A New SS for the Sox on Wed?

beck72

The Sox need a guy who can give them 60-70 innings from the pen, who can go 1+ innings at any given time, and pitch a few days in a row. Osuna isn't cut out for that role

He can give us 60 innings at least no reason to believe other wise unless he is injured. He has always pitched more innings than games every year of his career.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can give us 60 innings at least no reason to believe other wise unless he is injured. He has always pitched more innings than games every year of his career.

How did we lose Osuna in the first place? And, how did we aquire him the first time? The only thing I remember about Osuna was he was with us one year, had a pretty damn good season, and that was it. Why was he here only one year?

How did we lose Osuna in the first place?  And, how did we aquire him the first time?  The only thing I remember about Osuna was he was with us one year, had a pretty damn good season, and that was it.  Why was he here only one year?

Departed as part of the Colon trade. We got him in a trade with the Dodgers.

How did we lose Osuna in the first place?  And, how did we aquire him the first time?  The only thing I remember about Osuna was he was with us one year, had a pretty damn good season, and that was it.  Why was he here only one year?

Signed him as a free agent, he was injured all of his first year here outside of 4.1 innings. Then as jackie said he was part of the three way trade that got us colon.

Renteria isn't worth $7 million a year to the Sox when they have Juan Uribe entering his prime years and on the cheap. I'd rather save the $6 million salary differential and put it to picking up Luis Castillo's $5 million salary and his .370 career OBP from the Marlins, or putting it toward Matt Clement. There's more value to be had elsewhere. Or, in the alternative, paying Garciaparra an extra $2 million for the production he brings.

Disappointingly, there are very few free agents in the positions the Sox need the most, like catcher and second base and third base.

As to third base, I do have a feeling that Joe Crede will turn around next year. He knows he has a problem with his swing and is dedicated to correcting it. In addition, people don't hit like Joe hit in the second half of 2003 without having talent. He'll turn it around in 2004 and I foresee a .280/.330/.480 season from him - with a 25-30 Cell-aided home run total. He still won't walk nearly enough, but he'll hit for a higher average and have more consistent power. With a .810 OPS, he'll be in the top half of AL third basemen, and no longer a 20-30 run drag on the offense.

The other issues is how much Konerko and Rowand come down to Earth. My thought is that Paulie loses 8-10 homers, but keeps around the same average and OBP. Rowand I think hits .280/.330/.440 himself, meaning that he'll be a solid CF contributor, but not much of a corner outfielder offensively.

Look for Carlos to go nuts in his walk year. Think .310/.380/.550 with 35+ homers. I'm dead serious. He's in his prime, has figured out how to hit, and is going to come in loaded for bear in 2005.

Renteria isn't worth $7 million a year to the Sox when they have Juan Uribe entering his prime years and on the cheap.  I'd rather save the $6 million salary differential and put it to picking up Luis Castillo's $5 million salary and his .370 career OBP from the Marlins, or putting it toward Matt Clement.  There's more value to be had elsewhere.  Or, in the alternative, paying Garciaparra an extra $2 million for the production he brings.

Disappointingly, there are very few free agents in the positions the Sox need the most, like catcher and second base and third base.

As to third base, I do have a feeling that Joe Crede will turn around next year.  He knows he has a problem with his swing and is dedicated to correcting it.  In addition, people don't hit like Joe hit in the second half of 2003 without having talent.  He'll turn it around in 2004 and I foresee a .280/.330/.480 season from him - with a 25-30 Cell-aided home run total.  He still won't walk nearly enough, but he'll hit for a higher average and have more consistent power.  With a .810 OPS, he'll be in the top half of AL third basemen, and no longer a 20-30 run drag on the offense.

The other issues is how much Konerko and Rowand come down to Earth.  My thought is that Paulie loses 8-10 homers, but keeps around the same average and OBP.  Rowand I think hits .280/.330/.440 himself, meaning that he'll be a solid CF contributor, but not much of a corner outfielder offensively.

Look for Carlos to go nuts in his walk year.  Think .310/.380/.550 with 35+ homers.  I'm dead serious.  He's in his prime, has figured out how to hit, and is going to come in loaded for bear in 2005.

Doesn't Carlos still have another year left on his contract?

It's not that I wouldn't want Renteria if the Chairman broke out the checkbook, it's that I think that the Sox have a limited budget and the money spent on Edgar would be better spent on a more desparate need. Here's my equation:

Renteria VORP - Uribe VORP

Assuming that Renteria will cost the same or more than Wright/Clement, I would prefer the Sox get Wright or Clement.

Of course, with an unlimited budget, we aren't talking about Renteria...I would be asking for Garciaparra, Pedro, Radke, Jeff Kent, Carlos Beltran, Jason Varitek, Corek Koskie, Matt Clement etc. How's this unlimited budget lineup?

SS Garciaparra

2B Kent

CF Beltran

LF Lee

DH Thomas

1B Konerko

C Varitek

3B Koskie

RF Rowand (shoot, would we even keep Rowand around?)

P Pedro

P Radke

P Garcia

P Buehrle

P Clement

All this can be yours for the low, low payroll of...

$17 Beltran

$14 Pedro

$9 Radke

$9 Garciaparra

$9 Wright

$9 Garcia

$9 Kent

$8 Lee

$8 Konerko

$8 Thomas

$8 Varitek

$6 Buehrle

$6 Koskie

$6 Clement

$2 Rowand

Total - $128 million. Then you need a bullpen.

Here's a shocker - THE YANKEES ALREADY HAVE A PAYROLL FOR NEXT YEAR IN EXCESS OF THAT "DREAM" FREE AGENT CLASS.