2004-2005 High School Basketball Thread!

Brian

Earlier this year we beat them by 25. They have been on a roll since then though. Coach Punter said this is the best team he has had since the Bishop and Drew years, which is pretty solid. The amazing thing is we only had one returning starter from last years semi-state team.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Nokona @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Winner playes the GBN Scheyers.

LOL, sad but true! Though, this team wouldn't be where they are now if they didn't have the support players for Scheyer that they do. Did you go to the game to check us out? I couldn't get a ride to the game :angry: , but I will be announcing the game on Friday for our HS radio and tv station. A webcast will be available online.

Looks like Warren got beat down by Waukegan 63-49. I'm not really all that surprised, Waukegan is a hot/cold team that can beat anyone in the state when hot.

:bringit Conant! :D

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
CLASS 4A

1. MICHIGAN CITY

Concord (22-1) vs. Gary West Side (17-4).

South Bend Clay (13-11) vs. Valparaiso (21-2).

It looks like it will be a Valpo versus Concord matchup. Last year we beat Concord in this same game in Michigan City as well. I sure hope its a repeat this year.

So how does the state tournament in IN work now that they have those stupid classes?

It used to be sectionals, then a 4 team regional, a 4 team semi-state and then the Final Four. What's the current slate?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
So how does the state tournament in IN work now that they have those stupid classes?

It used to be sectionals, then a 4 team regional, a 4 team semi-state and then the Final Four.  What's the current slate?

I can't remember what the semi-state looks like, as I haven't been to one since the reorganization disaster, but state finals is just the 4 classes finals games. I have taken in one of those since the class system, and while still lots of fun... It was no where near what it used to be.

I saw the 1995 games with Valpo, SB Clay, New Albany, and an Indy team I can't remember. There were 35,000 people in the dome and it was crazy.

Then I saw a few years back with Marion and Bloomington South when Zack Randolph's team played Jared Jeffries and Sean May's team for the title, and while the 4A game was loud, the 1A and 2A games were half full and a joke.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 03:59 AM)
Looks like Warren got beat down by Waukegan 63-49. I'm not really all that surprised, Waukegan is a hot/cold team that can beat anyone in the state when hot.

:bringit Conant! :D

Dan, you obviously do not live in this area, cuz this is the biggest upset in years in this sectional.

Waukegan played out of their minds, not missing a shot, and Warren was sloppy. Kudos to Waukegan.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Dan, you obviously do not live in this area, cuz this is the biggest upset in years in this sectional.

Waukegan played out of their minds, not missing a shot, and Warren was sloppy. Kudos to Waukegan.

I said Warren was overrated and Waukegan is hot/cold. Obviously Warren was the favorite and the better team going in. I think they would probably beat Waukegan 7 or 8 times out of 10. Those 2 or 3 times Waukegan gets on fire and can beat anyone. I meant no disespect to Waukegan because, as I said, when they are hitting on all cylinders, like it sounds like they did last night, they can beat anyone in the state. I've seen Waukegan play a few times over the past few years with the same makeup of the team and same star players (Gaiter, Frazier, Vega) and there is no shame in losing to that team when they are hot. It sucks, I've been there, but Warren should be better next year.

Weird. Somehow my post got deleted.

With Coach K (YES THE COACH K FROM DUKE) in attendance, Scheyer dropped 36 against Lake Park and GBN won by 16 at Conant's sectional. Tonight Conant and Maine South play to decide who gets Team Scheyer on Friday. I'm pumped.

Also rumor has it that Bruce Weber will be in attendance on Friday. Other rumors have sparked about how he's bringing some players along with.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Also rumor has it that Bruce Weber will be in attendance on Friday.  Other rumors have sparked about how he's bringing some players along with.

Weber has already been to a game this year. If Dee is in attendance I'm going to have to get his autograph. Despite the team he plays for, he is fun to watch.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Weird. Somehow my post got deleted.

With Coach K (YES THE COACH K FROM DUKE) in attendance, Scheyer dropped 36 against Lake Park and GBN won by 16 at Conant's sectional. Tonight Conant and Maine South play to decide who gets Team Scheyer on Friday.  I'm pumped.

Also rumor has it that Bruce Weber will be in attendance on Friday.  Other rumors have sparked about how he's bringing some players along with.

Bruce was in attendance to see Proviso East vs DGS during the season... for PE of course.

Edited by CubsSuck1

If anyone wants to listen to the GBN vs. Conant game or just wants to hear my voice out of curiousity, I will be announcing the game. It is a 7:30 tip, but we will probably start a few mins before that to preview the game. Audio Link If for whatever reason that link is wrong or doesn't work go here and click on the obvious LIVE FRIDAY BOYS BASKETBALL link.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)
How did bobby frasor do?

Frasor fouled out mid-way through the 4th quarter, which means we beat them with out him in 2 OT's. Speaking oh him, I'm going out to eat with him tommorow and then heading over to the BT tourney. Of course, he has front row seats, and I have standing room only.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Frasor fouled out mid-way through the 4th quarter, which means we beat them with out him in 2 OT's. Speaking oh him, I'm going out to eat with him tommorow and then heading over to the BT tourney. Of course, he has front row seats, and I have standing room only.

He can't hook you up with a seat? That's cold.

What a game GBN vs. Conant. GBN led the whole first half and led by 5 at halftime. 3rd quarter GBN doesn't score in the first 4 minutes and Conant takes the lead. Back and forth the rest of the quarter, but it was still tied after 3. Conant scores the first 4 points of the 4th quarter, but immediately after that Sean Wallis hit a huge 3 to cut it to 1. Then star Jon Scheyer hit 2 free throws to give us the lead by 1. Inside 2 minutes, GBN stalls forcing Conant to foul with a minute and a half left. Scheyer rimmed out on the front end of a 1 and 1 and Conant had the ball down 1. They stalled a minute and then called TO with 29 seconds. They stall a bit more and start the possession with about 15 seconds left. One guy drives pulls a duck under move that he turned into a semi hook shot which missed. With the D collapsed on him, Conant grabbed the rebound where a guy missed a 2 ft layup from a sharp angle. He basically rushed it and just threw it too hard. It was strong and barely grazed the rim on the way down. Ball game. WOW!

GO NORTH! :headbang Hell of an effort by Conant, cheers to the Conant fans here. :drink