Randy Johnson and Jon Lieber

DBAHO

I don't think that g/f automatically means anything. You play for fly balls in Oakland due to the spacious outfield and the roomy foul territory. SOmetimes you change your ptiching for the park. I do think Zito would be very good here. I think Mulder went to Thornwood (or one of the Thorns anyways). What was with Zito's down 03? He went something like 14-14 with a 3.30 era. That's not a bad year, he just was unlucky. I watched him a lot this year and I think he can worked with to return to 20-game form. Zito for Rowand? Come on people, it's not even close.

So, let's hypothetically make the move. We trade Rowand for Zito.

Who plays CF? And, for that matter, who plays RF?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that g/f automatically means anything. You play for fly balls in Oakland due to the spacious outfield and the roomy foul territory. SOmetimes you change your ptiching for the park. I do think Zito would be very good here. I think Mulder went to Thornwood (or one of the Thorns anyways). What was with Zito's down 03? He went something like 14-14 with a 3.30 era. That's not a bad year, he just was unlucky. I watched him a lot this year and I think he can worked with to return to 20-game form. Zito for Rowand? Come on people, it's not even close.

I'm keeping aaron. There are ways to get a top of the rotation starter without trading maybe are most valuable position player.

Any pitcher that has a 0.86 g/f ratio in our park will get rocked. Because anything hit in the air has a chance to fly out.

Well obviously you are more than entitled to your opinion but I think Zito would be great here because he's a great pitcher. People said that Clemens and Pettite would get hammered at Minute Maid and that didn't happen. I'm not trying to change your mind, just saying how I wouldn't miss Rowand if it meant we got Zito (not that it probably would anyways).

Well obviously you are more than entitled to your opinion but I think Zito would be great here because he's a great pitcher. People said that Clemens and Pettite would get hammered at Minute Maid and that didn't happen. I'm not trying to change your mind, just saying how I wouldn't miss Rowand if it meant we got Zito (not that it probably would anyways).

Rowand is in the top 10-15 best players for the amount of money he is making. Not very wise to trade a player like that imo.

Guest hawaiisoxfn
:headshake

HE WAS HURT IN 2003!!!  How does that 4.26 ERA compare to any of Jon Garland's years?  Randy Johnson is an ace, and will be an ace on whichever team he plays on next year.  I don't like the idea of trading Lee and Garland just for the fact that Carlos has a team option for 2006, and we don't have someone to step in Lee's place if he is traded (Gload is a first baseman, please keep him out of the outfield.)  I would trade Konerko, Garland, and a prospect for RJ.

They can have Garland for free for all I care. And I know he was hurt. But wheres the guarantee that he wont be hurt next year? The reason I wouldnt do this trade is because RJ has maybe one year left, while Carlos will be producing very well for another five to ten years, barring injury. If RJ was THE missing piece, Id consider it, but this team has other holes that will hold it back, like the bullpen.

Guest hawaiisoxfn
Where is the guarantee that any player will stay injury free?

Good point. But what I was getting at is that RJ is a pitcher, which increases hes chance for injury, and hes getting very old in baseball circles, which also increases his chance for injury. And either way, hes probably got one more good year left and then its over. Do we want to lose Carlos Lee for that?

They can have Garland for free for all I care. And I know he was hurt. But wheres the guarantee that he wont be hurt next year? The reason I wouldnt do this trade is because RJ has maybe one year left, while Carlos will be producing very well for another five to ten years, barring injury. If RJ was THE missing piece, Id consider it, but this team has other holes that will hold it back, like the bullpen.

Where's the guarantee that Carlos " will be producing very well for another five to ten years, barring injury?"

Who says Carlos is going to be a member of the White Sox for the next 5-10 years?

You say "RJ has maybe one year left" well guess what, RJ has one year left on his deal. Someone please explain to me how RJ is going to have a horrible 2005 despite having an amazing 2004 after coming back from surgery. If we traded for RJ, it would be to win big in 2005.

Guest hawaiisoxfn
Where's the guarantee that Carlos " will be producing very well for another five to ten years, barring injury?"

Who says Carlos is going to be a member of the White Sox for the next 5-10 years?

You say "RJ has maybe one year left" well guess what, RJ has one year left on his deal.  Someone please explain to me how RJ is going to have a horrible 2005 despite having an amazing 2004 after coming back from surgery.  If we traded for RJ, it would be to win big in 2005.

Again, this team has too many other holes that need to be fixed before we have any chance of going anywhere. RJ is not going to carry us to a WS by himself in 2005, which is why we should not do this trade.

If Caballo is traded, could that mean that K-Dub has another trade in the offing for an OF?  Maybe a Danny Bautista would be included in a trade with 'Zona?  Or perhaps a three-way trade with someone?  I do have faith in K-Dub that he has a plan to replace CLee if traded.  Thoughts?

Totally agree. He's not going to trade CLee and replace him with garbage. He saw the same crap that was Joe Borchard that we all did last year. He isn't going to replace Lee with Borchard. I say make the deal. Even if for one year, get Randy Johnson here, I have a feeling rebuilding is coming in 2006 anyway. Please KW, bring the Big Unit to the southside.

Zito hardy has has 2 rough years. Anyway, does anyone think he will actually fare well here? His g/f ratio is terrible.

If Mark Buehrle struggles to put up a sub-5 ERA (home) here, what makes you think the Zito would do so...?

I think Zito and Buehrle are just about equal, but I don't think Zito would do much better at the Cell than Buehrle...

If Mark Buehrle struggles to put up a sub-5 ERA (home) here, what makes you think the Zito would do so...?

I think Zito and Buehrle are just about equal, but I don't think Zito would do much better at the Cell than Buehrle...

Not that this really has to do with anything but if you had a choice right now between Zito or Buehrle who would you take?? I know Zito's got a better past history but if I had to take one of them right now I'd take buehrle. Just wondering what your guys opinions are, just an interesting question.

I think zito would struggle to have a 5.5 era here honestly. Buehrle's g/f ratio is in the middle of the pack, zito is one of the worst in baseball. Zito usually pitchers worse away from home, but his numbers away from home are still pretty good for the most part. On the road his era would probally be around 3.5, add that to his 5-5.5 home era and it's not too pretty. Like i said before, if the sox got him i would not be excited, but i would still be happy. :)

I would take Zito over Buehrle but I'd love to take them both. As far as the question of who would play outfield in a Rowand deal, I think there are plenty of options out there. We may as well resign ourselves to Jurassic playing mostly in right and I think there are plenty of relatively affordabel outfield options that we have discussed here ad nauseum.

I would take Zito over Buehrle but I'd love to take them both. As far as the question of who would play outfield in a Rowand deal, I think there are plenty of options out there. We may as well resign ourselves to Jurassic playing mostly in right and I think there are plenty of relatively affordabel outfield options that we have discussed here ad nauseum.

Actually this year, free agent outfielders either really good and expensive, or just suck. Not much of an in between.

There's guys like Jermaine Dye, Kapler, Burnitz, and Bautista all available that would be serviceable. Not many of them are excitable but there are going to be plenty of bargains with OF's as there usually are.

Dye is already decling at the age of 30. Kapler is not a starter, good chance burnitz will retire and baustisa is suitable but like you said, not so exciting.

Interesting notes in the Trib today have the Yankees trying to move Posada to either AZ or OAK for either Randy Johnson or Tim Hudson respectively.

Talked about it yesterday on PTI and they thought it was a terrible idea to dangle a player like Jorge. I agree with them. You just don't do that to a player like Jorge who has been so consistent and is still so good. IMHO.

Talked about it yesterday on PTI and they thought it was a terrible idea to dangle a player like Jorge. I agree with them. You just don't do that to a player like Jorge who has been so consistent and is still so good. IMHO.

Also ...The Yanks don't have another catcher even worthy of stepping in to that role....

Considering that Jorge Posada is a 33 year old catcher, the Yanks would be very fortunate to land Randy Johnson for him in a trade IMO. They could go out and get an Ausmus/Matheny type to replace him.

They don't need his offense, that's for sure. Sheffield, Rodriguez, Jeter, Matsui, etc. They're already stacked. Throwing Randy Johnson into their starting rotation would put them in prime position to dominate in the playoffs next year.

Playoff Rotation

1. Johnson

2. Mussina

3. Brown

4. Vazquez

Yikes.

Considering that Jorge Posada is a 33 year old catcher, the Yanks would be very fortunate to land Randy Johnson for him in a trade IMO.  They could go out and get an Ausmus/Matheny type to replace him.

They don't need his offense, that's for sure.  Sheffield, Rodriguez, Jeter, Matsui, etc.  They're already stacked.  Throwing Randy Johnson into their starting rotation would put them in prime position to dominate in the playoffs next year.

Playoff Rotation

1. Johnson

2. Mussina

3. Brown

4. Vazquez

Yikes.

I still see a 3 way deal being done. The Yankees sound like they really want to dump Brown. I could see us being involved by sending a couple of prospects to AZ for Brown, to round out the Posada/Unit trade.

Then our rotation is done, the Yankees get their star, and the DBacks get a name, and some guys to rebuild around.