Pacers Suspensions

David Stern will want ratings.  He may be upset right now at his BUSINESS.  However, he knows a lot of this could have been prevented with the prevention of beer sales after halftime.  But that would kill profits.  He knows if all these players aren't in the Pacers-Pistons game on X-mas he'll lose some monster ratings.  He'll make sure they're back.

Does the NBA actually ever have "monster" ratings??

I don't believe his decision will have anything to do with TV ratings for an upcoming game at all. I do believe in the end, not all of the suspensions will be the same. Stern understands that sometimes tough decisions need to be made and those often will hurt in the short term. Ratings won't affect such decisions.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Jackson will be back for the XMas game. Everything he did was completely out of line. He could end up getting suspended the most games for all this.

I think Artest will get suspended 10-15 games...somewhere in that neighborhood. Wallace will probably get 10-15 games as well for being the instigator, but I think O'Neal only gets 5-10 games. O'Neal was fighting, I know that...but IIRC, he did not go into the stands and start fighting people like Artest and Jackson did.

Yeah, I would think that's what the NBA will do.  Althought I don't agree.

And then Ben Wallace longer than that.

The absolute most wallace will get is five games. They will view this just like any other fight that breaks out in a game. Two should actually be the most he gets, i mean he did shove artest but not much else after that.

The absolute most wallace will get is five games. They will view this just like any other fight that breaks out in a game. Two should actually be the most he gets, i mean he did shove artest but not much else after that.

If he didn't act like a little baby, none of this would have ever happened.

1.  How many hard fouls will Artest commit before they take serious action against him?

2.  Going into the crowd swinging (maybe at the wrong guy) is not self-defense.  Self-defense is knocking the cup away.

There was nothing abnormal about that foul. Ben Wallace's "boo-hoo, we're down 15...I'm going to cry" reaction afterwards was what was out of line.

He didn't only shove artest, he was challenging him to fight and continued to after artest avoided him, he was the instigator and IMO he deserves the most suspension time besides Jackson.

Artest- 50 games, and a review trial suspension after that.

Jackson- 30 games

O'Neal- 20 games

Wallace- 10 games

And obviously plenty of other ones, too. I heard ESPN hasn't even showed all of what happened.

Also, will the coaches get a punishment? Leagues tend to after a major fight but I think this was just way out of control.

Jackson- 30 games

O'Neal- 20 games

Wallace- 10 games

Artest should get the 2nd least next to o'neal getting 5-15. Oneal should get 5-10.Jackson should be 50. Wallace should be 20.

You must be a piston fan and an Artest hater.

Artest should get the 2nd least next to o'neal getting 5-15.  Oneal should get 5-10.Jackson should be 50.  Wallace should be 20.

You must be a piston fan and an Artest hater.

Artest went into the stands after a fan. That CANNOT happen, no matter the circumstances. He will and SHOULD get the longest suspension. His past history of blowups/suspensions will not help his case either.

There is a MAJOR difference between what Artest did and what Wallace did. That does not excuse what Wallace did, but the situation was basically over as far as the players were concerned when Artest went into the stands. The teams had been separated and while there was still some yelling going on, it was basically under control.

I am also not excusing the idiot fans, but this all would have been avoided if Artest could have kept his cool and let security handle things after the drink was thrown at him.

FWIW, ESPN did show as much as they could this morning. They took up between 30 and 40 minutes of a 60 minute Sportscenter with coverage of this crap. They showed the events in their entirety without editing it. It was extremely chaotic, that's for sure.

You can bet that Pistons/Pacers with all the players back after this huge incident on Christmas Day would draw monster ratings.

I think you are missing my point. Outside of NBA cities, the sentiment is quite apathetic toward the NBA. NO ONE CARES. Even great ratings for an NBA game still are not "monster ratings". They don't get "monster ratings" for the playoffs.

The Pacers actually played only 7 guys tonight. Apparently they might have to activate some injured players because it is a rule that they have to dress 8 players.

I really hope that nothing too major happens. Suspending Artest or anyone else for 20 games or more would be pretty harsh. I know it is bad, but as someone said, everything was provoked and it just got out of hand. I've seen two articles now talking about kicking Artest out of the league, which I think is flat out ridiculous. Several players have done as much if not more than Artest and stayed in the league, and none of them had the type of ability on the court that Artest does, so I doubt the league would choose to go that route. I'm hoping it's treated similarly to the Dodgers/Cubs hat stealing incident, where moronic fans were held at fault much more than the players. It's kind of hard to guage suspension time though because the two most comparable situations I can think of (Yankees/Red Sox, Rangers) happened late in the season. I'd personally like to see something like 10 for Artest, 5-10 each for Jackson, O'Neal, and Wallace. However, I think the league is going to make an example of them, especially since the suspensions are indefinite at the moment.

Does anyone remember how long Vernon Maxwell was gone when he did something similar a while back? That was arguably worse because it was just him charging into the stands, not in the context of a fight. I think it was about 20 games, but I am not certain.

Found it on ESPN. He was suspended 10 games and fined 20,000.

Jackson- 30 games

O'Neal- 20 games

Wallace- 10 games

And obviously plenty of other ones, too. I heard ESPN hasn't even showed all of what happened.

Also, will the coaches get a punishment? Leagues tend to after a major fight but I think this was just way out of control.

I can't see you being even remotely close on that one. They'll be much less than that.

ESPN did a poll concerning length of suspensions of the players involved. In each case, 10 games or more was leading. That's B.S. I was also amazed that 80 percent of respondents rated this the worst fan-player incident they have ever seen. I expected it to lead since it just happened but 80%?