Local Celebrities' Allegiance

retro1983hat

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Yes, I have heard this as well. I tried to stay away from national celebrities, because they are almost all Cub fans. (John Cusak, Jimmy Buffet, Joe Mantegna, etc.)

I think John Cusack is a baseball fan. He's been at a couple Sox games, in some really s***ty weather. I saw him at the rainy Toronto doubleheader wearing a good guys hat.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
I think John Cusack is a baseball fan. He's been at a couple Sox games, in some really s***ty weather. I saw him at the rainy Toronto doubleheader wearing a good guys hat.

He's been at Comiskey many times.. but he's a Cub fan 150%.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Um, just a little history lesson...  Al Capone died in 1947.  Minnie Minoso made his ML debut in August of 1949.

Dates aside, which I didn't know off the top of my head, Capone didn't have a son named Minoso.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Dates aside, which I didn't know off the top of my head, Capone didn't have a son named Minoso.

I looked up the dates.... But I did know in the back of my head that Capone was dead before Minnie came around, but I thought it was more like 10 years apart. But I have no idea what his kids were named...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
I looked up the dates....  But I did know in the back of my head that Capone was dead before Minnie came around, but I thought it was more like 10 years apart.  But I have no idea what his kids were named...

Only had one... named Al.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Were/are Pippen and Jordan sox fans? Or were they only because they got free tickets from their boss?

I am not sure about Scottie. Oh wait I could care less about that ingrate-who-couldn't-be-counted-on-during-the-last-minutes-of-the-game.

As for Michael, I think he was a Sox fan, back when the park first opened through 1993 when we won and were actually the place to be.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
This made my day.  :cheers  :headbang  :notworthy

Don't suppose you remember anything about the video history, do you?  (Title, year, anything like that.)

It was called "White Sox: A Visual History" It only went up to about 1985, because the last thing they showed was Joe Cowley's no-hitter. It was pretty cool, though.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
I looked up the dates....  But I did know in the back of my head that Capone was dead before Minnie came around, but I thought it was more like 10 years apart.  But I have no idea what his kids were named...

You also have to consider that Capone spent a few years in Alcatraz at the end of his life.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Um, just a little history lesson...  Al Capone died in 1947.  Minnie Minoso made his ML debut in August of 1949.

Big Al knew Minnie before his MLB debut. He saw him play in Cuba many times during his many trips to Cuba and meetings with a young Fidel Castro.

Big Al dined with the Minosos many times.

QUOTE(bogie @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Big Al knew Minnie before his MLB debut. He saw him play in Cuba many times during his many trips to Cuba and meetings with a young Fidel Castro.

Big Al dined with the Minosos many times.

Listen.. you're full of s***. Just admit it. Capone had one son.. named Al.. nicknamed Sonny who was born in New York before Capone ever stepped foot in Illinois.

I found this:

Alphonse Capone – who would come to symbolize all that was wrong with America in the 1930’s – was born on January 17, 1899, the son of Italian immigrants Gabriel and Theresa. The boy, one of nine children, grew up on the mean streets of the New York slums. Here young Italian gangs continued the ethnic rivalries of the mother country and young Alphonse was soon involved in the vandalism and street fighting common to gang life. He become a feared member of the Forty Thieves Juniors at the age of eleven – renowned for his large size as well as his hot temper. Though a capable student, Alphonse got expelled from school at age fourteen for assaulting his teacher and never went back.

Now able to focus completely on gang life, Capone graduated to the adult Five Points gang, where he became involved in gambling, prostitution, extortion and protection rackets. At the age of sixteen, he got into a fight at the Harvard Inn after trying to chat up another hood’s girl, and received three slashes to his face from a knife. From then on he became known as ‘Scarface.’

In December, 1918, Capone married Mae Coughlin. Their first child, Albert was born around the same time. Shortly thereafter, Al had a confrontation with an Irish gang leader by the name of Finnegan. The Irishman was going around insulting Italians and Al decided to teach him a lesson. He beat the man nearly to death. The Irish gangs were furious and let it be known that Capone’s life was in danger. It was decided that Al should lay low for a while and so he took his family to Chicago.

Settling into the Italian gang scene in Chicago, Al was given a position at the Four Deuces, an establishment headed by an old New York friend, John Torrio. It was 1919 and a new underground business venture was beckoning – Illegal distribution of liquor. Torrio, however, was hampered in his attempts to get in on this action by his own boss, Big Jim Colisimo, who was happy to continue with his existing operations without venturing into new areas. Torrio arranged for new boy Capone to do something about the problem and May 11, 1920, Colisimo was shot dead. John Torrio was now the head of the largest gang in Chicago. His second in command was Alphonse Capone.

Capone was now rich and powerful but he still had the explosive temper which got him thrown out of school six years earlier. During the early twenties, Chicago saw crackdowns on gang activity by the Mayor, but also increasing collusion with the police. The gangs began combining under Torrio but this led to many rivalries. On January 24, 1925 John Torrio was gunned down outside of his home. He survived, but decided he had had enough of gang life. He handed control over to Capone.

Capone engaged upon a campaign of violence in order to gain total control of the Chicago gangland. He would arrange for the murder of rival gang leaders one by one. Over the next two years a vicious gangland war ensued. When the smoke cleared, Al Capone was the man left standing.

By 1927 Capone had reached celebrity status. He was invited to major social functions that were normally out of bounds for criminals. He was worth millions of dollars and his power was absolute. By paying attention to the poor and downtrodden of Chicago – even opening soup kitchens – he was seen as a romantic Robin Hood figure by many. The authorities, however, were beginning to put the pressure on Capone and his operations.

On February 14, 1929 the notorious St. Valentines Day Massacre occurred, in which Capone’s henchmen, dressed as police officer’s, mowed down seven members of rival Bugsy Moran’s gang. This ruthless mass murder galvanised the police in their efforts to get Capone. About this time Capone discovered a plot to overthrow him from within his own organization. He personally beat the three perpetrators with a baseball bat before having them shot to death. Deciding to lay low for a while, Capone struck upon the novel idea of having himself arrested on a minor charge and spending a couple of months in jail. The authorities, however, seized their opportunity and on the petty charge of carrying a concealed weapon he was given a years imprisonment.

By the time of his release on March 17, 1930 the authorities had a new weapon against Capone. A law had recently been passed to the effect that illegally earned income was taxable. The IRS could now be used against the underworld. Al Capone was the focus of IRS operations and in the summer of 1930 they had their first breakthrough when one of Capone’s minor players, Edward O’Hare decided to do a deal with them. The second breakthrough came with the surfacing of a set of accounts that had been seized during a raid years before. The books showed that Capone did indeed have an income.

Capone was arrested and the scene was set for the most celebrated trial of the century. Initially Capone pleaded guilty, expecting a light sentence. In an unprecedented move, however, the trial judge announced he would not be bound by any such deal. The guilty plea was then revoked and a new trial date set.

Of the twenty three counts against him, Capone was found guilty of just five. But that was enough for him to be sentenced to 11 years imprisonment. The most notorious gangster in history was going to jail for tax evasion.

Capone tried to be a model prisoner but became involved in several prison fights, once being stabbed with a pair of scissors. In the late 30’s he began to display signs of mental instability. He spent the rest of his prison term in hospital. He was released from prison on 16 November, 1939. He lived out his last years in peaceful ill health, dying of a heart attack on January 25, 1948.

Copyright 2002 by PageWise, Inc

I thought Capone died in prison. :huh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
I found this:

I thought Capone died in prison.  :huh

Nope... he was a bit off his rocker, or so they thought.. and let him out to spend the rest of his days at his home in Florida. I didn't read all the article you posted so my apologies if I repeated what it said.