Colts

Manning wins the MVP.

Superstar QB nets 47 of 48 votes

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Peyton Manning's phenomenal season earned him his second straight Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award. He was nearly a unanimous choice.

Manning gets congratulated by Tony Dungy last month after setting the season TD record.

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback, who surpassed Dan Marino and Steve Young with his passing prowess in 2004, earned all but one of 48 votes from a national panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. Manning tied with Steve McNair for the award last season, but this time only Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick drew a vote.

Manning joined the likes of Joe Montana, John Unitas, Steve Young and Kurt Warner as quarterbacks with two MVP awards. Brett Favre is the only player to win it three times.

"Individually, I accomplished a lot in a short period of time," Manning said. "But no question, we did not win a Super Bowl in the time I've been here as a quarterback."

Ever the team man, and ever championship-oriented, Manning refuses to concentrate on his statistics. He might have thrown for 49 touchdowns, surpassing Dan Marino's 20-year-old NFL record. And he may have shattered Young's passer rating record with a 121.1 mark. And he might have established other league marks and a bunch more team records.

But to Manning, unless it all culminates in a championship, it's not what he's after.

"Just because you played well in Week 2 or Week 10 doesn't mean anything for the playoffs," Manning said. "Except that you're capable of doing it."

Manning was capable of doing almost anything in leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and the AFC South title. They routed Denver 49-24 in the first round of the playoffs -- the MVP voting was held before the postseason -- and play at New England on Sunday.

He also turned two of his previously unaccomplished receivers, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, into threats almost on a par with Manning's favorite target, perennial Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison. All caught at least 10 touchdown passes and went over 1,000 yards in receiving -- an unprecedented combination for three teammates.

"Peyton is such a competitor, he has such high expectations to go out and win," Wayne said. "You want to make a play for him and bail him out of tough situations."

Tough situations? Manning tends to make everything look easy.

Sort of like Young and Montana and Unitas and Warner and Favre did. But all of them have that championship along with their MVPs. Manning doesn't.

And it drives him to do even more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Congrats to Peyton, but who the hell voted for Mike Vick?  Are you kidding me?

Last week and this week should be enough evidence of what the Colts would look like without Peyton.

Without Sorgi at QB for Indy, we lost 33-14 against Denver...

With Peyton at QB for Indy, we won 49-24 against Denver....

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Peyton is a class act and when it is all said and done, he may be remembered as one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

Congrats to the Colts on a nice win and here's hoping they knock out the Pats.

Go Insurance Adjusters!

I am glad I am not the only one who laughs at that commericial

"CUT THAT MEAT, CUT THAT MEAT!!!"

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Indy looks great but I don't think they can beat the Pats in NE if it was indoors at Indy then ya I would think they have a shot.  I say Pats by 10 next week.

The Colts are a lock then.

ChiSox3443: i think gb blows 'em out :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Congrats to Peyton, but who the hell voted for Mike Vick?  Are you kidding me?

While, I don't think Vick should be MVP I think a case could be made just by looking at Atlanta's record with him versus without him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=snap/wildcard

I really like a lot of what this guy's saying. He's bringing up a lot of the same points I always try to bring up when this debate has been alive on SoxTalk.

Aaron Schatz: Oh, geez, not this again. As a football fan, of course I want to see another round in this great rivalry but as someone who runs a football website and as a Boston resident this is like a nightmare. Sports radio is going to be unlistenable for the next week -- a good number of the hosts on the local station completely lose all sense of reality when talking about Peyton Manning. And Brady-Manning debate has a tendency to take over any NFL discussion on the Web, no matter the original subject. There are a number of Patriots fans who are obsessed with the idea that Brady doesn't get respect and that he is a better quarterback than Manning and you cannot get away from them. We've actually created a specific discussion thread at Football Outsiders for nothing but Brady-Manning nonsense because any discussion of any AFC team turned into Brady-Manning debate. And check out the Colts message boards at the Indianapolis Star sometime -- half of the posters there are Patriots fans trying to annoy the Indianapolis people. Honestly, it is embarrassing to me as a New Englander.

Is this the game where Peyton finally solves the Patriots? No, because there doesn't need to be a game where Peyton "finally solves the Patriots." The Colts have lost to the Patriots three times over the past two seasons. Manning only played badly in one of those games, the AFC Championship Game. In this year's opener, he threw for 256 yards and two touchdowns and had the Colts in position for a game-tying field goal only to see Mike "Money" Vanderjagt honk it. Last year during Week 13, he threw for 278 yards and four touchdowns and marched the team down to the goal line to win the game only to have Edgerrin James stuffed three times. Manning isn't losing to the Patriots by himself. This is a team effort.

I don't think there is any question that things are going to be easier on Manning without Ty Law or Tyrone Poole in the lineup for the Patriots, and with Richard Seymour possibly playing at partial strength. (Most local reporters seem to feel that there is a good chance he will play on Sunday, although it is impossible to tell at what level of effectiveness.) But according to our Football Outsiders ratings, guess what -- the Patriots also had a top five offense this season. The Patriots offense is like the Colts offense with reduced carbs: few turnovers, smart quarterback, no single go-to receiver, two strong tight ends, great running back, they even get the backup running back involved, they just score a little bit less. If Manning plays a great game, but Brady and Dillon also play a great game, the Colts might lose anyway. But if Manning throws for four touchdowns but the Pats win 31-28, I hope we don't have to hear about how Manning can't win the big one.