Which media players do you all use?

Soxguy

I need a good media player I have been using windows media player and I have used winamp in the past but I really didn't like either of them. I want one that is easy to use and keeps my music organized. I also want one that can rip cd's fairly fast. What do you all use or recommend?

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
The one good thing Hewlett Packard ever made.

I used to be in love with it... then I found Winamp.

winamp's pretty quality....i like the older versions better though, a tiny, incredibly fast little program.

But only the new version of winamp will play the itunes file type so i'm stuck with that. :banghead

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
winamp's pretty quality....i like the older versions better though, a tiny, incredibly fast little program.

But only the new version of winamp will play the itunes file type so i'm stuck with that.  :banghead

iTunes has it's own special file type?

I must say, while a good idea to stop piracy, that is very lame.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
iTunes has it's own special file type?

I must say, while a good idea to stop piracy, that is very lame.

i believe there's a way to convert them all back to .mp3's, but the itunes type of file goes the best w/ the ipod....at least i think

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)

But only the new version of winamp will play the itunes file type so i'm stuck with that.  :banghead

iTunes is rock solid on both platforms, and they're putting out significant updates avery few months.

The AAC file type is better sound quality at better compression than mp3 (it's essentially based on the audio layer of MPEG4 like mp3 is based on the MPEG3 audio standard), but iTines handles them both easily. It's also not hard to convert to mp3, and when you rip CDs you have the option of either format. It rips pretty fast too.

The seemless integration with the iPod makes it a must in that instance, but I'd also recommend it as a standalone desktop player.

Best of all, it's FREE!

About the only thing it doesn't do is give you a way to save mp3 streams, and that's actually a bit of a challenge for us mac folks compared to the relative ease on the cheap iron.

Nothing but itunes. I think all of the others are garbage, specifically real and windows media. Never really used winamp that much, for whatever reason I never liked the layout of it.

Itunes = AWESOME

I may just need to pony up the dough in a few months for an ipod.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
iPod=greatest purchase I've ever made.

Yesterday I gave it to my friend, who has a ton of CD's, and he filled it with 700 songs, and I gave him 20 bucks.

Haha, fair trade if you as me.

Pre-iPod life was like caveman days. :headbang

I use it as my portable firewire drive to carry things between the 6 or so computers I end up using during the woek day. I use it as the scratch disk doing video crunching. I put together a set of playlists with about 200 preselected songs and plugged it into rental PA gear and it was the DJ at a surprise b-day party for my folks back in Chicago last month.

iPod :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Pre-iPod life was like caveman days. :headbang

I use it as my portable firewire drive to carry things between the 6 or so computers I end up using during the woek day.  I use it as the scratch disk doing video crunching.  I put together a set of playlists with about 200 preselected songs and plugged it into rental PA gear and it was the DJ at a surprise b-day party for my folks back in Chicago last month.

iPod  :notworthy  :notworthy

jesus :lol:

i just use it to listen to music

1800 songs :headbang

a few years ago i would have never though that possible.

I also got a wire to connect it to my stereo reciever. It's the best present i have ever gotten (graduation may last year)

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
iPod costs WAY too much for the simple man at this time.

I'm waiting till those massive 20 or 30 giggers go down to 100 dollars.

Simple Man? Is that a subtle Gary Rosington tie-in to your sig? :bang

And anyway, you're not really living until you go with the 40GB deal. :P

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Simple Man? Is that a subtle Gary Rosington tie-in to your sig?  :bang

And anyway, you're not really living until you go with the 40GB deal.  :P

Could be, could be.... :P

Let me re-phrase: A kid that makes just enough money to pay off gasoline and car insurance and have a minimal amount of spending money. :drink

Hopefully the price will go down next Christmas, I really want an iPod.

QUOTE(Soxguy @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
I guess I will definitely go with itunes because my ipod is set to be delivered in a few days.  I just never knew itunes was a media player, I just thought it was the store you buy music at for ipod.....I'll be back with a review :)

that's what i thought before i got my ipod too...it makes putting songs/sorting them onto your ipod INSANELY easy.

have fun.