And That's A White Sox Winner!!!!!!!

letsgoarow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Just got home from the game.  I am so glad we won, and Carl and Joe had great games... but that has to be the most frustrating game I have ever attended.  Contreras was absolutely painful to watch, and I felt sorry for him.  He did try to battle, but man was he bad.

3 most important things I noticed:

Podsednik is still favoring his groin.

Dye has no confidence right now.

Carl Everett can be the Leader of this team.

Regarding Contreras....

What the hell takes him so long to hook up with AJ for?? I mean s*** it's like theres 15-25 seconds between every pitch. Slows down the game for everyone...

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
here's hoping this is not the case....but I'm losing confidence in him as well.

Shingo = Byung Yun Kim

No way, Mauer just owns him, he has from his first at bat. I think he is like 2 for 2 with 2 bombs, I called it before he hit it out. He just owns him. Other than that, shingo looked good.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
Regarding Contreras....

What the hell takes him so long to hook up with AJ for??  I mean s*** it's like theres 15-25 seconds between every pitch.  Slows down the game for everyone...

Contreras = "The Anti-Buerhle"

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Regarding Contreras....

What the hell takes him so long to hook up with AJ for??  I mean s*** it's like theres 15-25 seconds between every pitch.  Slows down the game for everyone...

He keeps wanting to call the same pitch over and over (the splitter) and AJ won't let him. That's why he kept shaking him off. AJ was making him throw a bigger variety of pitches, which is probably what kept him from getting shelled. Normally he falls in love with the splitter then goes to the fastball when that doesn't work. Last night he mixed in curves and changes, along with that drop down motion curve.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
He keeps wanting to call the same pitch over and over (the splitter) and AJ won't let him.  That's why he kept shaking him off.  AJ was making him throw a bigger variety of pitches, which is probably what kept him from getting shelled.  Normally he falls in love with the splitter then goes to the fastball when that doesn't work.  Last night he mixed in curves and changes, along with that drop down motion curve.

If that's the case, AJ needs to keep doing it. This is an area that Ozzie and Coop need to intercede and tell Contreras to pitch whatever pitch is called.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
He keeps wanting to call the same pitch over and over (the splitter) and AJ won't let him.  That's why he kept shaking him off.  AJ was making him throw a bigger variety of pitches, which is probably what kept him from getting shelled.  Normally he falls in love with the splitter then goes to the fastball when that doesn't work.  Last night he mixed in curves and changes, along with that drop down motion curve.

I really think he needs to pick up the pace...

I found this from an article written last year about MB's fast pace and agree 100%

"Most guys who work slow are out there walking around, thinking about a bad pitch they just made, or a bad play behind them," says Tigers pitching coach Bob Cluck. "They tend to dwell on the negative, and that's not how you want to pitch."

A slow approach can take away a pitcher's advantage of setting up a hitter. Pitchers aim to keep hitters off-balance by mixing their pitches, such as following a fastball with a change-up. But when the White Sox's Jose Contreras dawdles between deliveries, the effect his 95-mph fastball can have on his split-finger fastball is lost. Cluck puts the cutoff at 13 seconds for one pitch being able to affect the next one. "It would seem to be an individual thing depending on the hitter," Cluck says of the 13-second figure, "but I do a lot of reading and have seen scientific evidence that if you throw a fastball and follow with a change-up, the faster you can get the pitch up there, the bigger the difference will seem."

Grip-it-and-rip-it attitude a winning formula

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I really think he needs to pick up the pace...

I found this from an article written last year about MB's fast pace and agree 100%

"Most guys who work slow are out there walking around, thinking about a bad pitch they just made, or a bad play behind them," says Tigers pitching coach Bob Cluck. "They tend to dwell on the negative, and that's not how you want to pitch."

A slow approach can take away a pitcher's advantage of setting up a hitter. Pitchers aim to keep hitters off-balance by mixing their pitches, such as following a fastball with a change-up. But when the White Sox's Jose Contreras dawdles between deliveries, the effect his 95-mph fastball can have on his split-finger fastball is lost. Cluck puts the cutoff at 13 seconds for one pitch being able to affect the next one. "It would seem to be an individual thing depending on the hitter," Cluck says of the 13-second figure, "but I do a lot of reading and have seen scientific evidence that if you throw a fastball and follow with a change-up, the faster you can get the pitch up there, the bigger the difference will seem."

Grip-it-and-rip-it attitude a winning formula

He does need to pick up the pace. If he would get shaking of AJ, he would be fine.