Bad Representation

Wong & Owens

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
From reading here and over at WSI, it was a nasty drunken crowd last nite.

I try to avoid Monday and Tuesday nites, but went to a couple last year and it was an ugly environment.  It would be nice to say it's all the fault of the goofy Cub fans who come over to start trouble, but that's not the whole story.

There is definitely a large white trash element present on these 1/2 price nights.  I see packs of young people, mostly wearing their dirty baseball caps backwards or sideways, literally bumping into people and looking to cause trouble.  I'm not picking on young people here because stupidity has no age restrictions, but there is a huge poplulation of dirtbags at the ballpark on those nights.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes tonite with the 2 for 1 special in the upper deck only.  The Sox need to look long and hard at this issue.

We'll Steve and I are coming tonight, so watch out. Maybe i'll even turn my hat sideways.

Anyway, monday and tuesday games definitely bring a different crowd. I'll never forget the KC game 2 years ago where i saw about 5-6 different fights in the upper deck. I was ashamed to be a Sox fan that night, and i remember ranting about it. It just looks so terrible. A night at the park is supposed to be fun and relaxing, and some people make it anything but. I feel bad for people who have kids there. I mean i'm with friends my age and i still can't stand seeing it. I'd hate to have a son there.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to point out that there are jerkoffs from Naperville, Evanston, and Barrington just as well as there are from a "trailer park".

No doubt about it. No geographical restrictions, no age restrictions either.

Whenever I go to some other team's stadium, I never wear my Sox stuff (or Hawks or Bears).

I much prefer to quietly root for my team, check out the ballpark, and stay out of trouble. My dad suggested this approach to me a long time ago, and I've always agreed with his logic and I'm grateful he made his point clear.

I've seen too many innocent fans take abuse, physical and otherwise, while wearing opposition hats and jerseys. There are too many nuts just looking to pick a fight, why give them a reason.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Whenever I go to some other team's stadium, I never wear my Sox stuff (or Hawks or Bears).

I much prefer to quietly root for my team, check out the ballpark, and stay out of trouble.  My dad suggested this approach to me a long time ago, and I've always agreed with his logic and I'm grateful he made his point clear.

I've seen too many innocent fans take abuse, physical and otherwise, while wearing opposition hats and jerseys.  There are too many nuts just looking to pick a fight, why give them a reason.

I will wear my stuff to other's teams stadiums...if my team is playing. It's taking pride in your team. I do this with the Illini all the time. The apparel itself doesn't get you in trouble. It's how you act. If you're throwing f bombs around to thousands of people around you, you might be in for a long night. If you just cheer for your team...usually aren't many problems.

I won't, however, wear stuff if my team isn't playing. Keeps you out of a lot of trouble, from what i can tell.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)

I much prefer to quietly root for my team, check out the ballpark, and stay out of trouble.  My dad suggested this approach to me a long time ago, and I've always agreed with his logic and I'm grateful he made his point clear.

I've seen too many innocent fans take abuse, physical and otherwise, while wearing opposition hats and jerseys.  There are too many nuts just looking to pick a fight, why give them a reason.

I saw the Sox at Arlington last year, while wearing a Sox cap. I had a wonderful time. Talked some friendly trash to a few fans. But, we were laughing, talking baseball and enjoying baseball. If you go to an opposing stadium acting like a moron, you'll attract morons.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Whenever I go to the Urinal I wear something with "Sox" on it (shirt or hat).

Why? I mean if you're there to watch a baseball game and not start trouble...then why do it?? It just asking for an argument/fight. If the Sox are playing then it's a different story...but if its the Cubs and Astros why wear a white sox shirt??

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Why?  I mean if you're there to watch a baseball game and not start trouble...then why do it??  It just asking for an argument/fight.  If the Sox are playing then it's a different story...but if its the Cubs and Astros why wear a white sox shirt??

Because I want to. And I've never had a problem other than some friendly banter. And I've always been in the obnoxious bleachers.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Why?  I mean if you're there to watch a baseball game and not start trouble...then why do it??  It just asking for an argument/fight.  If the Sox are playing then it's a different story...but if its the Cubs and Astros why wear a white sox shirt??

I kind of see where you are coming from, but when I go to a Wolves game I will occasionally where either my Cyclones or Hurricanes' jersey. An occasional Wolves' fan will give me a look (they used to be rivals back in their IHL days). It isn't a true rivalry, but just noting about wearing a jersey for a team that isn't playing. :unsure:

The apparel itself doesn't get you in trouble. It's how you act.

Nice sentiment, and in general I agree.

However, reality is a very different thing. I've never been a target in opposition venues because I don't invite it, nor get out of line.

I've seen fans wearing opposition colors get abused and they didn't do anything to provoke it ... other than waving a red flag in front of a bull.

It's perfectly fine to show team pride and there's nothing wrong with wearing Sox stuff to another stadium. The reality is, though, you heighten the chance of getting into a problem ... big time.

Some people are good at diffusing a potential problem, some aren't. Some others never get the chance to diffuse the problem, they just get dumped on.

In addition, some stadium crowds are much more tolerant than others. From the Bad Idea Department: wearing opposition colors to Madison Square Garden and Oakland Coliseum. Very bad idea.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
I just want to point out that there are jerkoffs from Naperville, Evanston, and Barrington just as well as there are from a "trailer park".

You beat me to it, Steff!

I agree you shouldn't be a jerk and provoke others, but not wearing your team's jersey when your team is actually playing??

Even if you don't wear a Sox jersey to say the Metrodome, you're still gonna cheer for the Sox, wouldn't THAT give you away? What's the difference?..... or should we sit quietly at opposing parks too?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
In addition, some stadium crowds are much more tolerant than others.  From the Bad Idea Department:  wearing opposition colors to Madison Square Garden and Oakland Coliseum.  Very bad idea.

As is wearing Boston stuff in NY and vice versa. Jim, I see what you are saying and to be honest I think more often than not opposing teams do hassle visiting fans. Some get lucky and sit in a good area. I only go to Wrigley for Sox games and I wear my stuff there but it's only in the boxes or the company seats which are right behind the Cubs dugout and we never get bothered there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
I was also in left field, I felt the same way last night, not to mention the constant throwing of peanuts at the twins fans behind me. 

That is so unacceptable. For the past four years I was at every series against the Twins at the Rollerdome--and I was never really heckled or harrassed.

I'm embarrassed and sad that it happens by fans of my team..

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
It's perfectly fine to show team pride and there's nothing wrong with wearing Sox stuff to another stadium.  The reality is, though, you heighten the chance of getting into a problem ... big time.

You can say the same about drinking beer.

Cub fans are pretty harmless; stupid, but harmless. And it's not like I sit there and cheer the opposition (outwardly, at least). Plus I'm usually with a group of cub fan friends and I get more s*** from them than strangers.

I have to admit, though, that I haven't been to the Urinal in about 4 years (since the kids came along). The crowd mentality has likely changed since then.

I'd much rather take my little fellas to a Sox game where the scene is not as frenzied and their are less drunks. Plus there's alot more activities for the kids at the Cell.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I agree you shouldn't be a jerk and provoke others, but not wearing your team's jersey when your team is actually playing??

Even if you don't wear a Sox jersey to say the Metrodome, you're still gonna cheer for the Sox, wouldn't THAT give you away? What's the difference?..... or should we sit quietly at opposing parks too?

If my team is playing I wear my jersey...I never said you shouldn't wear it. I wear all my sox gear when the sox play at wrigley and I sit with all the assholes in the bleachers too. However, if you are going to watch two teams of no interest to you...then why bring trouble to yourself by wearing something to piss off the home team.

Now, Im not talking about going to a Diamondbacks vs Rockies game and worrying if it's ok to wear your white sox jersey. Alittle common sense please... Im sure neither fans of those teams give a s*** about the white sox. But if you were a Boston fan and going to Yankees vs Devil Rays game in NY why wear your Boston jersey if not to start some s***?

I agree you shouldn't be a jerk and provoke others, but not wearing your team's jersey??

Even of you don't wear a Sox jersey to say the Metrodome, you're still gonna cheer for the Sox, wouldn't THAT give you away? What's the difference?..... or should we sit quietly at opposing parks too?

All I'm saying is this, in my experience (many years of going to visiting arenas) it is best to keep a low profile.

It actually used to be a lot worse than it is now, there are tons of corporate transferees and tons of fans of other teams living all over the country.

I've never had trouble in a visiting arena but have seen and heard lots of incidents where a Chicago fan gets abused in another stadium. And it's not always because they've been running their mouth. Let's face it, you're a visitor, and outnumbered.

I get the biggest kick out of people (not you, just in general) who get all bent out of shape when an opposing teams fan comes in wearing that teams jersey. Yet, they are the first person to wear their teams jersey in another city. They expect to abuse other fans but when they get abused they get all indignant. Hypocritical.

Blackhawk fans are famous for this, and I am probably the biggest Blackhawk fan of all.

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear whatever they want, it's freedom of expression and all. It's just in my experience, it's not always real smart.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
All I'm saying is this, in my experience (many years of going to visiting arenas) it is best to keep a low profile.

It actually used to be a lot worse than it is now, there are tons of corporate transferees and tons of fans of other teams living all over the country.

I've never had trouble in a visiting arena but have seen and heard lots of incidents where a Chicago fan gets abused in another stadium.  And it's not always because they've been running their mouth.  Let's face it, you're a visitor, and outnumbered.

I get the biggest kick out of people (not you, just in general) who get all bent out of shape when an opposing teams fan comes in wearing that teams jersey.  Yet, they are the first person to wear their teams jersey in another city.  They expect to abuse other fans but when they get abused they get all indignant.  Hypocritical.

Blackhawk fans are famous for this, and I am probably the biggest Blackhawk fan of all.

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear whatever they want, it's freedom of expression and all.  It's just in my experience, it's not always real smart.

Jim.. maybe you have so many problems because you are a troublemaker.. :huh

:lolhitting