Frank invited to testify about steroids

CSF

Nobody has accused Frank Thomas of anything, so he doesn't need to "prove those bastards wrong." Throughout this whole steroid issue, from the very beginning, even before it became a big "story", Thomas has been outspoken in his disdain for the guys that used them and was vocal in how much of a disadvantage he was facing when trying to compete with the users.

My guess is the congress wants Frank Thomas to hear the story from that perspective.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank's being called as nothing more than someone that can give, or shoot down, credibility to Jose's stories. Jose and Frank were more than just casual friends at one point. I'm sure they just want to ask him about that time.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 05:40 AM)
Frank's being called as nothing more than someone that can give, or shoot down, credibility to Jose's stories. Jose and Frank were more than just casual friends at one point. I'm sure they just want to ask him about that time.

Steff, I think he’d be ‘victim’ type witness, the congressmen always trot out a couple of these when they stage a sensational hearing. But I doubt Frank’s the sort to be sobbing for the cameras like Sally Struthers, crying over his lost MVP. No good can come from this; steroid testing is a reality, the battle is already over. Frank Thomas shouldn’t go unless he is subpoenaed. He has nothing to do with it, let Waxman get on TV by leeching off of someone else’s fame.

Canseco will probably show up, maybe Frank, maybe SChilling, but that's probably it. Sosa will say he can't, due to spring training. McGwire will issue some statement about moving on.

And why wouldn't Bonds be invited to this? :bang

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 07:33 AM)
Steff, I think he’d be ‘victim’ type witness, the congressmen always trot out a couple of these when they stage a sensational hearing.  But I doubt Frank’s the sort to be sobbing for the cameras like Sally Struthers, crying over his lost MVP.  No good can come from this; steroid testing is a reality, the battle is already over. Frank Thomas shouldn’t go unless he is subpoenaed. He has nothing to do with it, let Waxman get on TV by leeching off of someone else’s fame.

I don't.

I agree, he's not, and wouldn't.

I disagree.. Frank should do anything he can to bring attention to the issue and show others, specifically kids comming up in college, how to do things the right way. Positive PR never hurts, and Arn will make sure Frank comes out smelling like a rose.

He plays major league baseball. Major league baseball players are under investigation. Strong association there..

This was in Mariotti's column about it...I kind of laughed at this..

In a perfect world, all of these men would show up and spill their guts. The one who might is Thomas, who isn't in White Sox camp as his ankle slowly heals. Unlike the others, he never has been connected to steroids rumors and has bitterly criticized users. This would be a chance to detail what he knows and cast his career in a better light for Cooperstown consideration. Imagine Sosa testifying in the hot seat, followed by Thomas. C-SPAN could charge pay-per-view rates for that drama. Same goes for Giambi, who could use the hearing to describe the depth of his steroids use. Schilling, who has talked candidly about pitchers (not himself) using steroids, always is great theater.

While it would be great, in my opinion, for Thomas to show up on his own accord and tell what he knows and how he feels about steroids, you have to remember how strong the player's union is. One word from the union may put a kabash on Frank testifying.

Now, if Frank told them behind the scenes to subpeona him, it might be a different story.

I think you guys are getting this kind of wrong.

Congress >>>>>> MLBPA

Congress is the one that gives Baseball its anti-trust exemption. Congress can destroy the MLBPA with the snap of its fingers.

If Congress asks some one to testify, the best policy if you are not worrying about 5th amendment self incrimination, is to testify. You do not want to start pissing in the wind with Congress.

If I was Frank's agent, I would tell him to testify to Congress. By failing to testify, they will first conclude he is guilty, second will just subpeona whoever they want anyways. If you start off on the wrong foot, they will be much bigger jerks towards him.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
I think you guys are getting this kind of wrong.

Congress >>>>>> MLBPA

Congress is the one that gives Baseball its anti-trust exemption. Congress can destroy the MLBPA with the snap of its fingers.

If Congress asks some one to testify, the best policy if you are not worrying about 5th amendment self incrimination, is to testify. You do not want to start pissing in the wind with Congress.

If I was Frank's agent, I would tell him to testify to Congress. By failing to testify, they will first conclude he is guilty, second will just subpeona whoever they want anyways. If you start off on the wrong foot, they will be much bigger jerks towards him.

SB

Actually, unless they subpeona Frank, they, Congress not >>>>>> MLBPA.

Edited by YASNY

So Congress does not grant MLB's anti-trust exemption?

Congress does not have the power to legislate laws?

This is news to me.

If MLBPA screws with Congress, Congress will just create a new law to screw MLBPA.

Even with out a subpeona, MLBPA is under Congress's power, not the other way around.

SB

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
I don't like Frank's name being mentioned with those guys no matter what it is. I just want him to stay clear of this whole f***ing mess.

Everyone knows Thomas is on the straight and narrow. I personally would like to see him get up there and start ripping apart the jackasses who disgraced the good name of the game.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
So Congress does not grant MLB's anti-trust exemption?

Congress does not have the power to legislate laws?

This is news to me.

If MLBPA screws with Congress, Congress will just create a new law to screw MLBPA.

Even with out a subpeona, MLBPA is under Congress's power, not the other way around.

SB

I said nothing of the kind. Read carefully this time. Frank was invited to testify. That is not an order. He can decline to do so. If the MLBPA whispers in Frank's ear not to do so, he probably won't testify. Now then, if they want Thomas to testify, and they subpeona him, then yes they have the power to make him. Regardless of the wishes of the MLBPA.

Schilling's in a similar situation to Frank. So the following kind of proves my point.

At Boston's camp in Fort Myers, Schilling said the call to testify was news to him and that he will consult with the union.

"We'll see what happens," he said. "I have no idea what it's about."

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 07:06 AM)
Good.  They should include Mr. Bonds with an invitation to the party.

The rumor is that the call to Bonds agent was responded with a rather stern "no, he is not intersted in attending" :rolly

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
The rumor is that the call to Bonds agent was responded with a rather stern "no, he is not intersted in attending" :rolly

Oh. I'm sure Bonds can be "persuaded" to attend. :lol:

If it was ever discovered that Frank, intentionally or unintentionally did steroids, I'd be crushed and never watch another game.

If I was chairing the committee, and wanted to send a statement that steroids are bad, and grab some headlines, I'd want a victim to testify. Someone who worked hard, did it the right way, and was obviously screwed out of his due.

Frank would be at the top of that list. Congressman and Congresswomen, fellow Americans, here is what good genetics and hard work will get you. This is the ultimate that these other guys could not get to, so they cheated. Mr. Thomas how do you feel, knowing you lost the 2000 MVP award to an admitted steroid user? If I was Frank, I'd be there and unload on a few guys. Frank has always been outspoken to a fault, please do not disappoint now big guy.

"The honest will be rescued from harm, but those that are crooked will be destroyed."

Proverbs 28:18

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
If it was ever discovered that Frank, intentionally or unintentionally did steroids, I'd be crushed and never watch another game.

If I was chairing the committee, and wanted to send a statement that steroids are bad, and grab some headlines, I'd want a victim to testify. Someone who worked hard, did it the right way, and was obviously screwed out of his due.

Frank would be at the top of that list. Congressman and Congresswomen, fellow Americans, here is what good genetics and hard work will get you. This is the ultimate that these other guys could not get to, so they cheated. Mr. Thomas how do you feel, knowing you lost the 2000 MVP award to an admitted steroid user? If I was Frank, I'd be there and unload on a few guys. Frank has always been outspoken to a fault, please do not disappoint now big guy.

"The honest will be rescued from harm, but those that are crooked will be destroyed."

Proverbs 28:18

Great post Tex.