White Sox Sign Jermaine Dye

EvilJester99

I think it's safe to say a big bat will be traded soon with Dye being added. While PK's most likely the one to go [even though few teams have talked about getting him], it wouldn't surprise me if Lee was traded instead. I guess it depends on whether the sox think Gload can handle 1B every day or not.

Why not keep the A's thing going, and get PK's buddy Hudson on board with a trade involving Lee? Garland then would stay and be the #5 SP.

While I'd like the sox to go after Edgar Renteria for SS, a more likely scenario would be to sign a vet UTL IF, like Cairo to platoon with Willie at 2B, and trade for a CFer like Podsednik. With Rowand on board to play LF or CF, [and Everett around to play the OF--he's just not going to sit the bench when Frank is back] the sox now have options w/o Lee.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the signing. It's unfortunate he's a right-handed bat, which will just add to one of our bigger problems on our offense, BUT if they add another starter ... combined with the pen and defense, I can handle the one-sided offense.

I honestly believe Dye is going to have a big year.

I think the Konerko market will start in about 2-3 weeks. With Sexson supposedly coming off the board very soon and Delgado not very far behind, the teams looking Paulie will sort themselves out. Also, Glaus being gone will expediate the process that much more.

But will the SP the sox want still be around, whether its via trade or FA? I don't know if the sox can wait until other teams get around to PK. Lee on the other hand, could get a deal done quickly.

I see what you are saying but we just aren't going to get as much for Paulk when there are so many options still out there. There are a lot more #2-3 starters avaiblable via the trade market than 40 homer first-baseman. That's why I think when the right-handed power market dries up more, we will be able to get more. I cannot see the Yankees having any luck moving both Vazquez and Brown so there is always a fallback there.

I have question now since we signed dye. Now we have penciled in Dye as rightfielder and assuming Everett to be dh for first month. I have ask what will sox do with Everett once frank thomas is healhty? It just seems that there will be another move happening soon. I duno you guys tell me

on WSI, it said that tom shaer reported that there are serious talks between the yanks/dbacks/sox about a deal that would send either PK or garland to the yanks for garland. then the yanks would send our guy along w/ prospects to the dbacks for johnson. talks could heat up this weekend at the winter meetings

on WSI, it said that tom shaer reported that there are serious talks between the yanks/dbacks/sox about a deal that would send either PK or garland to the yanks for garland. then the yanks would send our guy along w/ prospects to the dbacks for johnson.  talks could heat up this weekend at the winter meetings

It was also said on page 3 of this thread :ph34r:

on WSI, it said that tom shaer reported that there are serious talks between the yanks/dbacks/sox about a deal that would send either PK or garland to the yanks for garland. then the yanks would send our guy along w/ prospects to the dbacks for johnson.  talks could heat up this weekend at the winter meetings

Garland for Garland??

Let's do it! :headbang :lol:

I like the signing. It's unfortunate he's a right-handed bat, which will just add to one of our bigger problems on our offense

Why is this unfortunate? Our problem offensively is that we didn't hit lefties. Last year Dye did noticably better against LHP and is better against LHP in his career.

The way it sounds, Vazquez sounds a lot closer to happening then Hudson. I could "live with" Vazquez provided the cash NY includes gets his salary down to a reasonable number. Garland shouldn't be included, which solidifies the rotation. the sox could fix the lineup with other moves

The way it sounds, Vazquez sounds a lot closer to happening then Hudson. I could "live with" Vazquez provided the cash NY includes gets his salary down to a reasonable number. Garland shouldn't be included, which solidifies the rotation. the sox could fix the lineup with other moves

They need 5 proven starters, 1-5, and not some "maybe, we hope" kind of guy like Grilli. Grilli should be the first guy brought up.

They need a veteran catcher, Einar Diaz is still out there. Knowing Ozzie likes having 3 guys who can catch on the roster, it makes sense to bring someone in. If not, who's the backup when one of the catchers inevitably gets dinged up? Hankins?

They need a middle infielder who has the ability to play SS, if they're settled on Uribe.

Oh ... and that pesky leadoff hitter issue is still out there too.

Wait we are trading PK and Garland toget...Garland???

You know I could see KW makeing this move.

They need 5 proven starters, 1-5, and not some "maybe, we hope" kind of guy like Grilli.  Grilli should be the first guy brought up.

They need a veteran catcher, Einar Diaz is still out there.  Knowing Ozzie likes having 3 guys who can catch on the roster, it makes sense to bring someone in.  If not, who's the backup when one of the catchers inevitably gets dinged up?  Hankins?

They need a middle infielder who has the ability to play SS, if they're settled on Uribe.

Oh ... and that pesky leadoff hitter issue is still out there too.

Lots of holes still, with only a few trading chips. Care to add C. Lee to the mix, esp for that "pesky leadoff hitter"? Couldn't Dye replace Lee, if it meant adding the SP or leadoff hitter the sox need?

Did anyone see Grilli pitch last year? Does he look any good? His MLB stats and AAA stats sucked. How can you picture someone that gets rocked in AAA to do good in the bigs? I'm tired of having to guess what our 5th starter is gonna do every year.

Couldn't Dye replace Lee, if it meant adding the SP or leadoff hitter the sox need?

Sure could.

This Yankees-Diamondbacks-White Sox thing makes too much sense though. White Sox have long expressed an interest in Javier Vazquez, Yankees don't want him, and Diamondbacks are afraid to take him on due to the contract clause allowing him to demand a trade after '05.

Diamondbacks need a 1B, Glaus will play 3rd. Sox and Diamondbacks have apparantly been talking for a while now, and they know each other's personnel very well.

Would I rather have Tim Hudson than Vazquez? Of course. But we don't have the bullets Oakland wants. They're supposedly not interested in either of Baltimore's two 2nd basemen, so there's little chance they'd want Willie Harris, my slight bias vs. Harris notwithstanding. Oakland wants a top end pitching prospect, we really don't have one, except for McCarthy and I just don't see it.

The thing is, Arizona would have to get more for Randy Johnson than just Paul Konerko ultimately. Would I do a straight swap of Konerko for Vazquez? Yes.

I'm not anti-Konerko like my crabbylicious posting neighbor, but I do feel the White Sox can find a guy to at least platoon with Gload.

Beck, my guess is they're settled on the OF situation for 2005, except maybe for the backups. Timo is arb. eligible and if he wants too much $$ ... they could cut him loose and bring in someone else. But I see it as Carlos-Rowand-Dye.

Edit: on the leadoff hitter thing, it's not my ideal by any stretch, but it looks like it'll be Rowand sometimes, Harris sometimes, and whoever is brought in to compete with Harris other times (Miguel Cairo?)

Lots of holes still, with only a few trading chips. Care to add C. Lee to the mix, esp for that "pesky leadoff hitter"? Couldn't Dye replace Lee, if it meant adding the SP or leadoff hitter the sox need?

Beck actually, I was thinking more along the lines that Everett, can play LEFT

LF Everett :puke

CF Rowand

RF DYE

Or

LF Rowand

CF SPod

RF DYE

SP Garcia

SP Marky B

SP Sheets

Just a thought..

I don't care what KW and JR are saying publicly... there's no way in hell they will go into next season planning on Grilli being our #5 starter.

Reinsdorf was on the radio about 10 days ago ... very specifically mentioning the 5th starter spot as the top reason for recent failure.

I agree, they will find someone else much better. Barring that, a ton of non roster invitees and may the best man win in Tucson. The latter is not a smart option.

But if I'm KW, I'd talk Grilli up too. Why not? He is our player.