B-Mac

DBAHO

According to Aaron Gleeman of the Hardball Times;

A 17th-round pick out of a community college back in 2002, Brandon McCarthy went 13-8 with a 3.26 ERA and 204-to-30 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 179.1 innings between two levels of rookie-ball during his first two years as a pro. He moved up to low Single-A Kannapolis to start last season and had a 3.64 ERA and 113-to-21 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 94 innings, before going 6-0 with a 2.08 ERA and 60-to-3 (yes, 60-to-3) strikeout-to-walk ratio in eight starts at high Single-A Winston-Salem. McCarthy put the finishing touches on his breakout season by going 3-1 with a 3.46 ERA and 29-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio in four starts at Double-A Birmingham.

McCarthy is sort of like a slightly suped up version of Petit, with a frame (McCarthy is 6'7" and 190 lbs.) and stuff that more closely matches his similarly ridiculous numbers Like Petit, McCarthy spent the bulk of last season in Single-A, before making a brief stop at Double-A to finish the year. Take a look at how their incredible 2004 numbers compare:

IP      ERA      SO  BB  SO/9  BB/9  SO/BB  OAVG

McCarthy    172.0  3.14  202  30  10.6      1.6      6.73  .216

Petit          139.1  2.20  200  41  12.9      2.6      4.88  .172

Petit is a little over a year younger than McCarthy, he had a lower ERA, a higher strikeout rate, and held opponents to a lower batting average. McCarthy went deeper into games, threw more innings, had better control, and his strikeout-to-walk ratio was even more insane than Petit's. In the end, I'm putting McCarthy just ahead of Petit because I think he's more polished at this point and closer to the majors. With the way Ozzie Guillen and the rest of the White Sox have been talking McCarthy up this spring, he could be in Chicago to stay very soon. My only real concern right now is that he gives up a fair number of homers (15 in 172 innings last year) and U.S. Cellular Field is a launching pad.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
My only real concern right now is that he gives up a fair number of homers (15 in 172 innings last year) and U.S. Cellular Field is a launching pad.

Interesting comparison he did, but the HR issue isn't much of a concern to me given one primary fact. BMac doesn't put guys on base. Who cares about solo HR's?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Interesting comparison he did, but the HR issue isn't much of a concern to me given one primary fact.  BMac doesn't put guys on base.  Who cares about solo HR's?

And that is a product of being around the plate a lot. Brad Radke and Mark B give up their fair share of solo shots as well. Plus the waste pitch could be something that Brandon learns as he matures.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
And that is a product of being around the plate a lot.  Brad Radke and Mark B give up their fair share of solo shots as well.  Plus the waste pitch could be something that Brandon learns as he matures.

That and BMac throws a 12-6 curve, often-times for strikes, and when you leave those up on occassion, they can be "crushable"

And that is a product of being around the plate a lot.  Brad Radke and Mark B give up their fair share of solo shots as well.  Plus the waste pitch could be something that Brandon learns as he matures.

Dude, this guy knows everything about how to pitch.

he doesnt have great stuff, but he has great controls AND KNOWS HOW TO PITCH.

I laugh when I read soemthing about him "learning the waste pitch" :chair

I have been studing BMAC now since 2003 and this kid can flat out pitch. I got to see him live 2 starts last year and that 12-6 he has is awsome made some good hitters like Jason Stokes #2 FLA Prospect , Edwin Encarnacion #2 Reds Prospect, Rickie Weeks #1 Brewers and Prince Feilder #2 Brewers prospects look sick. The only hitter BMAC struggled with and most likely hopes never to see again is Josh Barfeild for some reason he really struggled with him 2-2 2 HR's one a Grand Slam in the SL playoffs. I think we hit the Jackpot with BMAC I can't wait to see him pitching at Cell

Tom

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)

Yeah, he is 21 and knows it all. GMAB.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)

You don't have to waste pitches to be successful?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Does anyone else think 15 HR's in 172 IP is not bad at all?

Compared to what the likes of Buerhle and Garland gave up in 2004, no not at all. But that number would definitely go up with those IP at the Cell.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Does anyone else think 15 HR's in 172 IP is not bad at all?

Considering his extremely low walk totals, I'm not that concerned. A solo shot from time to time is not going to hurt too bad.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
Considering his extremely low walk totals, I'm not that concerned.  A solo shot from time to time is not going to hurt too bad.

I don't care if it's a grand slam. One home run for almost every 12 innings pitched is something I will take.