Oscar Thread...

bjm676

Hey sox4lifeinPA,

You're are entirely entitled to your opinions, but you don't need to come on here and start talking down to people because they are younger than you or you think they are "stupid". I respect your opinions, and can we keep the "attacks" to a minimum. Who cares how old everyone is, let them enjoy what they want to enjoy. :cheers

Edited by Purdue129

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 05:20 AM)
If you can't analyze a movie and see it for what it's worth, then what's the point? I thought the first 2/3rds were quite good, however, the movie took a turn for the clear point to invoke false emotions. The actions of the characters were inconsistent with the characters themselves.

I studied films for 2 years in college, so i'd like to think I know a tad about movies and how to gain an opinion on them.

False emotions? Is that an oxymoron? So if you found the ending sad, you were fake crying?

Wouldn't a movie be boring if a character never changed? That is what character development is. I'd like to go into detail but I don't want to name out plot points for people who have not seen it.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Hey sox4lifeinPA,

You're are entirely entitled to your opinions, but you don't need to come on here and start talking down to people because they are younger than you or you think they are "stupid".  I respect your opinions, and can we keep the "attacks" to a minimum.  Who cares how old everyone is, let them enjoy what they want to enjoy.  :cheers

Me? personal attacks? :ph34r: where's the angel smilie? Besides, my comments on his age were accompanied by a caveat that I respected his opinion but thought life experience was important when assessing art, in this case a film.

have your opinion and hold it, that's fine. I'm just explaining to you my indepth analysis of that movie. I think the movie needed to be decoded, because initially I thought it was great...but in hindsight, it was quite manipulative.

I would have preferred Sideways in that it was the most original movie of all those nominated. And besides its originality, I thoroughly enjoyed it over anything else.

Although I would have taken Scorcese as best director, Eastwood did a magnificant job on Million Dollar Baby. As far as acting though, Foxx was by far the most deserving. I know I might be in the minority here, but I think Eastwood should stick to directing. He just seems to play the same character over and over again. When I watch him in a movie, I keep thinking, "hey, its Clint Eastwood and he's playing....Clint Eastwood."

Anyways, I'm not disappointed that MDB won. Magnificant movie. If the ending bothers you, thats your opinion, although I think that there may be a different agenda involved in that line of thinking...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/...h.ap/index.html

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
Me? personal attacks?  :ph34r:  where's the angel smilie?  Besides, my comments on his age were accompanied by a caveat that I respected his opinion but thought life experience was important when assessing art, in this case a film. 

have your opinion and hold it, that's fine. I'm just explaining to you my indepth analysis of that movie. I think the movie needed to be decoded, because initially I thought it was great...but in hindsight, it was quite manipulative.

you're not the only person i know that thinks that way about MDB, but like i said, your insight and opinon is appreciated...

as is everyone else's if they're 5 or 95 :gosox1:

I studied films for 2 years in college, so i'd like to think I know a tad about movies and how to gain an opinion on them.

I'm sure the people following David Koresh thought they knew a tad about Christianity... kidding

False emotions? Is that an oxymoron? So if you found the ending sad, you were fake crying?

I didn't cry, but my girlfriend did (which she does at 80% of the movies she watches) and she said she felt manipulated into feeling sad. I am not afraid to cry at movies but I felt like MDB was trying to take me to a place artificially by creating this desperate place for Maggie

Wouldn't a movie be boring if a character never changed?

no, that would be called consistency. That's what Maggie was. She trained by herself for 3 years before Eastwood's character began to train her, then he spent 2 years with her and takes her to the pinnacle of boxing...and then she just gives up?

That is what character development is.

no that's character degredation

I'd like to go into detail but I don't want to name out plot points for people who have not seen it.

they should stop reading this then...or a mod can split this off for spoiler reasons

QUOTE(Spiff @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
I hate Sean Penn so much.  Way to take everything seriously, dips***.

I know.

I'm sure Jude Law had a good laugh about it. When he hosted SNL a few months back he even joked about it himself saying "Alot of you may know me from my filmwork. Perhaps from the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 films I have coming out right now."

He should call up Sean Penn and tell him to shut the f*** up.

QUOTE(Cali @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 05:51 AM)
I know.

I'm sure Jude Law had a good laugh about it. When he hosted SNL a few months back he even joked about it himself saying "Alot of you may know me from my filmwork. Perhaps from the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 films I have coming out right now."

He should call up Sean Penn and tell him to shut the f*** up.

I'm actually a Sean Penn fan, but he definitely came off as a douchebag tonight. Chris Rock makes fun of everybody. If it's you or somebody you know, take it in stride...or, you know, take it as a joke.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
I'm actually a Sean Penn fan, but he definitely came off as a douchebag tonight.  Chris Rock makes fun of everybody.  If it's you or somebody you know, take it in stride...or, you know, take it as a joke.

okay, is it just me, or does Penn look drunk or strung out at every awards??

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
Jennifer Garner stole Brian Urlacher's shoulders....

Agree. I've always thought she appeared too manly. Her facial features are too chiseled. Women like Julia Roberts, Selma Hayek, or Zeta Jones is where its at. :drink

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
that's a shame.read through this thread again... that movie's got serious consistency and logistical errors.

Out of all the critics, reporters, and audience members throughout the country, you are the only one that thinks so.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
that's a shame.read through this thread again... that movie's got serious consistency and logistical errors.

Well, if we're gonna take movies apart by what could and is probable and likely to happen, they're all garbage. It's called suspending your disbelief, if you can't do that, then you will find major flaws in all of them. :huh

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
What did Sean Penn exactly say about Chris Rock? I know it had something to do with Jude Law and I heard Rock's reply, but missed what Penn said initially.

wow, I missed that entirely. I heard Rock crack on Jude Law in his monolgue, but didn't hear Penn fire back. Details please.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
Did anyone see all five best picture movies? I saw four of five...sideways being the missed film.

Finding Neverland was my pick.

anyone else?

I'm kind of embarassed to say I haven't seen one of the 5 that were nominated for Best Picture. But I did see Hotel Rwanda and a bunch of the other nominees.