Sox looking at Cora

orangekrush88

I talked about him a couple days ago, but he's versatile. Can play short or 2nd and had an above average OBP last year (too lazy to look up the stats, but I think it was like .354 or .364).

Plays good defense at 2nd and is an average defensive shortstop. Has very little pop but rarely strikes out. Smart ballplayer who works his ass off.

Would be a very good pickup if he's non-tendered to complete the infield. Would fit in nicely in the two hole cause he can handle the bat.

If he gets non-tendered (which I doubt happens) then I think he'd be a favorite to go to the Sox and join his brother. Along with a possibility of Perez or Clement and then I'd love to see Pyrz.

The Chicago Tribune reports that the the White Sox are interested in Los Angeles second baseman Alex Cora, brother of third-base coach Joey Cora, if the Dodgers can't trade him and decide not to offer him a contract.

Any information on Cora, I have heard of him but is he any good?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stat...context=batting

His career numbers aren't very good, but he had an excellent year last year...with an OBP of .364. The year before that, it was .287 and in 2002 it was .371. A bit inconsistent, but an excellent 2B and would be a great 5th or 6th IF. can hit better than Valdez.

Alex Cora had one of the best AB's of last season against Clement and the sCrUBS. He must have fouled off 15-18 pitches before taking Clement deep.

The other AB being Frank Thomas' against KC during the second (?) game of the season where he fouled off 13-16 before walking.

I think he'd be an over-all upgrade over Willie.

I am not certain this is the same reports that have been made on Alex Cora in the past? I thought the Dodgers were down on this guy because of his less than 100% effort? Anyway, I would think we would look at him as the super sub IF'er position and not as the replacement for Willie Harris.!?

If we sign Cora, and intend on keeping Willie, then I don't like this addition at all. What the Sox need is a right-handed hitting 2b or utility infielder that can face lefties in place of Willie. Also, Cora isn't exactly a dangerous hitter at the plate, but he can handle the bat well in terms of bunting and making contact. I would rather he start at 2b over Willie, but we all know that will never happen under this regime.

I talked about him a couple days ago, but he's versatile.  Can play short or 2nd and had an above average OBP last year (too lazy to look up the stats, but I think it was like .354 or .364). 

Plays good defense at 2nd and is an average defensive shortstop.  Has very little pop but rarely strikes out.  Smart ballplayer who works his ass off. 

Would be a very good pickup if he's non-tendered to complete the infield.  Would fit in nicely in the two hole cause he can handle the bat. 

If he gets non-tendered (which I doubt happens) then I think he'd be a favorite to go to the Sox and join his brother.  Along with a possibility of Perez or Clement and then I'd love to see Pyrz.

Nepotism at it's best. Who's next? We trade for Tim Raines Jr?

I wouldn't say Cora's got little pop. I seen him hit Monster Shots in Winter Ball, I know it's not the same but still gotta have strenth to do so. Remember he did play half his games in the golf course Named Dodger Stadium. That Said rather have Polanco.

Either the Sox are trying to get a new Secondbaseman or there trying to make Willie work on his game

Considering Ozzie is not sold on Willie Harris, picking up Cora may not be a bad thing. If he can put the ball in play from the number 2 spot to get Scotty Pod's wheels in play, it could be all good. I was thinking they might try Harris in that role ... just have him slap the ball in play and run like hell. Might work out well with Scotty Pod's speed on the pads in front of him, and Frank or ARow hitting behind him. He'd see his share of fastballs under those circumstances. Then again, Uribe may prove to be deadly in those same circumstances.

I'll take credit for first suggesting about him around these parts if we do sign him. :D

He's a little hot and cold thorughout the season, but he has a excellent OBP like Jason said, which is something we definitely need more of. And his ability to play 2b and SS with his excellent defense, should give us some real value. If he is non - tendered, I really think something is going to go down here.

I'll take credit for first suggesting about him around these parts if we do sign him.  :D

He's a little hot and cold thorughout the season, but he has a excellent OBP like Jason said, which is something we definitely need more of. And his ability to play 2b and SS with his excellent defense, should give us some real value. If he is non - tendered, I really think something is going to go down here.

He reminds me of willie, low average but pretty good obp. Both have excellent defense only thing that is really different about them is willie does not play short.

well we need a utility man too, we dont really have one now dont u wish we still had grafanino

Uribe was tabbed to be the utility man when we acquired him for Aaron Miles last off-season. But with the struggles of Jose Valentin and Uribe's hot start, it was impossible to keep him out of the lineup. But yeah, we do need a utility man, and if we don't sign anyone, that job will probably go to Wilson Valdez and I know a lot of people won't be looking forward to that.

Considering Ozzie is not sold on Willie Harris, picking up Cora may not be a bad thing.  If he can put the ball in play from the number 2 spot to get Scotty Pod's wheels in play, it could be all good.  I was thinking they might try Harris in that role ... just have him slap the ball in play and run like hell.  Might work out well with Scotty Pod's speed on the pads in front of him, and Frank or ARow hitting behind him. He'd see his share of fastballs under those circumstances.  Then again, Uribe may prove to be deadly in those same circumstances.

I think that's what they were trying to get Willie to do last year. Use his great speed to beat out the IF grounders, etc. Anyway I thought Willie had some good moments, but he just wasn't consistently good.