Karl Malone

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
Malone DIDN'T have a better season than Jordan that year.  He had a great season,  no doubt about that,  but his 97 season was no different than any of his other years before that.  The difference was the Jazz had the best record in the west that year.  That was basically a sentimental mvp for Malone.  They couldn't give it to Michael every year,  even though he was the mvp and best player.  The post-season more than proved that.

Thank you, you proved my point perfectly. That was Jordan's MVP in '97.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
Thank you, you proved my point perfectly. That was Jordan's MVP in '97.

You could honestly make the argument that Jordan was the mvp every year from 88-98. But like I said, they can't give it to the same guy every year. But I get why you're upset about Mj not getting it that year. He would be tied with Abdul Jabar for most mvp's ever.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Wait till you start seeing the people you watched while growing up start to die.  That's what really gets depressing.

I believe it. Reggie Miller's one of 2 guys I grew up on (the other is in my sig), and continues to be my favorite player. Though it was expected, b/c he said he never wanted to play past 40, (he turns 40 in August). It just seems weird, b/c you never wanted it to end. I just wish all that basketbrawl stuff didn't happen. The Pacers finished w/ the best record last year and could have very well done the same and possibly went to the finals. It's a sad way to go out, but I have no doubt he'll always be my favorite basketball player.

It wasn't a sentimental thing. If they went by that, Sloan would've been coach of the year a long time ago. But hasn't been yet instead. Jordan had a number of mvp's already and that year Malone and Jordan were both pretty even. Of course there's going to be a new change in blood for the mvp.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
It wasn't a sentimental thing. If they went by that, Sloan would've been coach of the year a long time ago. But hasn't been yet instead. Jordan had a number of mvp's already and that year Malone and Jordan were both pretty even. Of course there's going to be a new change in blood for the mvp.

But you do admit that Malone's 97 season was no different that any of his prior seasons, other than the fact the Jazz had the best record in the west, right?

That may have been a big reason for the MVP. But you have to admit those major stats are very simular if not favorite Malone. The assists thing just baffles me, you have guys like Stockton and Hornacek getting the assists, but Malone still got more assists than Jordan did. But whatever.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
That may have been a big reason for the MVP. But you have to admit those major stats are very simular if not favorite Malone. The assists thing just baffles me, you have guys like Stockton and Hornacek getting the assists, but Malone still got more assists than Jordan did. But whatever.

I wouldn't read too much into the assists totals. Both players were fantastic passers. Pippen was the Bulls primary ballhandler, along with Harper and Kukoc. Mj, during one season, averaged 8 assists per game. Not hard to imagine him duplicating that if he was the primary ballhandler.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
Also, if I remember right, I think Malone had a better year in 98, but Jordan was the MVP. I have no clue what Jordan's stats were that year so I'm not complaining about him winning it.

I think it was the voters way of basically saying sorry for giving it to Malone the previous year. :D

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
I'm not gonna get it through thick headed Jordan fans just like you're not going to get it through thick headed Malone fans so I'm probably gonna head out. I had fun discussing this though. Cya later.

LOL. Fair enough. Have a good night man.

Edited by Jordan4life_2004

This whole "Karl stole Michael's MVP award" discussion made me laugh. Who cares? Karl was an absolute stud and MJ was slightly better. It's not like Karl's "stealing" of the '97 MVP is going to keep MJ out of the HOF or that Karl needs that MVP to get inducted in his first year of eligibility. Sheesh... :rolly

MVP awards are overrated. They don't really mean anything, it's just a collection of people's opinions. You could make a strong case in any year that 2 or 3 other players could have been MVP. Hell, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown and didn't get the MVP, so it can't mean that much. Do we really think that Bill Russell was Michael's equal because they both have 5 MVP's, or that he was better than Chamberlain because he only won 4? No. You could make a strong case that Russell wasn't the MVP on his TEAM in some of those years, or that Michael should have won more, ect., but in the long run it doesn't matter. Malone definitely deserved one at some point during his career, he was a hell of a player. No matter when he got it people would be complaining because Michael didn't win, at least on this board.

By the way, Bird was definitely a SF for the bulk of his career. You could make a case for him being the best SF ever. In my book it comes down to him and Dr. J.

Just for fun, my All-time starting 5

PG tough call, but I like Oscar Robertson over Magic

SG Michael, next

SF Julius Erving

PF Larry Bird (yeah, it's cheating, but I'm going small to leave more room for the man in the middle, and it makes me not have to choose between Erving and Bird. If I'm forced to take a PF, I'll go with Malone)

C Wilt Chamberlain

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
MVP awards are overrated. They don't really mean anything, it's just a collection of people's opinions. You could make a strong case in any year that 2 or 3 other players could have been MVP. Hell, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown and didn't get the MVP, so it can't mean that much. Do we really think that Bill Russell was Michael's equal because they both have 5 MVP's, or that he was better than Chamberlain because he only won 4? No. You could make a strong case that Russell wasn't the MVP on his TEAM in some of those years, or that Michael should have won more, ect., but in the long run it doesn't matter. Malone definitely deserved one at some point during his career, he was a hell of a player. No matter when he got it people would be complaining because Michael didn't win, at least on this board.

By the way, Bird was definitely a SF for the bulk of his career. You could make a case for him being the best SF ever. In my book it comes down to him and Dr. J.

Pretty good ratings right here i think.

http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/hoopla/smfr3.html

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 05:44 AM)

Just for fun, my All-time starting 5

PG tough call, but I like Oscar Robertson over Magic

SG Michael, next

SF Julius Erving

PF Larry Bird (yeah, it's cheating, but I'm going small to leave more room for the man in the middle, and it makes me not have to choose between Erving and Bird. If I'm forced to take a PF, I'll go with Malone)

C Wilt Chamberlain

I'd put either Moses Malone or Bill Russell at PF. Moses Malone had 2,500 more offensive rebounds than the next closest mang in NBA history, and Bill Russell had close to 22,000 rebounds altogether (second to Wilt and 4,000 more boards than the #3 ranked player, not to mention the fact that he's the greatest defender ever with 11 rings and 8 in a row at one point). You could never, ever, ever make a case that Russell wasn't the centerpiece of every last one of those championship teams.

I like your PG call of Oscar Robertson over Magic.

Larry Bird was a small forward through and through. The fact that some people on this board are completely unaware of that frightens me.

Edited by hammerhead johnson