New Whitesox Rumor

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(CaliSoxFan @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
Is this the same host that said the sox will sign Rob nen of a minor league contract.  I will keep in tune to KNBR 680, but football is on right now.

Could be. Have no idea, but it would be great if you keep us up to date with whatever you hear.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off subject: Totally claimed it was my idea, because it was.

NAother subject: Whats your take on what Beltran will do?

Issue #1: Oh my. How can you live with yourself? What # is that one, #4 or #5, I don't know the numbers but I do know it goes: Thou Shalt Not Lie. What time is confession?

Issue #2: Beltran, first of all I want him in the National League. As for what I think will happen, when has there ever been a Boras client who didn't go for the maximum cash? The two NY teams will have a whack off fest over this guy. I will say the Mets. You can bet Clemens is waiting to see if Beltran remains an Astro. I want that NL Central as strong as possible. I am also worried the Cubs have been eerily quiet this winter.

As for Maggs and Detroit, hey, good for them and good for Ordonez. He is going to sign somewhere, and will at some point hit a big HR vs. the White Sox and there will be all kinds of pissing and moaning about "why is JR so cheap" from the cynics of the world. Such is life being a baseball fan.

Your bride had what at Peanuts? Enjoyed?

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
by the way I havent seen anything giants message boards about it.

Well i think that is what I am saying through this whole thread. Until it hits major media its nothing. I am sure there are many tlak show hosts who speculate all night long.

speculate all night long.

Over a PBR.

In fact, I just cracked one open, what the heck it's Saturday nite.

Hey ... when we are neighbors in Arizona later in life, you can look through your blinds and say, "Oh no, here he comes ... hide the PBR" :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Issue #1:  Oh my.  How can you live with yourself?  What # is that one, #4 or #5, I don't know the numbers but I do know it goes:  Thou Shalt Not Lie.  What time is confession?

Issue #2:  Beltran, first of all I want him in the National League.  As for what I think will happen, when has there ever been a Boras client who didn't go for the maximum cash?  The two NY teams will have a whack off fest over this guy.  I will say the Mets.  You can bet Clemens is waiting to see if Beltran remains an Astro.  I want that NL Central as strong as possible.  I am also worried the Cubs have been eerily quiet this winter.

As for Maggs and Detroit, hey, good for them and good for Ordonez.  He is going to sign somewhere, and will at some point hit a big HR vs. the White Sox and there will be all kinds of pissing and moaning about "why is JR so cheap" from the cynics of the world.  Such is life being a baseball fan.

Your bride had what at Peanuts?  Enjoyed?

totally skipping the reaction to number 1 Please get over yourself.

#2 - i want beltran in Houston, just so Cub fans can piss and moan.

#3 Sox fans will need to know that a guy with a bumb knee is not worth 14 million. He may hit a big HR but, he will never be the same and will bevery vulnerable to injury. IMO he shoudl ahve accepted the contract we offered. He has no right to be pissed at the whitesox. He is a complete idiot.

#4- Wife had soup and salad which she liked alot. Waitress remembered me.

Waitress remembered me.

This is not uncommon for you. They do tend to remember you.

In fact, they tell me all about it the next time I see them ... they snicker and giggle a lot. See: Bertucci's.

For the record ... my idea on the PBR.

Agree on Beltran, would love to see him stay in the NL Central, but I think we will have to accept the NL in general. Mets really want to reclaim part of that NY territory, and good for them if they have money to burn. Beltran is excellent.

Good quote from an NL exec today, "I know he's good, but is he $16M good?"

Let's not forget that in addition to this whole 2B saga, Sox need a guy who can play multiple positions, including (especially) SS and 3B. Hate to tell you, the only free guy out there who can do that ... Rich Aurillia.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
This is not uncommon for you.  They do tend to remember you.

In fact, they tell me all about it the next time I see them ... they snicker and giggle a lot.  See:  Bertucci's.

For the record ... my idea on the PBR.

Agree on Beltran, would love to see him stay in the NL Central, but I think we will have to accept the NL in general.  Mets really want to reclaim part of that NY territory, and good for them if they have money to burn.  Beltran is excellent.

Good quote from an NL exec today, "I know he's good, but is he $16M good?"

Let's not forget that in addition to this whole 2B saga, Sox need a guy who can play multiple positions, including (especially) SS and 3B.  Hate to tell you, the only free guy out there who can do that ... Rich Aurillia.

Let it be known I was the first to bring up aurilla when we talked on the phone earlier this week. Cora is still an option for second.

Let it be known I was the first to bring up aurilla when we talked on the phone earlier this week. Cora is still an option for second.

Are we not scraping the bottom of the barrel with Aurillia? The idea is to upgrade.

If they don't get Iguchi I smell a trade. You know he wants this done before the SoxFest whining starts. If people are calling the season ticket reps griping about Willie Harris, what happens when there's an open microphone? God help us.

By the by ... shouldn't the Sox have a capable guy in the minors who can step in at that utility role? Wilson Valdez, a stiff breeze blows him over. This is another area where they have a problem ... depth. When do the minor league invitees come out? Can Robert Person play SS and 3B?

Do you think there's any chance for Larkin?

Edit: See, I got through one whole post without taking a shot at you, hell just froze over, I'm serious, take it easy, please.

Let it be known I was the first to bring up aurilla when we talked on the phone earlier this week.

True.

And now that I think of it, you look interestingly very much like the love child of Rick Hahn and Roland Hemond. :puke

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
Are we not scraping the bottom of the barrel with Aurillia?  The idea is to upgrade.

If they don't get Iguchi I smell a trade.  You know he wants this done before the SoxFest whining starts.  If people are calling the season ticket reps griping about Willie Harris, what happens when there's an open microphone?  God help us.

By the by ... shouldn't the Sox have a capable guy in the minors who can step in at that utility role?  Wilson Valdez, a stiff breeze blows him over.  This is another area where they have a problem ... depth.  When do the minor league invitees come out?  Can Robert Person play SS and 3B?

Do you think there's any chance for Larkin?

As you know I think our minor league system is terrible. For a team that cannot take any chances with payroll, we should have backups ready to go for a week or two at a time. We don't.barry larkin would need to start, therefore you would move Uribe to 2nd. I saw alot of larkin this year. I made five trips to cinci this year. Larkin, seems slow at the plate to me. larkin is not coming here. LEts keep focused on Iguchi, still think something is there.

Jill "Buh Bye" Carlson is on now, doing the sports, Fox Chicago. A Sox fan.

Love a chick who's a Sox fan.

Jill is a Sox Fan "10" ... normally a "4" but add a 6 pack ... voila! TEN. :D

Very interesting rumor. I've been mulling it over as I read the thread. First off, let me say I think I'd rather just sign Iguchi. I have feeling the guy would be good for this team.

Now, all financial considerations aside, I'd love to have Ray Durham back. How they would work out the finances, who knows. But on a baseball level, a healthy, motivated Ray Durham is exactly what we need.

He'd be perfect to drop in the number 2 spot in the order. A switch hitter that has some home run pop and can handle a bat. With Podsednik on base, the pitcher's are going to be wanting to bring heat to keep him from stealing. Ray will eat that s*** up. He can handle a bat very well, so if Ozzie wants to play bunt or H&R, Ray can execute those. Durham can also get you that key stolen base if you need it. He's not the type of guy I'd want attempting 70 steals a years, but in key situations he'd get to second base for you. Apparently, he had a rough year defensively in '04. He never was great with the glove, but he made himself into a servicable 2B when he was with the Sox. As a worst case scenario, we could keep Willie Harris as a pinch runner/late inning defensive replacement.

Again, on a strictly baseball level, I wouldn't object to trading Marte for him. To begin, our bullpen is strength at this point and that number two slot in the batting order is a definite need for the Sox. I also believe Marte has peaked and will never have higher value than he currently does. I know I'm in the minority here, but Marte needs a change of scene. AL hitters are getting to know this guy.

I don't believe Durham is worth the money he's got coming, but if something can be worked out, I'd love to see him at second and batting second at the Cell.

QUOTE(LDF @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)
my take on this is pony up for the money and get either the japanese player or the other fa's "inf" and save the money for another move later down the road. let say a trade for a high price pitcher or someone if an injury happens.

yeah, lets just sign cora for 500K and let him platoon with harris... then when the brewers are outta the race after the allstar break, lets trade for ben sheets and give him the definitive starting second baseman job...the guy cant f***in pitch a lick, i hear he can play a good 2bagger... fun

Before I traded for Durham I would check the prices of Lugo, Matsui, or Reyes because I would prefer they have the flexibility to play SS and 2b. I know the whole Sox organization is down on Harris, but there is just part of me that is uncomfortable with Uribe at SS with absolutely no back up plan. Harris for better or for worse, you will atleast be getting a known quantity. Uribe has much higher peaks, but there is also that chance of a huge slump.

Just my opinion.

SB

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
One thing people need to remember is that Ray gives us a lot of the HRs we have lost with the loss of Maggs, CLee and Valentin back

Trust me, you still need power to win in this game, especially at our ball park

Just look at Boston and the Card line up last year.

Also, Ray would easily hit 25-30 dingers at the "new and improved" Cell

You realize the sox are still going to be atleast in the top 3rd of the league in homers, right?? I'm willing to bet they hit over 200 this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
If the Sox handle things right though, they will be able to spell Ray with a platoon guy and that should be alright.  Personally I think its a great move as long as they don't give up Marte.  I think thats probably a little too much, unless they get something else in return that could help them out of the pen. 

But budget wise, they could basically afford to add Durham's entire contract but no way in hell would I give up Marte for him and take on that big contract.

On a sidenote, Durham is under contract at roughly 6.5 this year and the following year is an option year.

2006 being an option yr [if its the team option] is big.

Alex Cora as the UTL IFer, able to play SS and 2B?! Would be able to rest Ray more, go in as a late inning defensive replacement, and spot start for Uribe. Helluva lot of money though for both [but SF could pay some salary, if the Sox give players/ prospects]. Cora probably could get a starting gig somewhere also, Yet if nothing has come his way by now, coming to the Sox even as a UTL guy might not be a bad idea

On a side note. Lets say either The Sox sign Iguchi or a trade for Ray Durham is done. I would only assume that Wilson Valdez makes this team by default. Who doesn't make the opening day roster?

Is Willie out of options? I don't think you give up on him to the point of just dumping him for anything

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
On a side note. Lets say either The Sox sign Iguchi or a trade for Ray Durham is done. I would only assume that Wilson Valdez makes this team by default. Who doesn't make the opening day roster?

Is Willie out of options? I don't think you give up on him to the point of just dumping him for anything

Willie would likely be dealt for Durham, to fill SF's spot at 2b

Looking at Ray a little closer, he was healthy ending the season. During the last part of Aug until the end of the yr, Ray was great. He went from .252/.339/.434 on 8-18 to end the yr .282/.364/.484. His Sept, during the stretch run when SF folded, Ray hit .374/.467/.571 with 4 sb.

If Valdez can be the UTL guy, someone who could hit .250 and play solid d [who at least can play SS, with Uribe shifting to 3b for Crede and 2b to rest Ray], then getting Ray [w/ some salary thrown in by SF] would be possible.