Cub fans defrauded by own team

southsider2k5

That's been going on for years.... those are the guys who hang out between the El stop and Sports Corner. There's a sign there saying that only these guys are "certified" scalpers and that they are the only ones you should buy from.

I am glad this sham is finally being noticed.

Don't you think JR would do the same thing if/when the demand is there?

Owners are looking for EVERY way to bleed the bottom penny out of their consumers - thus the minor-league-looking advertisements plastered all over EVERYTHING and the "MegaShop starting lineup" and the "ValueStore first pitch" and the "official jock rash creme of the Local Sports Team" and so on and so on...

Besides, I always figured that Soderholm was in cahoots with JR on his scalping business - oops, sorry - "ticket brokerage"

To be honest, I don't see the problem. If their is a business for it, and a game is sold out and people want to buy tickets then why not sell them. Its not like other companies don't do the same. Plus, the way I see it, if people can make money then no problem. They aren't harming anyone, its legal to do. Its not like they are witholding tickets and then jacking the price up on them.

If JR were to do it, I'd have no problem, but their is no demand for it. Only thing I'd want is for him to put some of the money he makes into the White Sox.

To be honest, I don't see the problem.  If their is a business for it, and a game is sold out and people want to buy tickets then why not sell them.  Its not like other companies don't do the same.  Plus, the way I see it, if people can make money then no problem.  They aren't harming anyone, its legal to do.  Its not like they are witholding tickets and then jacking the price up on them. 

If JR were to do it, I'd have no problem, but their is no demand for it.  Only thing I'd want is for him to put some of the money he makes into the White Sox.

It is a betrayal of the fans. The ethics of the whole thing suck. And it may be illegal - be interesting to see what happens with the civil suit.

To create an artifical shortage by subtrafuge and then profit so exorbinately is something in many industries is regulated by law. To do the same with stocks would land you in jail.

To be honest, I don't see the problem.  If their is a business for it, and a game is sold out and people want to buy tickets then why not sell them.  Its not like other companies don't do the same.  Plus, the way I see it, if people can make money then no problem.  They aren't harming anyone, its legal to do.  Its not like they are witholding tickets and then jacking the price up on them. 

If JR were to do it, I'd have no problem, but their is no demand for it.  Only thing I'd want is for him to put some of the money he makes into the White Sox.

It is a betrayal of the fans. The ethics of the whole thing suck. And it may be illegal - be interesting to see what happens with the civil suit.

To create an artifical shortage by subtrafuge and then profit so exorbinately is something in many industries is regulated by law. To do the same with stocks would land you in jail.

Ya, I said as long as they weren't doing that then I don't have a problem. If they were then they are in serious trouble.

Dont think that the sox arent doing the same thing......cause I'd bet the farm that they are.

Not to sound like an ass but, what kind of market is there for White Sox tickets? There might be 5 games a year that are hard to get decent tickets for, other than that you can get box seats for almost any game.

Its not like they are witholding tickets and then jacking the price up on them.

That is exactly what they are doing. They are moving a certain level of their inventory to a place where fans have to pay X times the price, when they could sell that inventory directly to the fans for face value. I now that ticket brokers are here to stay and yes, brokers will always get a certain number of tickets because they grease the palms of people in the ticket offices.

I find a major problem with that as well. If ticket brokers are going to buy tickets they should have to do so in the same manner as any fan and have no better an opportunity to get premium seats.

I find it apalling that the Cubs would actually open a business in effect to drain extra money from their very own fans. It makes me wonder how many other teams are doing it too.

To me, this is the same as setting up a peanut stand (under a different business name, of course) outside the gates of the stadium and letting everyone know that they are out of peanuts at the concession stands inside the stadium. Fans can feel free to buy the peanuts outside the stadium for only $15 a bag, however. This scenario is bad enough, but if the team sold all of its peanuts to the peanut stand so that it would be sold out therefore enabling them to profit more from the $15 bags (albeit indirectly).

It just doesn't sit well with me at all.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well just to add a bit more to this...some of those tickets could also very well be season ticket holders tickets....i know of people who have at times been approached by brokers via mail or whatever,

(since they get a name list of people who are season ticket holders kinda the same way that those spamers get your email addy)

for key games and offered a nice sum for their tickets (depending on where they are in the stadium depends on the money you get for them)....everyone has a price and everyone is willing to pay a price depending on whats important to them........believe me what the cubs got caught doing here is nothing new and certanly they are not the only ones doing it.. the bulls did the very same thing at the untied center when they had their winning streak.. you can bet that the rest of the sporting world is doing some of the same pratices..........

I have just never heard of any team opening its own ticket brokerage......

I know tickets are always held back and if you know how things work you can take advantage of it. A good tip...... Events that are sold out or have "only bad seats" left 2 weeks before an event, will suddenly have great seats available two days before the event.

Sometimes you can be better off waiting to buy tickets to certain events. It is a gamble, because they won't ALWAYS be available, but it works a lot. It's kind of like going to a sold out hotel at 6:05 and scooping up a room that was booked but not held by a credit card. There are almost always rooms available then that are not available at 5:55.

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been said... but they ask season ticket holders if they aren't going to use any tickets if they can buy them back, then they turn them over to these guys. My friend caught them twice last year selling his season seats on there.

Does this surprise anybody? Everyone is always looking for an angle to bring in more of the almighty dollar. And when it comes right down to it, it's the American way. Supply and demand determines the market, and when people make up their minds that they won't go along with that crap, and cause a major falloff in demand, then it will stop. Until then, just bend over.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been said... but they ask season ticket holders if they aren't going to use any tickets if they can buy them back, then they turn them over to these guys. My friend caught them twice last year selling his season seats on there.

steff they do ask season ticket holders if they can buy the un used games... i have sold mine back on many occasions, for various reasons........what i was wondering in the article (they didnt say really) is did this broker wait in line like all the other flubbie faithful for tickets day of box office opening, because then it would be perfectly legal for him to do what hes doing or did the cubs just hand over the tickets to him (the broker) which i could then see a legal battle.....because i know that this year (being the first one i can remember in a long time) the sox put a limit on tickets you can purchase for big games ie. sox/cubs series.. to 4 tickets per person.....if the cubs didnt want the brokers to get lots of quality tickets then they should have done the same thing.....mho

did this broker wait in line like all the other flubbie faithful for tickets day of box office opening

Yeah right. These tickets are held back from ever being sold at the ticket window and sent straight to the broker where they can mark them up; in the case of the Yankees game, 3,000%. Supplemental income that I'm sure is part of the budgeting process in the Coob Towers. It's just poor treatment of the diehards that wait in line trying to buy tickets on the up and up. But then again, when did Tribune Co ever show that they really care about their fans?

Guest hotsoxchick1

well your last sentence says it all in a nut shell..... when do any of these owners really care about us the fan over the mighty dollar...........(well besides green bay and only because the fans own them lol)..........wish we could own the sox.... we would have a winner then thats for sure........

steff they do ask season ticket holders if they can buy the un used games... i have sold mine back on many occasions, for various reasons........what i was wondering in the article (they didnt say really) is did this broker wait in line like all the other flubbie faithful for tickets day of box office opening, because then it would be perfectly legal for him to do what hes doing or did the cubs just hand over the tickets to him (the broker) which i could then see a legal battle.....because i know that this year (being the first one i can remember in a long time) the sox put a limit on tickets you can purchase for big games ie. sox/cubs series.. to 4 tickets per person.....if the cubs didnt want the brokers to get lots of quality tickets then they should have done the same thing.....mho

From what he told me.. they bought the tickets back that he was unable to use.. and they sold them to the broker. No attempt at selling to the fans at all.