ESPN Preseason Power Rankings

YoungstownIndians

QUOTE(YoungstownIndians @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Crisp, Belliard, Broussard, Martinez, Hafner, Blake, Gonzalez, Boone, and Peralta {AAA MVP}

Crede was an MVP in the minors too. That doens't always guarantee there will be instant success. We have seen how Joe has struggled. I wouldn't bank on Peralta being the next big thing for your team.

QUOTE(YoungstownIndians @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
HAHA. The Twins Rotation is probably the best in the A.L.

There is a reason they have held you off the past 3 years.

I hate to do this, because he is no longer here...but does he realize how ludicrous this comment really is?

Boston's rotation - Schilling, Wells, Clement, Wake, Arroyo, Miller

New York's rotation - RJ, Pavano, Wright, Moose, Brown

Both of those 2 pwn Minny's rotation. You can also make arguments for (Los Angeles Angels of) Anaheim, Oakland, Chicago, and perhaps even Seattle and Toronto.

And in 2003, Colon-Buehrle-Elo-Garland was better then Minny's rotation of Johan-Radke-Rogers-Lohse-Mays/Reed/Pulido/Milton. In fact, of the Twins starters, only Johan had an ERA below 4.49...and a lot of Johan's innings came out of the pen too.

So, basically...no.

From what I saw in this thread, Youngstown came in here and decided to rub those rankings in our faces a little bit. You know what? There's nothing wrong with that! He comes in here knowing he's gonna be badly outnumbered and shouted down. Hook ... line ... sinker. You guys really took the bait. If you can't, as a group, defend the Sox adequately against a single Indians fan without resorting to name calling then you all need to just STFU.

Our fearless leader and a couple of others did jump to save this thread and the dignity of Soxtalk. Did you guys notice what happened at that point? This turned into a serious discussion on the strengths and weakness of teams, with analysis of the Twins thrown in for good measure. A baseball discussion. What a concept. Some of you guys ought to give it a try sometime.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm glad that we picked up AJ Pierzynski for the blazing speed he brings to the table.

Anyone is better than Ben Davis. But you're gonna argue that AJ is in the same league powerwise as Maggs, CLee, and Thomas?

And, I'm sure as hell glad that Iguchi doesn't have any power whatsoever.

You know for a fact that Iguchi is gonna be the next Ichiro-type from Japan but with more power? How do you know he isn't gonna be the next Kaz Matsui in his first year with the Sox?

Oh yeah -- Uribe and Crede, no power there either.

Uribe had a career year last season. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he can put up similar numbers to '04. And Crede? You have got to be kidding me. The Sox need a career year out of Joe Crede before he, singlehandedly, can make a dent in anyone's power rankings list.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19,2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Rowand?  Yeah, he's a grinder and a slasher, he's a hit it and run-it-out type of guy.

Are you saying that Rowand is a power-hitter that can put up more than 35 HR's in a season? Seriously?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19,2005 -> 12:36 PM)
But hey, with the exception of Dye, Konerko, Pierzynski, Everett, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe, Everett, and Rowand -- our whole lineup up is full of hit-it and run-it-out type of guys.  Great assessment, Killa!

BTW -- Where've ya been?  I guess you didn't believe half of us in saying to give the offseason a chance to get started before you started b****ing.  Haven't seen much of you, lately, though.  Funny, isn't it...

I've been here all along. Thanks for asking. I've been refraining from the pointless drivel the likes that someone such as yourself posts here on a daily basis. "Great assessment" without taking into account Intangible 1 CWSGuy :rolly.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Just a few facts I want to put out there...

Ordonez hit 35 or more HRs in 1 of the 7 seasons he was with the Sox.

Lee has never hit 35 or more HRs in 1 season.

Rowand hit 24 HRs in 140 games last year and led the team in AVG, SLG, and OBP.

Where the f*** are you going with this?

Edited by The Bones

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Just a few facts I want to put out there...

Ordonez hit 35 or more HRs in 1 of the 7 seasons he was with the Sox.

Lee has never hit 35 or more HRs in 1 season.

Rowand hit 24 HRs in 140 games last year and led the team in AVG, SLG, and OBP.

Where the f*** are you going with this?

35 was just a number I threw out based on the fact that most preseason predictions I see from the eternal optimists on assorted Sox boards have Rowand hitting anywhere between 30-35 HR's. I, like you have stated with stats in the above stated post, don't think that's going to happen. BUt what the hell do I know. I've only been right about most things Sox the past 3 years.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 05:18 AM)
35 was just a number I threw out based on the fact that most preseason predictions I see from the eternal optimists on assorted Sox boards have Rowand hitting anywhere between 30-35 HR's. I, like you have stated with stats in the above stated post, don't think that's going to happen. BUt what the hell do I know. I've only been right about most things Sox the past 3 years.

And I'm glad you were right about the Sox doing jack-s*** this offseason. :lol:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
You're very talented to be bedding her and typing at the same time.

Me thinks the Wireless Labtop is possibly coming in handy. :nono

And for the very last time, who really gives a s*** about where we're PREDICTED to finish. Unless there are those fans that need to be re-assured that their team is actually any good.

I've only been right about most things Sox the past 3 years.

If you do say so yourself. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Seems you've forgotten all of your drivel from November and December about how the Sox wouldn't add anyone or sign anyone because they're too cheap. As I recall you were here pretty much every day then, adding in your .02

I don't get the sense that lots of people here are drinking White Sox Kool Aid, nor do I see the purpose in your sour negative outlook on all that is White Sox.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
I honestly don't see why he was banned. He gave us something to talk about the outside world. Most people here were acting as mature as kids. "No you can't join our club because you're different." He brought something different to Soxtalk. OHHHHH NOOOO, cry to the masses.

Realize you're dealing with a majority of people here who are Sox fans that act like the Sox have a history like the Yankees. Rational thinking and opposing views obviously are not allowed.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Seems you've forgotten all of your drivel from November and December about how the Sox wouldn't add anyone or sign anyone because they're too cheap.  As I recall you were here pretty much every day then, adding in your .02

Could you blame me after the '03-'04 offseason? And let's not forget that I have previously posted here that I was GLAD I was wrong about this offseason. But let's not act like JR and Co. went out this offseason and added $10-$20 million in payroll. JR and Co. dumped big contracts for small contracts in an attempt to address deficiencies. Will it work? NOBODY KNOWS AND THAT IS MY POINT. You're one of the smarter posters here JimH even if we don't see eye-to-eye at times.

Be honest..... don't you think some of the predictions and expectations posted here as of late border on ridiculous and extremely difficult for most players, based on past performance, to attain? Don't you think most here are expecting too much from a team with a 2nd year coach that made a ton of mistakes last season and has yet to play Game 1 on the field?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 06:36 AM)
I honestly don't see why he was banned. He gave us something to talk about the outside world. Most people here were acting as mature as kids. "No you can't join our club because you're different." He brought something different to Soxtalk. OHHHHH NOOOO, cry to the masses.

he didnt give us much to talk about except being a cleveland indians homer using only power rankings to back his story up. Id consider it more of a waste of space than constructive.

I dont mind if someone points out the flaws in our team but when he uses the logic that we lost Carlos Lee so we going to be so much worse but doesnt point out they lost vizquel and lawton who both were good last year and thinks the Tribe going to be so much better... :headshake