Just how good is our pitching staff?

CWSOX45

Thought I'd pop the question. When looking around the American League, I like what our staff looks like. My question to you guys is where would you rank us in the American League? I'd have to say either 4th or 5th. Obviously Boston and the Yanks are ahead of us, possibly the Twins as well. Please discuss.

CWSOX45

Top to bottom, I'll peg our staff as the fourth best in the AL, right behind Boston, New York, and Minnesota. I have Minnesota ahead of us because until we prove to them that we can beat them, they're better than us...

Also, Cleveland's is getting up there. Sabathia and Millwood will be a real nice 1-2 punch up there, and if Cliff Lee can pitch like he pitched the first half of the year, they have a nice one through four (with Westbrook who I didn't include).

Top to bottom, I'll peg our staff as the fourth best in the AL, right behind Boston, New York, and Minnesota.  I have Minnesota ahead of us because until we prove to them that we can beat them, they're better than us...

Also, Cleveland's is getting up there.  Sabathia and Millwood will be a real nice 1-2 punch up there, and if Cliff Lee can pitch like he pitched the first half of the year, they have a nice one through four (with Westbrook who I didn't include).

nyy, bos, oak, det, cle, minny and then us. that is mho.

what gives me a little hope is that we have garland as the #5 pit, that is a good #5 pitcher. maybe he can gain confidence there.

nyy, bos, oak, det, cle, minny and then us. that is mho.

what gives me a little hope is that we have garland as the #5 pit, that is a good #5 pitcher. maybe he can gain confidence there.

How can you say detroit has a better pitching staff? Nate Robertson is their best starter.

I think we will be 4th in the AL and 2nd in the Central.

How can you say detroit has a better pitching staff?  Nate Robertson is their best starter. 

I think we will be 4th in the AL and 2nd in the Central.

With cle, you have cc, c lee and westbrook, now they are getting millwood to help in the rotation. However lets look at what their minor league players and they are going to produce, Guthrie, miller, cruceta, dittler (?). and carmona. They have a good depth of prospect at pitching and look at the rest of the farm, it stock. However when I was mention cle, I was also looking at the rest of the team stats and how that helps in the win and lose category.

With det I was guilty of looking at something else when I was ranking them (young hitting team). I still like the young rotation of there’s. However they do have some young arms to looking at, sleeth's, zumaya's, sborz, and Woodyard. Again I will say that the performance of the hitters helps out with the win – lost record and I think they will be better. Actually i think that bonderman is the better of the 2 pitchers but again that is me.

IMO, the rankings go:

Twins- led the league in ERA, Santana and Radke-best 1-2 and great pen

Yankees- solid pen w/ Rivera and a deep rotation

Red Sox- good pen, good starters but inconsistent ones except for Wells and Schill

White Sox- best pen in the AL, solid rotation, but inconsistent starters

Then: OAK, ANA, CLEV, TOR, BAL, DET, SEA, TAM, TEX and KC

A pitching staff includes starters AND releiver so it isn't entirely based upon starters. Oakland is not much anymore without Mulder and Hudson, they are clearling rebuilding. Zito isn't what he used to be and I'm not sold on Harden yet. In order, I'd say:

1) Yankees

2) Red Sox

3) White Sox

4) Indians

5) Twins

Yankee's are the obvious choice for #1. Their bullpen isn;t as good as before but ther stil have Mariano.

Boston has lost Pedro and will probably lose Lowe but he never really shined in the regular season. Wells and Clement are nice replacements. They have a solid bullpen and Foulky is a great closer.

The Sox have a solid rotation. Every starter is different and has his own niche. The opposition will never see the same type of pitcher 2 days in a row. Marte and Pollitte are one of, if not the best setup combo in the AL and we all know what Shingo can do.

The Indians are the up-and-coming surprise. A great 1-4 in Sabathia, Westbrook, Lee, and Millwood. Their bullpen has had their ups and downs but they are solid as well. A good closer and they are on their way to being as good as the old Indians.

The Twins only make my top 5 because they have won the division outright over us in 3 straight years. Santana is a great pitcher but can he be the next Loaiza???

First off Vizcaino is better than Politte...Hermanson too...

Secondly, don't ever mention Johan Santana in the same sentence as Esteban Loaiza...Santana is a young stud with electric stuff, and has done it before. Esteban is a journeyman who came from out of nowhere...I can't believe someone even suggested that.

Uh...I'm not a Twins fan duffis...I am smart enough to know that Cliff Politte is not part of the top setup duo in the majors...That's just ridiculous.

And how can you doubt Santana?  Which part of his short career resembles anything of Estaban's career?

I'm not even going to argue. I was simply asking a question. I have no doubt in my mind that Santana might win 20 more games this season but that's what we thought about E-Lo too. You just never know. That was my point. Gosh, no need to come in and pick a fight right away. ::shakes head::

I'm a Brad Radke fan, so I'm not going to say he isn't a good pitcher, but making the Twins starting staff better than ours on the basis that they have Santana and Radke doesn't do it for me. Radke, although good and a solid top-of-the-line type guy, isn't that good to be considered to be one half of a great 1-2.

Are the Twins better? Yes, they have proven that over the past few years, but their rotation isn't better than the Sox as of right now, going into next season.

Thats where I gotta disagree Molto. I think the Twins, as a TEAM, are better because they have been able to beat us in the past, but as far as ONLY pitvhing staffs, I gotta say the Sox are better.

umm, I'm confused. I do, like you, feel the Twins are a better team but I don't think they have the better staff. no dissagreement.

umm, I'm confused. I do, like you, feel the Twins are a better team but I don't think they have the better staff. no dissagreement.

Your right, sorry. I misread your post. I thought you said they have a better pitching staff. Nevermind then, we agree.

"Now, do you expect Contreras to out-pitch Loaiza? Uh, yeah, probably, given that he did last season. Do you expect Garcia to out-pitch Schoeneweis for the other half of the season? Absolutely. Hermanson to out-pitch Mike Jackson? Probably. Takatsu to out-pitch Billy Koch's half season? Yeah. Marte to pitch better? Probably.

Do you see a trend here?"

johnny_mostil on the WSI board

Best staff on paper

1. Bosox (they have 6 solid starters in Schilling, Clement, Wells, Miller,

Arroyo, and Wakefield and a pretty deep pen and solid closer)

2. Yankees (right now they have 3 solid starters Mussina, Vazquez, Pavano, and 2 question marks in Brown and Wright. Can Brown stay healthy (if they don't trade him) and can Wright be solid without Mazzone. They also have a solid bullpen and the second best closer in the game.)

3.White Sox (We are the only other team in the Al that you can name all five starting pitchers and they give us a chance to win every game. We now have an upgraded bullpen with a person who can give us a spot start here and there in Hermanson.)

But who knows what will happen and how things will pan out. That's why they play the games.