Getting married at Comiskey Park

easyw

Dougly, first you get a 12 pack of Ho-Hos, then you call Anna-Nicole and pretend to sound like an old man with money..."Jeeves, bring my car around." Secondly.. you grease up her front door and put the Ho-hos on the front step.

You know where to go after this.. right..? The Rhino tranquilizer.

Edited by knightni

In all seriousness, I can see some clueless guy wanting this. But what kind of a woman would want the most special, memoriable moment of her life to take place on an outfield warning track littered with empty beer cups, peanut shells, cigarette butts, and tobacco juice?... Christ, if I even suggested getting married at a ballpark to a sane woman, I'd get my skull bashed in. Women want to be married in the safety of a beauitiful church (the more stained glass and light - the better) surrounded by close friends and family.

Agreed that most women would break off their engagement the minute that their fiance' suggested something like this.

A word of advice to all single and engaged men: Do not mess with your woman's wedding plans. It's her day, not yours. Do what she wants to do.

My perfect wedding would take place at the United Center during a Blackhawks game. Tuomo Ruutu could be my ring bearrer by taping the rings to a puck and shooting it down the ice to Tbo, who's waiting at the goalmouth for them. Tbo would be the presider of the wedding. Instead of a wedding dress, I'd wear a white Blackhawks sweater and my groom would wear the third Blackhawks sweater (the black one).

At the reception, the first dance where only the groom and bride dance would be done to the tune of "Here come the Hawks."

Our wedding cake would be in the shape of the Stanley Cup.

Oh, how great a wedding this would be. :)

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Agreed that most women would break off their engagement the minute that their fiance' suggested something like this.

A word of advice to all single and engaged men:  Do not mess with your woman's wedding plans.  It's her day, not yours.  Do what she wants to do.

Which is like every other day thereafter. :P

QUOTE(Heather Lee @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
My perfect wedding would take place at the United Center during a Blackhawks game.  Tuomo Ruutu could be my ring bearrer by taping the rings to a puck and shooting it down the ice to Tbo, who's waiting at the goalmouth for them.  Tbo would be the presider of the wedding.  Instead of a wedding dress, I'd wear a white Blackhawks sweater and my groom would wear the third Blackhawks sweater (the black one).

At the reception, the first dance where only the groom and bride dance would be done to the tune of "Here come the Hawks."

Our wedding cake would be in the shape of the Stanley Cup.

Oh, how great a wedding this would be. :)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Proposing in a ballpark is bad enough...

I disagree.

I wanted to propose to my then-girlfriend at Comiskey, but those f***ers said it was "against policy", even though I had friends who worked the scoreboard at the time. Thanks for NOTHIN', Sox management..... :fyou

Wound up getting engaged in my favorite bar, The Wrigleyville Tap - and shut up, it was an AWESOME bar despite the name!!! Best punk/metal jukebox ever, with the possible exception of Exit when it was on Wells, and right next door to Metro, so bands were drinking in there all the time.

:headbang Wrigleyville Tap!!! :headbang

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
I disagree.

I wanted to propose to my then-girlfriend at Comiskey, but those f***ers said it was "against policy", even though I had friends who worked the scoreboard at the time. Thanks for NOTHIN', Sox management..... :fyou

Not forcing someone to say yes to a proposal they may not be interested in is a bad thing?

Anybody who would propose that way is 1) a coward, and 2) selfish.

And LOL! You have friends who work there, so you should be immune to the rules? :rolly

The judge told me I have to pay this speeding ticket! Doesn't that f***er know my neighbor's wife's cousin dated a cop back in 1987? Ignorant prick.

Edited by lvjeremylv

This is a brilliant idea by the Sox & the ISFA. They already have the Roberts movie with the famous cat fight scene in the bathroom. So marriage, weddings, & the Cell was already introduced to the public. This idea could actually lead to another Hollywood movie that includes a wedding at the Cell. Maybe even featuring Roberts herself. It's an idea that can't hurt & an idea that could really be embraced by Hollywood.

There's nothing like the silver screen to sell your ball park ;)

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Not forcing someone to say yes to a proposal they may not be interested in is a bad thing?

Anybody who would propose that way is 1) a coward, and 2) selfish.

And LOL!  You have friends who work there, so you should be immune to the rules? :rolly

The judge told me I have to pay this speeding ticket!  Doesn't that f***er know my neighbor's wife's cousin dated a cop back in 1987?  Ignorant prick.

A very interesting and bizarre take on it, for sure.

First of all, I was VERY confident in her accepting the proposal, since I'd known her for over 2 years at the time, and were both definitely interested in committing further. So there's no "forcing" anyone to do anything.

Very strange take that wanting to have a moment that means a lot to you with a person who means a lot to you in a place that means a lot to you is either "cowardly" or "selfish" - you got something in your head that I can't understand if you really think that way.

Third, if you think that knowing people who can influence something never happens, you're very naive.

And way to equate a message on a scoreboard with breaking a law - that seems to be exactly the same thing.... :headshake

And the only reason that pissed me off is that NOW they routinely have proposal messages on the scorebaords in most, if not all, major league stadia....

I don't know about the rest of you but when I proposed it was not a complete surprise. I think in general when two people get serious about one another there is a feeling out period where they just kind of slide in questions about the perfect date, perfect engagement, perfect wedding, perfect honeymoon, perfect vacation, etc. The world perfect or dream or ideal is always a part of it.

So when it comes time to proposing you take what you learn from that & try to make her day. The thing about the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" is that would have made Roberts day. She was a character who loved baseball & loved the Sox when she knew the groom in her younger days.

I'm sure there are women out there who both loved the movie & idea.

As there are women like mine who don't. There's nothing wrong about either group. She goes to a few games with me a year just for the atmosphere & I think that's cool of her. If I were a guy entertaining

the idea of a wedding at the ball park here's what I would do:

Once you're passed going steady & things are getting serious mention the My Best Friend's Wedding the next time your at the park with her. If the conversation moves to weddings at the park in general than there's your opening. If she likes the idea go for it when you propose. If she doens't forget about it. It's sort of a pre-requisite that she needs to go to a few games with you a year before entertaining the idea ;)

That's why I say this is a brilliant move because there exists a popular movie that encompases the idea & the ball park as a conversation starter.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
A very interesting and bizarre take on it, for sure.

First of all, I was VERY confident in her accepting the proposal, since I'd known her for over 2 years at the time, and were both definitely interested in committing further. So there's no "forcing" anyone to do anything.

Very strange take that wanting to have a moment that means a lot to you with a person who means a lot to you in a place that means a lot to you is either "cowardly" or "selfish" - you got something in your head that I can't understand if you really think that way.

Third, if you think that knowing people who can influence something never happens, you're very naive.

And way to equate a message on a scoreboard with breaking a law - that seems to be exactly the same thing.... :headshake

And the only reason that pissed me off is that NOW they routinely have proposal messages on the scorebaords in most, if not all, major league stadia....

You can't understand how much pressure a girl must feel to say yes if she's proposed to in front of thousands of people on a big scoreboard? Interesting.

And sure, in some scenarios, it's cut and dry and the girl is going to say yes, and perhaps many times it's known ahead-of-time that the proposal is going to take place. But for the percentage of proposals that are spontaneous and a surprise, it's wise of the Sox to not allow guys to sabbotage helpless girls.

(2 years isn't very long at all to know somebody before getting married, BTW ;))

And of course, the saying "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know" rings true very often. But, to expect preferrential treatment just because you happen to know somebody (whether it's a manager at McDonald's, a scoreboard operator, or the President of the US) is a sad way to go through life.