Experts cooling the optimism

Texsox

I don't put all that much stock in what baseball experts are saying, but when we get so little love in the off season I have to reevaluate what's happened.

Plesae dont call these people that write articles and are on ESPN experts cuz quite frankly, mmost of them are idiots and are only involved with journalism/Broadcasting for charisma/writing abillity.........

We are just as good(knowledgably & analyzically) as Rob Neyer, Tim Kirkijan etc.

THESE GUYS ARE NOT EXPERTS-IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO AN EXPERT........Meet some of the top futures gamblers in sports or listen to a man like Billy Beane or Theo Epstein or John Schulsterererererere(somethin like that) or even Walt Jocketty.

Listening to Steve Phillips makes me sick; HE is an embarassment to baseball itself.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
I've done this analysis already.  The Sox are losing about 20-25 in both the R & RBI dept.  But they are shaving off 70+ R in the pitching dept. 

Im not so sure we are going to lose that many runs. This team is built around speed with some punch in the middle of the lineup. We will still score alot of runs this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Im not so sure we are going to lose that many runs.  This team is built around speed with some punch in the middle of the lineup.  We will still score alot of runs this year.

When we are at full strength we have four of the slowest players in the league if not all of baseball. It is not a guarantee when someone hits a single that pierz, crede, konerko, or thomas will score from second. Sometimes i wonder if konerko will be able to score if he was on first and someone hit a triple.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
When we are at full strength we have four of the slowest players in the league if not all of baseball. It is not a guarantee when someone hits a single that pierz, crede, konerko, or thomas will score from second. Sometimes i wonder if konerko will be able to score if he was on first and someone hit a triple.

Crede isn't that slow. Aj and Pauly are snails and Frank while definitely slow isn't Pauly slow.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Crede isn't that slow.  Aj and Pauly are snails and Frank while definitely slow isn't Pauly slow.

it's bothered me that you haven't asked one of the mods/admins to change your name to rowand33....that is unless there already is one. :huh

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
it's bothered me that you haven't asked one of the mods/admins to change your name to rowand33....that is unless there already is one. :huh

LOL, sorry, I've thought about it I just don't want to mess with the name, you know there is just to much awesomeness attached to it :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Crede isn't that slow.  Aj and Pauly are snails and Frank while definitely slow isn't Pauly slow.

Crede is that slow. You watching a different crede than me? Frank might be even slower after coming back from the surgery. When i think of a speed team i think of a team that can go from first to third almost at will. That is not gonna be the white sox in 2005.

To say that Crede is one of the slowest guys in the league imo, is way off. He can score from second on a single once in awhile. We added one slow guy in pierz to what we had last year. We gained pods and iguchi. We still have Uribe and Rowand. Dye has mediocre speed. So we are faster than last year which can help us score more runs.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Once in a while? That is not good enough.

considering how many times the Sox had someone on second with someone one hitting a single behind them.....I think that once in a while would be 100%. I mean...how many times was Crede on second...when someone hitting behind him, Davis-Harris-Burke, actually singled. Usually the outcome would be a fly-out, foul-out, strike-out, homerun, more often than a single. Crede had few opportunities to do so.

Hopefully this year it's different, he can't get any slower right??...............right?? :unsure:

I don't think you can expect the transition from a power based team to a speed team to manifest in one offseason, considering what we had to work with. Of those four players, are any of them even signed for next season? I think they (ozzie & kw) will see what this offense can do, and address what needs to be during the season & next offseason.

I, personally, am expecting the Sox to be a fun team to watch this season and to be competitive.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Crede is that slow. You watching a different crede than me? Frank might be even slower after coming back from the surgery. When i think of a speed team i think of a team that can go from first to third almost at will. That is not gonna be the white sox in 2005.

Yes, you must be watching a different Crede then me cause Joe isn't that slow.

The naysayers are missing the point completely.

Pods + Iggy - speed

Dye + Koney + Everett OR Thomas + Koney + Dye - power

Rowand + Uribe - speed

AJ + Crede - power

It doesn't matter whether Koney, AJ, Thomas, & Crede are slow.

What matter is the mix the speed & power. It does 2 things for:

1 - stretches weak hits w RISP into runs

2 - reduces GIDPs

3 - puts more pressure on pitches & middle IFers

But since you are so hell bent on the subject here are the players as they rank speed wise:

1-Pods

2-Iggy

3-Rowand

4-Uribe

5-Dye

6-Crede/Everett

7-Thomas/Crede

8-AJP

9-Koney

There is better speed on the bench:

Timo > Dye

Gload > Crede

Davis > Rowand

Harris > Rowand

The team is deep when it comes to both pinch hitting & running.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)

Pods + Iggy - speed

Rowand + Uribe - speed

AJ + Crede - power

What matter is the mix the speed & power.  It does 2 things for:

2 - reduces GIDPs

But since you are so hell bent on the subject here are the players as they rank speed wise:

1-Pods

2-Iggy

3-Rowand

4-Uribe

5-Dye

6-Crede/Everett

7-Thomas/Crede

8-AJP

9-Koney

Timo > Dye

Gload > Crede

Davis > Rowand

Harris > Rowand

You did not just say davis is faster than rowand and that pierz is a power guy now did you?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)

Pods + Iggy - speed

Rowand + Uribe - speed

AJ + Crede - power

What matter is the mix the speed & power.  It does 2 things for:

2 - reduces GIDPs

1-Pods

2-Iggy

3-Rowand

4-Uribe

5-Dye

6-Crede/Everett

7-Thomas/Crede

8-AJP

9-Koney

Timo > Dye

Gload > Crede

Davis > Rowand

Harris > Rowand

AJP a power guy? Timo > Dye? Davis as in Big Ben Davis > Rowand? I don't even think lines and lines of stats can get you anywhere near enough evidence to prove those right.