# Notre Dame

# Saint Joseph's

# Wichita State

# Holy Cross

# Davidson

# Vanderbilt

# Texas A&M

# Virginia Tech

I think it's amazing that we expect a 20 year old kid stand 15 feet away from a 18 inch hole that he has throw a 12 inch ball through while fans are swaying back and forth trying to distract him, yet golfers feel that they are entitled to total silence. :lol:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
I think it's amazing that we expect a 20 year old kid stand 15 feet away from a 18 inch hole that he has throw a 12 inch ball through while fans are swaying back and forth trying to distract him, yet golfers feel that they are entitled to total silence. :lol:

At least in Basketball you don't get idiots screamin "Get in the Hole!!!!" :lol:

# Miami OH - doubtful

# UAB - possible

# Buffalo - possible

# DePaul - possible

# Northern Iowa - possible

# Indiana - no chance in hell

# Maryland - doubtful with Utah and Pacific losing (although NM may have gotten in anyway)

# Notre Dame - possible

# Saint Joseph's - doubtful

# Wichita State - possible, but leaning towards doubtful

# Holy Cross - not gonna happen

# Davidson - no chance in hell

# Vanderbilt - see above

# Texas A&M - nope

# Virginia Tech - see Indiana

I didn't see Iowa or NC St. on this list so I am not sure where you thought these two stand, but my guess is they both get in.

Of those possible........ I think UAB would nose out DePaul. I'd give Northern Iowa the nod over Wichita St.

So that would narrow it down to UAB, Northern Iowa, Buffalo, Notre Dame, and I'll throw Maryland and St. Joseph's in for discussion purposes.

The MAC is a solid conference but I don't think it is as good as the Missouri Valley (at least this year). Buffalo had no significant out of conference wins and no "good losses". The only team worth a damn they played out of conference was UConn and they got hammered.

Buffalo is out.....

Northern Iowa beat Iowa State and played both Cincinnati and Iowa close in road games, so they get credit for "good losses" there. They beat Southern Illinois once which is better than any team in the MAC and beat Western Michigan on Bubble Saturday or whatever the hell they call that day. WMU isn't a powerhouse by any means, but they were 19-12 and 11-7 in the MAC so you can't write them off as a weak sister either. They were 7-3 in their Last 10 and lost to SMS (soon to be known as Missouri State) in the conference tourney who they had beaten twice earlier. SMS then beat SIU and finished 18-12 so that is not a terrible loss, just bad timing.

Notre Dame is a tough call. Their out of conference schedule aside from Indiana and DePaul was horribly weak. Beating IU at that time wasn't a major accomplishment, but you have to give them some credit for winning at IU where they had not for many, many years prior. Their resume consists of beating Villanova, West Virginia, UConn and Boston College. All were home wins, which doesn't give them the boost a road win or two would have. But they finished 9-7 in the Big East which was arguably the top conference in the land this year. Their only bad losses were Michigan earlier in the year when they still had Horton, and Rutgers to end the year. They finished 4-6 in their last 10.

UAB is interesting because they finished the year hot, beat DePaul twice in the last week, won on the road at Houston who at the time was a bubble contender and they competed well with Louisville twice and Cincinnati, barely losing on the road. But beyond that, there isn't much to look at. They did play Oklahoma State fairly well when OK St. was real hot at the beginning of the year. You could argue that beating Clemson has some clout because of Clemson's 3 wins over Maryland, but that might be a stretch. Their nonconference schedule wasn't horrible (202-181 overall opponents record), but there was nothing that stands out about it either. They finished 10-6 in C-USA.

Maryland is a much more interesting team mainly because it plays in the ACC and has two wins over Duke. Their non-conference schedule consisted 4 games even worth looking at. They beat Memphis and Temple, and lost to Wisconsin and George Washington. Other non-conference games included Jackson St., Mercer, Liberty, Mt. St. Mary's, American U, and George Mason. They finished 3-7 and went 7-9 in the ACC, which is no shame, but a few nice non-conference wins better than Temple and Memphis would help.

St. Joseph's had a very strange season. They finished 19-11. They were 14-2 in conference play but were 3-8 out of conference, losing to the likes of San Francisco and Drexel. They also got blown out by Kansas and Villanova. The A-10 had only 5 of 12 teams have overall winning records. They were 6-2 against those five teams counting their conference tournament loss. They also lost to Rhode Island which finished 6-22.

While St. Joseph's had a gaudy conference mark and was 8-2 in their Last 10, I see it as deceiving. The A-10 was notably weaker than in the past and 8 of their conference wins came while bottom feeding. Their best non-conference win was Davidson, which is nothing to brag about. I just don't see them getting in.

Maryland will have to live on the allure of playing in the big conference if they want in. Going 3-7 in their last 10 and losing 5 out of their last 6 doesn't give the committee reason to think they are playing their best basketball right now. I'll be surprised if they get in.

That leaves us down to UAB, Notre Dame and Northern Iowa. In all honesty, I am having trouble differentiating between the three. My hunch is that UAB gets in and they flip a coin between Notre Dame and Northern Iowa. I would not be surprised if UAB doesn't get in however, that's how close I think it is. UAB does seem to be the only team in this list really coming in with a hot hand.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I was actually thinking DePaul AND UAB are the best of that group.

That may be. I elimated DePaul just by the thinking that UAB would get a bid first, yet it is possible they are the best two. I should have given that more thought.

Interestingly enough, CBS Sportsline has Northern Iowa, Miami (OH), Depaul and UAB in. That was before Utah lost, so one of those teams will have to go.

They have Miami (Ohio), Iowa, Northern Iowa, DePaul as their last 4 in and Wichita State, Maryland, Indiana, Notre Dame as their last 4 out.

Now I'm still nervous because I think some people will have a hard time giving Iowa the credit they deserve because of there big 10 conference record.

On a sidenote, is SIU gonna get it? Cause if they are, then Northern Iowa, SIU and SMS would all be getting in from there conference which may be too many from there conference. Of course SIU and SMS have both at one time or another in the past few years proven they can make some noise, but for SMS that was a while ago and we all know Dr. Tom Davis is a heck of a coach which could give Northern Iowa the possibilities.

Still I don't know if they'd be willing to put 3 teams in. Of course maybe I'm wrong cause I didn't follow SIU that much, but my thinking was they were better than Northern Iowa this year.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
SIU is a 100% lock, and they will get around a 7 seed.

Thats what I thought. So is the question that will be asked in regards to Northern Iowa is whether there conference deserves 3 teams or not. That may be what gets them in the end. Had SIU won the conference instead of SMS, I think Northern Iowa would of probably been a lock.

Now they will probably be the last team in if it happens. I hope they do get in, just not over my Hawkeyes, LOL. I'll be rooting for Dr. Tom.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Thats what I thought.  So is the question that will be asked in regards to Northern Iowa is whether there conference deserves 3 teams or not.  That may be what gets them in the end.  Had SIU won the conference instead of SMS, I think Northern Iowa would of probably been a lock. 

Now they will probably be the last team in if it happens.  I hope they do get in, just not over my Hawkeyes, LOL.  I'll be rooting for Dr. Tom.

SIU did win the conference.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Thats what I thought.  So is the question that will be asked in regards to Northern Iowa is whether there conference deserves 3 teams or not.  That may be what gets them in the end.  Had SIU won the conference instead of SMS, I think Northern Iowa would of probably been a lock. 

Now they will probably be the last team in if it happens.  I hope they do get in, just not over my Hawkeyes, LOL.  I'll be rooting for Dr. Tom.

Jason, I really believe they don't look at it that way. When it comes down to the final 6 or 8 teams to be considered for the final few spots, I think those teams and their resumes are compared against each other. Whether it is the MVC getting a 3rd bid or the ACC getting a 6th or the Big East a 7th, I don't think comes into play. They look at whether Northern Iowa, Notre Dame or Maryland deserves it over the other. I am just using those three teams as an example, but you get the idea.

I know many people and most of the talking heads think conference first, but when it gets down to those last few spots, I really don't think their conference affiliation means much. What they did over the course of the year does.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
how?

I meant to say Illinois got f***ed. I personally don't think they'll get out of this region, 'zona and osu are damn good teams but obviously Illinois has the talent to get out of it, they're just in a tough region.