Sox targeting 2B

EvilJester99

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What does this guy bring to the table?

2) Wouldn't we be better off with Cora as the everyday starter...or dare I say...Harris?

IIRC, he's a Japanese Gold Glover who brings a solid OBP, and good hitting skills to the table.

I doubt he'd be a Gold Glover here, but if he's righty and is able to hit lefty pitchers, that would be huge. Anyone got his stats handy?

Anyone who says Harris is better than this dude is a fool.

We can't have Harris in the lineup everyday. It is certain that we need a minor leaguer to step in to fill the role of the infielder we need.

Valentin's gone, so we surely need someone to fill that vacancy, and we can't win a world series with one of our minor leaguers or Harris at 2B.

We can't have Harris in the lineup everyday. It is certain that we need a minor leaguer to step in to fill the role of the infielder we need.

Valentin's gone, so we surely need someone to fill that vacancy, and we can't win a world series with one of our minor leaguers or Harris at 2B.

We can't have Harris in the lineup, even though in his first full season, he put up a pretty good average and a solid OBP (especially against righties), but we can have Burke in the lineup because you like him...?

Of course, we'll take this guy over Harris, but to rip Harris like that is pretty stupid...

We can't have Harris in the lineup, even though in his first full season, he put up a pretty good average and a solid OBP (especially against righties), but we can have Burke in the lineup because you like him...?

Of course, we'll take this guy over Harris, but to rip Harris like that is pretty stupid...

It is this simple.

Willie>burke.

During scouting meetings last week in San Diego, the Sox also worked out Japanese shortstop Tadahito Iguchi -- who is a free agent eligible to sign with a major league club -- their interest predicated on whether he could also play second base. But the Sox, who on Monday traded outfielder Dave Roberts to the Padres for infielder Ramon Vazquez and righthanded-hitting outfielder Jay Payton, plan to pass on Iguchi, according to industry sources familiar with his talks with the team. As it stands, Vazquez and third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who has been told to work out at first base as well, will come into camp as the team's primary infield reserves.

Yea, i just think it is silly to replace our 2b because he is weak against leftys, but yet both our catchers are weak at everything and yet there is no talk about that.

Have you been reading the threads lately, there's been plenty of talk about upgrading at catcher.

just because they are both japanese doesn't mean they are gonna be friends... :nono

there is a good chance tho

That isn't what he is referring to. He would have someone here to relate to. I feel they would become friends. Many of the Japanese players only go to markets which have a big Japanese community. He could look here, see how greatly Shingo has been recieved, and look at the chance to not only play, but play for a potentially very good team. I think he would be crazy not to look at us. I would think only the Yankees and Mariners (if Boone is dealt) as teams he'd perfer who need a 2b.

That isn't what he is referring to. He would have someone here to relate to. I feel they would become friends. Many of the Japanese players only go to markets which have a big Japanese community. He could look here, see how greatly Shingo has been recieved, and look at the chance to not only play, but play for a potentially very good team. I think he would be crazy not to look at us. I would think only the Yankees and Mariners (if Boone is dealt) as teams he'd perfer who need a 2b.

Steve, Yanks signed Womack did they not? If so maybe that would take them out of the equation on this situation?

If the Red Sox pass, the White Sox would seem to have a chance.

Don't get excited about these guys based on numbers. Remember Tuffy Rhodes? The guy who couldn't stick with the Royals and the Grubs? He hit .287 with 45 HR in that league. These deals are strictly for the scouts, just like the draft.

BTW, here's Tuffy's picture from JapaneseBaseball.com

I'm not kidding