Why would we go with Grilli?

bigred3535

It seems to me the Sox are loading up on bullpen arms, so I can only make the assumption that if Kenny can't pull in another starter, he's going to want to give Hermanson the first shot at becoming the fifth starter. He didn't say that when Hermanson was signed, but don't forget that Kenny is playing his cards close to his chest these days, thinking he lost Vizquel because he let word out that he was interested. Personally, I think the Sox could do a lot worse than Hermanson at the fifth starter spot, especially if he's only slated to make 20-25 starts like another thread stated. He's only had one bad season in the last eight years (since he became a full-time big league pitcher), and that was playing in Fenway Park, so it could be assumed the Green Monster contributed, and over twelve appearances, so injuries probably contributed, too. According to ESPN's ballpark adjuster, the Cell is the third best hitters park in the league, and SBC Park in San Francisco is the eighth best, so there shouldn't really be a major impact on his stats by switching parks. I'd like the Sox to sign Perez, but if it doesn't happen I think that Hermanson is still better by leaps and bounds over what the Sox had for the fifth starter last year. Hell, a donkey that shoots the ball out of his ass would do better than most of the starts the Sox got from the fifth starter spot last year.

no way, we gotta have a solid bullpen and hermanson is a big part of it.  he should be like plan c or d.  grilli earned a shot and should be it, but ONLY IF we don't get a real    starter.

How has Grilli earned it. Is it based on the sox theory of he is better than the piece of crap that graced the hill before him.

How is this not a solid bullpen?

Shingo

Marte

Politte

Vizcaino

Walker

Adkins

Cotts

There's not even a spot for Hermanson in the bullpen unless the Sox decide to drop Adkins or Cotts back to Charlotte, which I doubt. I'd say this bullpen is much more reliable than any we've had in recent memory. We can depend on both Adkins and Cotts for improvement, and Politte to be a little more reliable. Plus, the Sox have a lot of arms in AAA (Diaz, Munoz, Bajenaru, etc.) to experiment with if any of these guys fall through.

Shingo

Marte

Politte

Vizcaino

Walker

Adkins

Cotts

There's not even a spot for Hermanson in the bullpen unless the Sox decide to drop Adkins or Cotts back to Charlotte, which I doubt. I'd say this bullpen is much more reliable than any we've had in recent memory. We can depend on both Adkins and Cotts for improvement, and Politte to be a little more reliable. Plus, the Sox have a lot of arms in AAA (Diaz, Munoz, Bajenaru, etc.) to experiment with if any of these guys fall through.

i'd rather have hermanson in there than cotts/adkins

Shingo

Marte

Politte

Vizcaino

Walker

Adkins

Cotts

There's not even a spot for Hermanson in the bullpen unless the Sox decide to drop Adkins or Cotts back to Charlotte, which I doubt.

How exactly does Walker earn a bullpen spot over Hermanson?

Unless he pitches stellarly during spring training, Walker's destination is Charlotte.

Diaz is s***loads better than grilli.  I went to a game that Diaz threw last year and he was amazing.  Went 7 and i dont think gave up a run.  Grilli never did anything CLOSE to that.

That's not saying much. Having Diaz is nothing more than a tee ball stand and if you start Grilli its like moving the fences in 100 feet. Neither of them is a starter in the MLB.

Diaz is s***loads better than grilli.  I went to a game that Diaz threw last year and he was amazing.  Went 7 and i dont think gave up a run.  Grilli never did anything CLOSE to that.

I was at the game Diaz pitched against Cleveland when he couldnt hit the strikezone and then got killed on the long ball.

Diaz might be a good long reliever but the two pitch pitchers is going to get destroyed as a starter.

actually i was just looking at hermansons stats and i really think he should be our no. 5 to start off... he had a couple decent years with the expos as a starter and may be able to recreate that w/ Coop's help... I think he's a better option than anyone else we have for the job now.

How exactly does Walker earn a bullpen spot over Hermanson?

Unless he pitches stellarly during spring training, Walker's destination is Charlotte.

He has a guaranteed contract, so he won't pitch in Charlotte unless he wants to, which is rather doubtful. I'm not saying he earns a bullpen spot over Hermanson, I'm saying that the bullpen could be full without him, so the Sox should use him as a starter.

He has a guaranteed contract, so he won't pitch in Charlotte unless he wants to, which is rather doubtful. I'm not saying he earns a bullpen spot over Hermanson, I'm saying that the bullpen could be full without him, so the Sox should use him as a starter.

:huh: news to me

Only $100,000 of the $525,000 contract Kevin Walker signed with the White Sox today is guaranteed.

This makes more sense. Walker will get the rest of the money if he makes the team out of spring training. He can also earn $50,000 in bonuses, $25,000 each for making 65 and 70 appearances.

Only $100,000 of the $525,000 contract Kevin Walker signed with the White Sox today is guaranteed.

This makes more sense. Walker will get the rest of the money if he makes the team out of spring training. He can also earn $50,000 in bonuses, $25,000 each for making 65 and 70 appearances.

Even so, that still means he would have to be designated for assignment, clear waivers, and accept assignment to AAA to ever pitch for Charlotte, doesn't it?

It would help if the Sox had a decent pitching coach that could should these youngsters a thing or two.

I recall Contreras' first White Sox start last season in Kansas City.....

FSN pans over to Contreras warming in the bullpen prior to gametime. There loathing in the background lies Cooper, who's actively monitoring Jose's delivery. I'm wondering to myself how exactly he communicates with Jose, considering Cooper doesn't understand Spanish. Right then Contreras turns around and Coop has his fingers set in the splitfinger grip; instructing Jose to throw it forward while nodding his head. I couldn't help but laugh. Is this the extent of Cooper's advice? Perhaps a translator would help break the barrier.

With an abundance of Latin pitchers on our club, I'd prefer a pitching coach who speaks more than one language. When Sandy Alomar understands his career is finished, White Sox sould persue him as pitching coach. I hope Cooper redefining Loaiza's career with the elbow killer (cutter) doesn't ensure his job security.

Maybe a bullpen coach or a manager, but typically pitching coaches are former pitchers...which makes sense if you think about it...

I can defenitely see that. I think he'd be a lot more valuable in that role & it'd give the younger catchers in the system a chance to gain some experience.

last year in 18 starts he went 4-4 with an era of 4.59 with a era of 4.33 as a reliver.

not a bad option if you ask me but we better sign a deffense catcher that knows how to call a good game.

a pen of

shingo

marte

polite

viz

adkins

cotts what one isnt in the pen needs to be starting in AAA imo

if we sign a 5th starter witch i hope we do hermason will do just fine as a spot starter and adkins and cotts can stay up if we have 12 and pitchers or if we have 11 i would like to see adkins/cotts starting down in AAA