Albuquerque Bracket

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I can understand that part, he's a very solid player and Turiaf decided to stop playing at half time. I was expecting a close game until I saw Gonzaga absolutely owned TT on the boards, I have no idea why the Zag's decided to stop going inside in the 2nd half. Doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
On another note, I've never seen a player whine as much as Morrison did today. He had 1 freaking foul called on him the entire game and he was whining about that one throwing his arms up in the air. I used to respect him as a player when they compared him to Larry Bird, Larry Bird he is not.

I didn't interpret that as whining at all. He didn't look like he was throwing his arms up in protest to me, but making some kind of gesture toward the bench. Most players when they protest a call hold their arms up with their hands open simulating how they thought they were playing defense. Morrison had his hands closed fisted and didn't give me the impression that it was about the call at all, after the first second or two.

At least that's the way I saw it.....

And nobody is Larry Bird. Morrison is a helluva player though.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
On another note, I've never seen a player whine as much as Morrison did today. He had 1 freaking foul called on him the entire game and he was whining about that one throwing his arms up in the air. I used to respect him as a player when they compared him to Larry Bird, Larry Bird he is not.

Are you old enough remember Larry Bird? He did plenty of whining on his own :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Are you old enough remember Larry Bird?  He did plenty of whining on his own :ph34r:

I am and he was amazing. Yeah, he complained and he was quietly one of the worse trash talkers in the league, but that guy could flat out play. I still remember when he won the NBA 3-pt shooting contest at the All-Star Game without ever taking off his warm up jacket. When it started he looked at all the other guys and asked who planned on coming in 2nd. Then went out and won it in his warmups.

A pure pleasure to watch. For a guy who couldn't run well and couldn't jump, he could do everything else on a basketball floor.

/nostalgic daydream

Edited by Rex Hudler

Yeah I actually started watching sports when I was very young, Larry was getting close to retiring, but I've seen alot of NBA classics also with him playing. I know Morrison isn't Bird, scouts have been comparing him to Larry and I just don't see it. Morrison is skilled at 6'9, but he doesn't have NEARLY the shooting touch Larry did.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Yeah I actually started watching sports when I was very young, Larry was getting close to retiring, but I've seen alot of NBA classics also with him playing. I know Morrison isn't Bird, scouts have been comparing him to Larry and I just don't see it. Morrison is skilled at 6'9, but he doesn't have NEARLY the shooting touch Larry did.

Comparisons to Bird are flattering I am sure, but they aren't fair. I really like Morrison as a player and think he is a great shooter, but there is only one Larry Bird. Just as there is only one Magic Johnson and one Michael Jordan. Certain players are just in a whole other class.

back to reminiscing...

I can barely remember this because I was a youngster at the time, but I remember Bird and Indiana State coming to Evansville in 1979, the year they went undefeated. Evansville had just gone Division I and was trying to recover from the plane crash and knew there was no way to stop Bird. So their coach said he would let Bird do his thing and try to stop everyone else. Bird got 40 or 42 and ISU only beat the Aces by like four points.

/end reminiscing

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)

I saw that play, I thought he was trying to make sure they called it on him, because he didn't have any yet, rather than one of his teammates.

Last year I was complaining about no buzzer beaters -- We still haven't had one this year -- But I'm not going to complain.

Donwey was raining clutch shots. That block, hell that whole play, at the end of overtime was great. Gadney pours in 19 in overtime. OMG.

------

It looks like somebody took a shotgun to the Albuquerque region in my bracket. I don't even remember who I picked in the Louisville/GT game, but rest assured that I'll get that one wrong too tomorrow.

Chicago is pristene though. not a red mark on it.

I'm in great shape in my pools. I had Wake losing this round to Creighton so basically I lost 1 point when everyone else lost a ton, that game was huge for me. I also have ttech and utah in the elite 8 so them both winning was big for me. I still have my whole elite 8 intact, looking good so far, tomorrow is absolutely huge for me.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
I am and he was amazing.  Yeah, he complained and he was quietly one of the worse trash talkers in the league, but that guy could flat out play.  I still remember when he won the NBA 3-pt shooting contest at the All-Star Game without ever taking off his warm up jacket.  When it started he looked at all the other guys and asked who planned on coming in 2nd.  Then went out and won it in his warmups.

A pure pleasure to watch.  For a guy who couldn't run well and couldn't jump, he could do everything else on a basketball floor.

/nostalgic daydream

OH yeah, there is no doubt Larry Legend was something else. Those Celtics teams were something special. It said a lot about their basketball IQs that so many of them are still involved with the sport.