More cause for optimism

southsider2k5

Offensive is the key word too...

As a team the Sox are hitting through 7 games.

.239 ba

.268 obp

.387 slg

.654 ops

3.86 runs/g

With RISP

.175 ba

.208 obp

.408 ops

1 extra base hit

12k's vs 7 hits

And yet this team is 5-2. Does anyone venture to guess where this team would have been last year recordwise? 1-6 or MAYBE 2-5???

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
Offensive is the key word too... 

As a team the Sox are hitting through 7 games.

.239 ba

.268 obp

.387 slg

.654 ops

3.86 runs/g

With RISP

.175 ba

.208 obp

.408 ops

1 extra base hit

12k's vs 7 hits

And yet this team is 5-2.  Does anyone venture to guess where this team would have been last year recordwise?  1-6 or MAYBE 2-5???

I don't know. Considering the quality of our pitching is better than that of last year's, I'd say around the same if not one game better. We'd have Carlos and Maggs producing right now. I'm still happy with this team though.

:gosox3:

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
The pitching has been amazing so far -- as of this morning, we have the best era in the American League, and we're 3rd in strikeouts and whip.  So far it's been very encouraging, let's just keep piling on the wins.

I think that's the plan. (Shhh! It's a top secret plan.)

Didn't last season the Sox have a great record with BA/RISP but had problems getting the runners to scoring position in the 1st place? In any case, it's a positive sign that we've been able to win despite the way our offense has been.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
I don't know. Considering the quality of our pitching is better than that of last year's, I'd say around the same if not one game better. We'd have Carlos and Maggs producing right now. I'm still happy with this team though.

:gosox3:

One full, healthy year of this year's pitching with Frank, Maggs and Lee woulda been ineteresting. Oh well, no point in wondering I guess.

I think our offensive stats are mostly a product of the pitching we've faced so far. Those averages are gonna shoot up once we start facing some below average pitchers. Although, we are gonna need people to hit good pitching if we're gonna really go anywhere.

I'm VERY glad that our pitching is off the hook right now, but we're going to be in trouble if our offense continues to exhibit a .268 OBP, and especially a .208 OBP with RISP. As good as our pitching may be, they need more run support.

I'm expecting things to kind of even out of the next couple weeks, where our guys will start driving in more runs but our pitching will sink a little below the "stellar" level. The end result will be the same, though. ;)

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm VERY glad that our pitching is off the hook right now, but we're going to be in trouble if our offense continues to exhibit a .268 OBP, and especially a .208 OBP with RISP.  As good as our pitching may be, they need more run support.

I'm expecting things to kind of even out of the next couple weeks, where our guys will start driving in more runs but our pitching will sink a little below the "stellar" level.  The end result will be the same, though. ;)

If the end result is a 5 out of 7 success rate, I'm sure we'll be happy with that. Most of us, anyway.