Here kitty, kitty...

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Gotcha..

Well.. I stick by my initial suggestion.. collar your cats if they are outside.

I agree that it would be best to collar/tag outdoor cats. One of mine goes outside every now and again (and I'm out there watching him), so I don't bother putting anything around his neck.

My point is that, from what I read in this article, they're doing a very poor job of differentiating feral and domesticated outdoor cats. In addition, outdoor cats tend to roam quite a bit and I don't see how these "hunters" are going to be able to see a collar on a cat that's, say, hiding in a bush. Frankly, I think that many of them wouldn't even care enough to check.

If the feral cat problem is THAT bad, it would be better just to outlaw "outdoor cats" from traveling past one's premesis. That way, they could effectively deal with the problem without putting domesticated pets at risk.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think this is that bad of an idea. There are a number of cats (and one stray dog that animal control can't seem to do anything about) that roam around our neighborhood that I would love to shoot if given the chance. They growl and fight and have sex (and they're not quiet while doing that either) all night long right outside my damn bedroom window. Then it gets the neighborhood dogs going and nobody can sleep.

For all the cat-lovers there are two choices. First, keep your cats indoors. They live longer that way anyway. Second, get a collar.

Honestly, this really isn't that much different than the hundreds of strays that get picked up by animal control, sit in a cage for a week or so and then are put to sleep because nobody claims/adopts them. There is a definite over-population of cats.

Interesting arguments.

In my city it is just against the rules to let your cats roam around. I guess it was beginning to be a problem with cats killing birds all over the place and running around in people's yards constantly. You can actually get a cat trap and if you catch one can give it to the humane society, I think the owner gets fined or something. If you're cat is going to out and about it has to be on a leash like a dog.

Frankly cats running around never bothered me but they're always getting hit by cars and people were obviously mad about it.

P.S. There were 2 cats outside my window mating or fighting not sure which and it was so bloody loud one morning. Pissed me clean off.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
In my city it is just against the rules to let your cats roam around.

IMO, that would be a better option than allowing cats to be "hunted." After someone's collared/tagged pet is accidentally shot, the lawsuits will begin.

P.S. There were 2 cats outside my window mating or fighting not sure which and it was so bloody loud one morning.  Pissed me clean off.

Someone else brought up this argument and I disagree. My next-door-neighbor's dog makes a hell of a lot more noise than any cat I've heard. So, are we supposed to pass legislation that makes owners keep their dogs inside with the windows constantly shut?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Someone else brought up this argument and I disagree.  My next-door-neighbor's dog makes a hell of a lot more noise than any cat I've heard.  So, are we supposed to pass legislation that makes owners keep their dogs inside with the windows constantly shut?

I'm not making an argument. Just saying that cats can be noisy as hell sometimes too, but dogs are far worse for noise at night.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
IMO, that would be a better option than allowing cats to be "hunted."  After someone's collared/tagged pet is accidentally shot, the lawsuits will begin.

Someone else brought up this argument and I disagree.  My next-door-neighbor's dog makes a hell of a lot more noise than any cat I've heard.  So, are we supposed to pass legislation that makes owners keep their dogs inside with the windows constantly shut?

Actually, I'm pretty sure many cities have laws about excessive barking/noise made by dogs. It's usually much easier to deal with a dog because you know exactly who it belongs to.

With a cat, most of the time you have no idea if it belongs to anyone at all. And trust me, when cats are mating they make a hell of a lot more noise than any dog I've ever heard...

Moot point now...

Wis. Governor Rejects Cat-Hunting Idea

BY RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press Writer

MADISON, Wis. - A proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats is not going to succeed, Gov. Jim Doyle said Wednesday.

"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot cats," said Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat. "What it does is sort of hold us up as a state that everybody is kind of laughing at right now."

He told reporters his office had received calls from around the country denouncing a proposal adopted Monday at meetings of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, a public advisory group, that would classify wild, free-roaming cats as an unprotected species that kills song birds and other wildlife.

Outdoor enthusiasts approved the proposal 6,830 to 5,201 at Monday's spring hearings of the group.

The results get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board for consideration, but any official action would have to be passed by the Legislature and signed by the governor.

Animal rights groups belittled the idea as inhumane and dangerous.

Doyle said he respects the Conservation Congress but "on this one I think everybody recognizes it's not going anywhere."

Some experts estimate that 2 million wild cats roam Wisconsin, and the state says studies show feral cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds a year.

South Dakota and Minnesota both allow wild cats to be shot.

Two state senators — Scott Fitzgerald and Neil Kedzie — had promised to do everything they can to keep the plan from becoming law.

Kedzie, who chairs the Natural Resources and Transportation Committee, called the issue "a distraction from the main tasks we have at hand."

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
I'm pretty sure it's a fine anywhere to not have an outdoor cat tagged. Mine are indoor cats but we have their tags on them just in case they ever get out.

Both of our cats have tags and that tiny microchip inside them, in case they get lost.

And if they act bad, I can use use the microchip to blow them up!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Little does their fine governor know that we have been laughing at them for a lot longer than right now...

I didn't have time to laugh. I was to busy getting told I'm not a good person. ;)