A's Trade for Kendall

ManSooLee

I think you're missing the bigger picture here.

Optimist will replace Kendall sigs and avatars with a new flavor of the week that pessimists know the White Sox have no desire of obtaining due to money issues.

It's a vicious cycle. I guess Sox fans can be thankful for the Organization being consistently reliable when it comes to NOT signing anyone of worth or value that isn't already associated with the White Sox.

Cannot dispute they don't do as much as they should. Cannot dispute they don't spend as much as I'd like.

However, do the names Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras ring a bell with you?

It's not as if they're not trying to obtain players, and not trying to win. They're far more aggressive now than they ever were when Schueler was at the helm.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot dispute they don't do as much as they should.  Cannot dispute they don't spend as much as I'd like. 

However, do the names Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras ring a bell with you?

It's not as if they're not trying to obtain players, and not trying to win.  They're far more aggressive now than they ever were when Schueler was at the helm.

And at twice the payroll that Ron Schueler had. The Sox payroll had more than doubled from 2000-2004, but that gets conviently forgotten as usual.

How will I ever move on in life?

This news is terribly depressing.

I have no reason to live anymore.

It's just baseball.  I don't know what you were implying.  So we didn't get Kendall, shucks.  It's Thanksgiving...there is a lot in life to be thankful for; the sporting community is one small microcosm in an otherwise meaningful existance.  You need to put into context whatever gets said here.  I don't think anyone is losing sleep over this.  Please.

I never expected Kendall supporters to 'cancel season tickets' or 'kick their dogs.' That's just ridiculous. CubKilla has a sense of what I'm talking about. It will remain a constant cycle of ineptness and heartbreak when discussing quality players signing with the Sox.

One player will be noted, and when he's signed/traded to another organization everyone just ignores it. It's easy to ignore because at this point in the offseason some still have an illusion Williams will siginificantly upgrade this club. When Randy Johnson becomes a Yankee, will everyone dismiss it and cite "this is just baseball." YES, it's 'just' baseball, but no one can deny the emotions of this game.

I don't intend to create a thread signifying another KW miss; just understand my position. I have absolutely no faith in this organization to properly address our holes.

I'm aware the purpose of this site is to discuss/debate issues and players which may fit our club. I'm also aware pessimism is frowned upon on this site, whereas ridiculous fantasy lineups are encouraged. That's fine with me. I expect to be lambasted following any notion of failure with this organization.

I agree with your sentiment - all except for the last part. It's not so much that pessimism is frowned upon, but when it is continually expressed, over and over and over and over ... it's reasonable to expect people will get called out about it.

Same is true for ridiculous fantasy lineups ... when those are posted over and over and over, people get called out about it.

I will admit to having a fairly low tolerance for incessant negativity, because it's my personal feeling it becomes whining very quickly. Having been in human resources for 15 years, I have had quite enough whining, thank you. But that is just me and I do recognize this is a place to express thoughts, both positive and negative.

In fact I have a good friend who posts here and I chide him all the time about negativity ... he tells me I'm nuts and we move on to the next topic. :lol: Any guesses who that is?? :bang

Edit: flash, IMO you are an excellent poster and I don't sense an overly negative posture from you whatsoever. I think you state your opinions in a very balanced manner.

I don't intend to create a thread signifying another KW miss; just understand my position.  I have absolutely no faith in this organization to properly address our holes.

Your argument lacks focus. So is it, you think some of the posters here are down on not aquiring Kendall? some of the posters here are living in a fantasy "baseball" world? or you have no faith in our organization to adress team needs?

Don't accuse posters of things they have never before done...This one in particular.

are you one of the crusty old cynics from the other message board? Get your facts straight...I am NOT a naive little White Soxer. I was a fan of aquiring Kendall...remember what Mom said about people that assume.

As much as I wanted Kendall on this team we all knew that if it was between us and a west coast team he would demand the trade to the west coast no matter how much better our deal was, and theirs no doubt in my mind we gave them a better offer.

I see no point in blaming the Sox organization for this. Some players just won't want to come here.

Your argument lacks focus.  So is it, you think some of the posters here are down on not aquiring Kendall?  some of the posters here are living in a fantasy "baseball" world? or you have no faith in our organization to adress team needs?

Lacking focus? Are you critiquing my post or editing a research paper? Perhaps you could tell me when "AddisonStSox's Guide To Properly Constructing A Post" is available at bookstores. I wasn't aware, as a fan, I couldn't be critical of all three subjects.

I agree with your sentiment - all except for the last part.  It's not so much that pessimism is frowned upon, but when it is continually expressed, over and over and over and over ... it's reasonable to expect people will get called out about it.

Same is true for ridiculous fantasy lineups ... when those are posted over and over and over, people get called out about it.

I will admit to having a fairly low tolerance for incessant negativity, because it's my personal feeling it becomes whining very quickly.  Having been in human resources for 15 years, I have had quite enough whining, thank you.  But that is just me and I do recognize this is a place to express thoughts, both positive and negative.

In fact I have a good friend who posts here and I chide him all the time about negativity ... he tells me I'm nuts and we move on to the next topic.  :lol:  Any guesses who that is??  :bang

Edit:  flash, IMO you are an excellent poster and I don't sense an overly negative posture from you whatsoever.  I think you state your opinions in a very balanced manner.

Your Nuts, I am realistic and very smart when it comes to the Whitesox. By the way you were the one who was telling me we would get Kendall. I guess you and most others forgot he had a no trade clause. you see This was not KW fault. (Beastly) Kendall wanted the West Coast.

Although I admit I am currently not Bullish on this year, I will also indicate that the free agency and trade market won't hit until mid December. By now we should all know this. Furthermore, we will make several moves my hope is they are the right ones.

Your Nuts, I am realistic and very smart when it comes to the Whitesox. By the way you were the one who was telling me we would get Kendall. I guess you and most others forgot he had a no trade clause. you see This was not KW fault. (Beastly) Kendall wanted the West Coast.

Although I admit I am currently not Bullish on this year, I will also indicate that the free agency and trade market won't hit until mid December. By now we should all know this.  Furthermore, we will make several moves my hope is they are the right ones.

Are you nuts or what? I'm serious, please. Everyone and their brother knew Kendall had a no trade, all I said, if you choose to recall it correctly, is Kendall would've been a good fit here. And you agreed with it.

They inquired about him supposedly, which goes to show they're serious about improving the team. Now, just asking about guys isn't enough, they'll have to actually make some moves. But the good news is they're apparantly leaving no stone unturned.

What's the matter with you, are you kiddin' me, it was rockin' in our downtown last nite. Potter's to watch all the "scenery" walk by and then a burger. I'm tellin ya.

You give him the same rap most people give Jose Guillen

Both were on playoff teams last year and both were a big reason why they were on their playoff team.  He's not a cancer, and he's not a piece of s***.  He's a damn fine ballplayer, and I'd take him on my team any day of the week

Also...the Pirates need a 1Bman...and I'm pretty sure that both Mackowiak and Wilson can play 1B pretty well.

I'm not sure about Bradley, but from what I heard from an A's scout last summer, I would never ever ever want Jose Guilllen on the White Sox. Sure he's a helluva a player, but from what this scout told me, he's possibly the biggest asshole that's ever existed.

CWSOX45

And at twice the payroll that Ron Schueler had.  The Sox payroll had more than doubled from 2000-2004, but that gets conviently forgotten as usual.

Yes but how much has ticket prices gone up since then as well?

I have a ticket from 99 sec 105 costs $8.50 for weekend game.

Now the same ticket costs $30..

So the ticket prices have nearly tripled, but our payroll has only doubled...

And your ok with that?

The main problem, is we are paying to much for players to do nothing.

Oh no look who's online again, jeez.

Hey do they have those chipolte chicken nachos all the time at Red Door?

Do you think they'll make a move this coming week, or the week after?

Are you nuts or what?  I'm serious, please.  Everyone and their brother knew Kendall had a no trade, all I said, if you choose to recall it correctly, is Kendall would've been a good fit here.  And you agreed with it.

They inquired about him supposedly, which goes to show they're serious about improving the team.  Now, just asking about guys isn't enough, they'll have to actually make some moves.  But the good news is they're apparantly leaving no stone unturned.

What's the matter with you, are you kiddin' me, it was rockin' in our downtown last nite.  Potter's to watch all the "scenery" walk by and then a burger. I'm tellin ya.

Please, you need to remember the conversations. Why would you call me out and not expect me to answer. Your smarter than that chief. I remembeer you were telling me that the Pirates would be interested in konerko. yea right. now I need a tape recording for our conversations. next time just speak into my lapel.

PS i am going out tonight, takingmy nephew to the bars to find him a girlfriend. he has no lines, nice kid but shy around women. Unreal.

Please, you need to remember the conversations. Why would you call me out and not expect me to answer. Your smarter than that chief. I remembeer you were telling me that the Pirates would be interested in konerko. yea right. now I need a tape recording for our conversations. next time just speak into my lapel.

PS i am going out tonight, takingmy nephew to the bars to find him a girlfriend. he has no lines, nice kid but shy around women. Unreal.

"Would" is different than "might".

The Pirates "might" have been interested in Konerko. Pittsburgh has been talking about needing a big bat. Cripes.

If the nephew is looking for a girlfriend, why oh why would he take Uncle Quickman to plow the field for him? Is he nuts? The only lines he'll pick up tonite are:

"I'm serious, I'm tellin' ya. Are you kiddin' me? Please. (when the girl turns him down to dance), What's the matter with you, are you nuts?" :lolhitting

Yes but how much has ticket prices gone up since then as well?

I have a ticket from 99 sec 105 costs $8.50 for weekend game.

Now the same ticket costs $30..

So the ticket prices have nearly tripled, but our payroll has only doubled...

And your ok with that?

The main problem, is we are paying to much for players to do nothing.

Actually I am not sure if you are full of it again, or if that particular ticket is just an aberration, because I don't ever remember tickets being that cheap in the OF. When I was going to games in the mid 90's the UD reserved were $8. More than likely you have a half price ticket, which would put the full ticket price at $17 each (which would fall under LD reserved in sec 105), which makes much more sense.

Now for the facts.

If you look at average ticket prices 2004 was $21.56

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_mlb2004.cfm

In 2000 it was $14.30.

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_mlb2000.cfm

Doing the math that is a 50% ticket increase, to accompany a 110% increase in payroll ($31mil to $65mil)

So in reality, your arguement has holes in it. In reality you have gotten twice as much in payroll for what you are paying in tickets. So I guess that means (gasp) that JR and company has dipped into revenues to make up that difference. :o

"Would" is different than "might".

The Pirates "might" have been interested in Konerko.  Pittsburgh has been talking about needing a big bat.  Cripes.

If the nephew is looking for a girlfriend, why oh why would he take Uncle Quickman to plow the field for him?  Is he nuts?  The only lines he'll pick up tonite are:

"I'm serious, I'm tellin' ya.  Are you kiddin' me?  Please.  (when the girl turns him down to dance), What's the matter with you, are you nuts?" :lolhitting

He needs guidance, you know women are mostly nuts and will eventually cause you to go broke and give you health problems. Once he knows that he can get over being rejected. How do you think i got my wife.... oh yeah and lots of money really helps out...oh and a big house....and a foriegn car.... and nice vacations... oh yeah then your broke.

he needs to learn the ropes. We will be dining at the usual spot tonight then we will separate and I will take him to the better establishments.

He needs guidance, you know women are mostly nuts and will eventually cause you to go broke and give you health problems. Once he knows that he can get over being rejected. How do you think i got my wife.... oh yeah and lots of money really helps out...oh and a big house....and a foriegn car.... and nice vacations... oh yeah then your broke.

he needs to learn the ropes. We will be dining at the usual spot tonight then we will separate and I will take him to the better establishments.

Hilarious post, one of your better ones. :bang

He will not score with 100% of the women he doesn't approach.

Women are often more scared than guys are, even the very hot ones.

That's about all he needs to know.

I may be down there with a buddy from highschool/college ... unfortunately he has the same issues your nephew does, but add in 20+ years.

It's crazy, that's what it is.

PS - Try not to be grouchydelic tonite, that will help. :D

Hilarious post, one of your better ones.  :bang

He will not score with 100% of the women he doesn't approach.

Women are often more scared than guys are, even the very hot ones.

That's about all he needs to know.

I may be down there with a buddy from highschool/college ... unfortunately he has the same issues your nephew does, but add in 20+ years.

It's crazy, that's what it is.

PS - Try not to be grouchydelic tonite, that will help.  :D

I am never a grouch, just realistic! Oh and by the way back on the sox, I can name teams that MIGHT be interested in alot of things. things will happen prior to sox fest and everyone will think we will go to the playoffs again and win this division. they are setting it up exactly the way they always do.

Tell him to quit hanging around the college bars maybe he can get into a conversation that doesn't include Music videos.

Key dates: Arbitration deadline, opens up the FA market.

12/19, the non-tender deadline, there will be some interesting names out there.

The buddy in question hangs around the townie bars in Brookfield, his act grew old there at least 15 years ago, you know what I'm sayin'.

I still think they will sign one of these FA starters. Probably not the one we want, like Leiber, but hey, we must be nuts or something.

Key dates:  Arbitration deadline, opens up the FA market.

12/19, the non-tender deadline, there will be some interesting names out there.

The buddy in question hangs around the townie bars in Brookfield, his act grew old there at least 15 years ago, you know what I'm sayin'.

I still think they will sign one of these FA starters.  Probably not the one we want, like Leiber, but hey, we must be nuts or something.

Sometimes I think KW shoots himself in the foot. He talks about getting a number starters and moving everyone else down. Argueably there is a handfull of those available. He should jsut shut up and say we want to solve our number five spot. That way if he gets a number 1 via trade or free agent everyone would be happy. if he gets a five then everyone would be happy. This club always boxes themselves in a corner.