One Possible Pen Option

SoxFanForever

Mariners declined their option on Eddie Guardado and it is possible for him to now become a FA. I know he had surgery and missed the end of the season but if the guy is healthy and passes a physical I think we could give him a shot. He has been pretty good and I know we all wanted him last year. Anyways, more info on the link below.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_sea&fext=.jsp

Mariners declined their option on Eddie Guardado and it is possible for him to now become a FA.  I know he had surgery and missed the end of the season but if the guy is healthy and passes a physical I think we could give him a shot.  He has been pretty good and I know we all wanted him last year.  Anyways, more info on the link below.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_sea&fext=.jsp

Wouldn't object to it..but how much is it gonna cost us? at least 7 or 8 mill...and we're cheap bastards..

How could it cost us $7-$8 mil when they just declined a $6 mil option? I think we could get him for $2-$3 mil with lots of performance clauses. Maybe an extra mil for 30 saves, 35 saves, and 40 saves. If he reaches 45 again, the second year of the contract would automatically be picked up. Just a thought.

The injuries forced the 34-year-old to miss the remainder of the season. But he tested the shoulder and knee during two workout sessions in Peoria, Ariz., in early October and passed with flying colors.

I wish they would've said what the test was? Soft toss? Throwing off the mound? Just his knee? Fast balls only? Damn Mariners, why won't they tell the world how well Everyday Eddie is doing?

No, even Foulke didn't get that much.  I don't know much about salaries, but I'd guess somewhere around $4 mil, depending on health.  I like the idea though.

yeah...now thinking about it..with the injury prob would only cost us 4 to 5 mill.....no way he's gonna accept less than that..even with his arm prob...

The option was for no more than five million, which shows how messed up his arm truly is.  Some team will take a chance on him, I wouldn't mind being that team, but even the four million he was guaranteed last year puts this White Sox team in a bind if he can't pitch.

The team option was for 6 million. His player option is 4 million and with all the possible incentives can be 4.5 million.

I wish they would've said what the test was?  Soft toss?  Throwing off the mound?  Just his knee?  Fast balls only?  Damn Mariners, why won't they tell the world how well Everyday Eddie is doing?

Nothing more has really been said other than this. But it is pretty old.

Sep. 21, 2004 - 9:13 am et

Eddie Guardado (shoulder) and Joel Pineiro (elbow) both had very positive throwing sessions yesterday.

Neither experienced any problems throwing from flat ground from 60 feet. Both Guardado and Pineiro are slated to pitch in the Fall Instructional League in Arizona next month.

Source: Seattle Times From rotoworld.

rotoworld disagreed with you... I tend to think that he won't get more than 4MIL anywhere else, not with his health concerns.  He'll be in Seattle again next season.

Actually i do agree with them now that i think about it since there is no guarauntee that he will get that much in free agency.

The team option was for 6 million. His player option is 4 million and with all the possible incentives can be 4.5 million.

So he'll probably take that, right? Anything to indicate that he'll decline it? No reason to chance it for $1 mil, max.

Oops, question's already answered. Sorry, a little slow on the buzzer today. :mellow:

So he'll probably take that, right?  Anything to indicate that he'll decline it?  No reason to chance it for $1 mil, max.

That would be the wisest choice. But who knows sometimes players do silly things. I highly doubt he can prove he is healthy in enough time to test free agency.

I think if a team takes a chance on Guardado, it'll be like a Ryan Dempster or Jon Lieber type of contract. Not much money early, but a few team options with more guaranteed money later on when his arm gets back to 100%.

Getting mixed signals on Guardado's health.  I read at point during the season that he'd be out till June or July of '05.  I wonder what the real deal is.

He has a torn rotator cuff that he is trying to rehab without surgery. Usually, this results in surgery, which would keep him out a season. I would pass.

Bringing in guys like Vizquel and Eddie would be crazy...rooting for the guys I hated so much during the mid 90s, not because of their personality, but because they were so damn consistent. I don't think Eddie is a sure thing, but who really is at this point? Take a long and hard look at him KW, he could be the best thing to happen to our pen since...um...well...Bobby Thigpen.