a lot of homers. Or both.

I :wub: Uribe

I could definately see Uribe becoming a .280 30 100 .800 guy someday, if not better.  If he can stay out of those prolonged slumps of his, or atleast keep them short, he could hit .310-.320 over a full year...or he could hit a lot of homers.  Or both.

I think at uribe's peak it would be

360 obp

300 avg

25 hr

His worst would be

240 avg

290 obp

10 hr

I wouldn't want KW or Ozzie to condone Cabrera's play. I am referring to the three times in the playoffs that he popped out of his slide at 2nd coming up with elbows in the general vicinity of the middle infielder's head. I like hard-nosed play but not dirty play.

Hey man, i honestly think baseball needs more "dirty" plays. doing that s*** is legal and we need more of that especially with the new "pretty big" rivalry against the twins.

Torri hunter try to injure our catcher and quite frankly i admire that unlike some on this forum. We need more players with a "torri" type attitude imo.

I think doing things like that can get your guys hurt. You can play hard without playing dirty. You can take out a 2nd basemen or bowl over a catcher without being dirty. I know what your saying in that you want to see a spark but I don't think that spark and clean play are mutually exclusive.

To be honest, I think thats an excellent comparison. Of course I think Uribe has Tejada like potential and I really think over the course of the next couple seasons he will prove me right.

To be honest, I think thats an excellent comparison.  Of course I think Uribe has Tejada like potential and I really think over the course of the next couple seasons he will prove me right.

It'd be interesting to see Uribe's numbers if he didn't end up playing for the White Sox at our ball park. He's only hit in 2 hitter friendly ball parks in his career. :lol:

It'd be interesting to see Uribe's numbers if he didn't end up playing for the White Sox at our ball park. He's only hit in 2 hitter friendly ball parks in his career.  :lol:

Yeah but he hit much better here than he did in Coors, and that is the biggest hot spot for hitters

i think this lineup

SS Vizquel

CF Rowand

DH Big Hurt

1B Konerko

LF Lee

2B Uribe

RF Everett

3B Crede

C Davis

Bench - Timo

Bench - Burke

Bench - Gload

Bench - Harris

thats still a pretty good lineup, and thats with no additions aside from Vizquel... I think if we have that lineup, and use everything else to improve the pitching, we will have a VERY solid team for next year