Willie Harris Article

DBAHO

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
All I'm saying is yes, Willie must go, but the Sox could have handled certain situations with him better, that's all. We'll agree to disagree.

The Sox could have handled it differently...? Like maybe they should have gone to the press and complained about what a head case Willie is.. how he doesn't listen.. the real reasons his ass was benched...

Who's the one running their mouths in the papers...? :rolly The Sox have been just fine in this situation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Can I get an "MVP" chant?  Just for old times sake?

No. And I'll give you the same thing I gave Jim, who is as you can imagine emotionally distraught over the thought of Willie not being around next year..

:stick

And for good measure.. :whip

Read my previous posts in this thread.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
The Sox could have handled it differently...? Like maybe they should have gone to the press and complained about what a head case Willie is.. how he doesn't listen.. the real reasons his ass was benched...

Who's the one running their mouths in the papers...?  :rolly The Sox have been just fine in this situation.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Then you've answered your own question.

I didn't have a question. You made a comment and I responded to it with facts on how the Sox could have stooped to Willie's level of crying to the media. They didn't. You think they could have done something different.. I don't agree. There was no question in there. If there was.. it would have been crystal clear.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Willie's problem is not unique.  He is only 26 in a sport/profession where he has the potential to make millions if he produces.  It is hard to produce from the bench.  Our lineup is now pretty well set in the positions he can play.  I expect if Iguchi looks okay in spring training,  Willie will be moved for prospects or injury coverage.  There is a reason most utility guys are older.  You need the attitude of being happy to make several hundred thousand and help the team, not I am a star.  I liked that he said it would motivate him.  If he plays well in the spring it enhances his trade value.  I can understand being pissed when told that "we have great plans for you" and then a somewhat (from Willie's standpoint) unproven guy is given millions for your job.

I think you can find a lot of parallels with Willie and other pro athletes. In particular, I can see Jamal Crawford and Willie getting along real well. Crawford thought just because he could score 50 points, he didn't have to work on other aspects of his game or keep a positive attitude.

Willie seems like he has a similar attitude. He was able to hit over .300 for a few months, and thought he deserved to play everyday over Uribe, Rowand and Valentin. Yet doing the little things to help the team win [bunting, stealing bases], and having a good work ethic and attitude, were just as important as what numbers Willie put up. My guess is Willie is his own #1 fan and spokesperson, and the sox have tired of his act

TWO questions.

Both answered........before you asked them.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)

Who's the one running their mouths in the papers...?  :rolly The Sox have been just fine in this situation.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
TWO questions.

Both answered........before you asked them.

rhetorical question

n.

A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.

[Download or Buy Now]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

rhetorical question

A question asked without expecting an answer but for the sake of emphasis or effect. The expected answer is usually "yes" or "no." For example, Can we improve the quality of our work? That's a rhetorical question. [Late 1800s]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.

Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

rhetorical question

n : a statement that is formulated as a question but that is not supposed to be answered; "he liked to make his points with rhetorical questions"

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

:rolly

Somebody will take him on because he can run, he bats left-handed and he can play the outfield as well as second base.

Even if he is a turd, the Sox need to be quiet and not diminish the little remaining value he has left.

Let him play a bit in spring training to create some interest. Then deal his butt.

But we still need to find a veteran utility infielder.

Iguchi is no sure thing -- and we need a backup shortstop better than Valdez.

Rhetorical huh? Wow, there's a new one for me.

But if a point has been made to the contrary, that question becomes unnecessary. But it's good to see you not completely miss the point and that you don't need to resort to being a smartass to try to make one. :P

Let's say your read in a weekly publication at work that 'Steff will be a huge part of the company's plans for 2005'. Two weeks later, you find out that the company went out and hired someone with your same title and will be paying them a good salary. I suppose your company has done nothing wrong and you wouldn't be upset or say anything to anyone about it?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
rhetorical question

n.

A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.

[Download or Buy Now]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

rhetorical question

A question asked without expecting an answer but for the sake of emphasis or effect. The expected answer is usually "yes" or "no." For example, Can we improve the quality of our work? That's a rhetorical question. [Late 1800s]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.

Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

rhetorical question

n : a statement that is formulated as a question but that is not supposed to be answered; "he liked to make his points with rhetorical questions"

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

:rolly

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Rhetorical huh? Wow, there's a new one for me.

But if a point has been made to the contrary, that question becomes unnecessary.   But it's good to see you not completely miss the point and that you don't need to resort to being a smartass to try to make one.   :P

Let's say your read in a weekly publication at work that 'Steff will be a huge part of the company's plans for 2005'.   Two weeks later, you find out that the company went out and hired someone with your same title and will be paying them a good salary.  I suppose your company has done nothing wrong and you wouldn't be upset or say anything to anyone about it?

Don't like it... don't respond. It's pretty simple. Smartass.. touche. Ignorant (as in misunderstanding, not rude) is more fitting, IMO.

And as I already said.. you think they handled it badly (paraphrasing) I don't. Agree to disagree...

Moooooooving on..

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
I say get rid of him. I understand he is frusterated, but it takes a real perfesional to keep your mouth shut.. *cough-*cough Rowand!

Rowand got shafted waaayyyy more than Willie ever did. And Rowand kept his mouth shut and gave his all every oppurtunity that arised for him. Patience has payed off for him. Rowand is a true team player. Willie on the other hand had to open up his mouth and start whining. I hope KW read that article and is busy as we speak working on a plan to get rid of him.

Not only that, but Rowand busted his ass to make it in this league. Rowand's professional attitude and work ethic should serve as a model to any sox young player coming up of how to make it in the majors [provided they have the talent of course].

Willie has the talent. But something is definitely missing.

I believe the article in question was Scott Merkin's on the official White Sox site, the one about middle infielders.

It's easy to state, well, they shouldn't say anything at all about Harris if they knew they were gonna get Iguchi.

But here's the thing ... doesn't it make sense to portray to the public "everything is normal" vs. saying "we have no comment about Willie Harris". They are not going to trash this guy in the press, and I'd rather they pump his value up anyway.

The other issue is, this kind of chatter in the press is normal for baseball teams. Merkin himself wrote in the article the Sox were after Iguchi but negotiations appear at a standstill. So, if Harris himself didn't figure out the Sox were looking for an upgrade he is blowing smoke up his own ass.

The Sox said good things about Harris recently and in the same breath said he needed more consistency. That is not news to Harris, I would bet he's been told that 100 times.

I suspect we'll shortly understand exactly what Willie Harris is worth on the trade market. Personally I would not be shocked if he's designated for assignment. Nor would I be surprised if they kept him thru spring training to let other teams get a look.

The unanswered question is still, does this guy have minor league options left?

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Somebody will take him on because he can run, he bats left-handed and he can play the outfield as well as second base.

Even if he is a turd, the Sox need to be quiet and not diminish the little remaining value he has left.

Let him play a bit in spring training to create some interest. Then deal his butt.

But we still need to find a veteran utility infielder.

Iguchi is no sure thing -- and we need a backup shortstop better than Valdez.

Agree on all points. Nicely put :headbang

IMO, the sox have been pretty quiet about Harris. This should get more teams interested in him. The UTL Ifer should play SS and another IF spot, in case Uribe goes down, or Iguchi/ Crede tank. Then the backup can take over SS, while Uribe goes to 3b or 2b. Valdez might be able to play a serviceable SS for a week or two. But that's about it.

Please stop it, you tickle me.

Then take your own advice. You disagreed with what I wrote, don't respond. 'Don't like it... don't respond, it's pretty simple', remember?

But as usual, you get proven wrong and get hot headed, typical.

I don't expect a reply since you've 'moved on'. I need the bathroom, my bladder.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Don't like it... don't respond. It's pretty simple. Smartass.. touche. Ignorant (as in misunderstanding, not rude) is more fitting, IMO.

And as I already said.. you think they handled it badly (paraphrasing) I don't. Agree to disagree...

Moooooooving on..

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
I suspect we'll shortly understand exactly what Willie Harris is worth on the trade market.  Personally I would not be shocked if he's designated for assignment.  Nor would I be surprised if they kept him thru spring training to let other teams get a look.

The unanswered question is still, does this guy have minor league options left?

If the market now sucks for willie, the Sox should wait as long as possible into ST to deal him. If someone goes down on the sox or another 2b man around the league, Willie's value will increase. Then, he could be designated. But the Sox should try to wait it out until using the "nuclear option".

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
If the market now sucks for willie, the Sox should wait as long as possible into ST to deal him. If someone goes down on the sox or another 2b man around the league, Willie's value will increase. Then, he could be designated. But the Sox should try to wait it out until using the "nuclear option".

Beck all i expect is a minor league player for this guy.