Bad Representation

Wong & Owens

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point, it ultimately comes down to the individual, like you said. If you can take a little bit of teasing and can have a sense of humor about it, you'll be fine. If you're a hot head with a chip on your shoulder, there's gonna be probs.

Also, I think HOW you cheer has a lot to do with it. I cheer FOR the Sox not AGAINST the home team, big diff.

Jim.. maybe you have so many problems because you are a troublemaker..  :huh

:lolhitting

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Actually, have never had a problem in an opposing stadium. Was just thinking of how many I've been to ... counting up hockey rinks, football stadiums, and ballparks. Lots. Probably 50 or so.

Of course I have never been to an opposing stadium with quickman, save for a Milwaukee sojourn where we were graciously hosted in a luxury box. :cheers

God help me if he and I ever go on a road trip :fight :lolhitting :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm sorry.. but this is a very unfair assesment of all those that attend Monday night games.. There are plenty of people that know how to behave.

If you can guarantee I'll be surrounded by these well behaved people then I'll reconsider. But I'd rather play the percentages and go on other days (with my kids that is).

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
You can say the same about drinking beer.

Cub fans are pretty harmless; stupid, but harmless.  And it's not like I sit there and cheer the opposition (outwardly, at least).  Plus I'm usually with a group of cub fan friends and I get more s*** from them than strangers.

I have to admit, though, that I haven't been to the Urinal in about 4 years (since the kids came along).  The crowd mentality has likely changed since then.

I'd much rather take my little fellas to a Sox game where the scene is not as frenzied and their are less drunks.  Plus there's alot more activities for the kids at the Cell.

Dont ever take them on half price night. The stadium was filled with what can be called a WWF crowd. The regular and premium games are great, as I am a season ticket holder I get to see all the crowds on different days. But last night was getting pretty out of hand. If anyone saw the fight on the first base side, they know what IM talking about.

I'm sorry.. but this is a very unfair assesment of all those that attend Monday night games.. There are plenty of people that know how to behave.

Yes, agree. Lots who know how to behave, and unfortunately lots who don't.

You know me well enough Steff, I am a big guy and not afraid of much. That I choose to avoid Monday nite games says something. I will rephrase that though and say it depends IMO where you sit. Your seats for example ... I doubt there are problems there ever.

Club level, generally no problems there, unless quickman lips off to the biggest Politte Brother.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)

Sure and I am one of them, but its hard to argue that ALOT of the idiots come out when the tickets are cheap.

SECURITY! SECURITY! MORE!!! SECURITY!!

I brought a Chicago sports fan with me to opening day. He had a blast. He had so much fun he bought tickets for Monday night's game for him and his family. Well, he called me after the game to celebrate the victory with me. Although he really enjoyed the game, the Sox organization should really take note of his comments. He said he was in section 113. In section 111 there was a fight that somebody's nose got busted and was bleeding everywhere. He said "don't take this wrong, because I'm a Sox fan now too, but I can see why there is a stereotype about drunk violent Sox fans." He realized that fights happen everywhere there is alcohol, he wondered where the hell was securtity and why did it take 5 minutes to get there? He also said that he doesn't think his wife will go again and he probably won't bring his daughter anymore. With all of the problems over the years, to not have tight security during 1/2 price drunk fest is unacceptable.

My advice, NO MORE 1/2 price nights unless they are upper deck. Also, MORE SECURITY!!!!

I'm bringing my wife to tonight's game tonight. I hope the violent drunks limit themselves to the upper deck. In fact, I love baseball. I'd be happy if they quit selling alcohol all together.

Someone please post some e-mail addresses for people in the Sox organization so that I can write them.

Sorry about the rant. I know one guy in all of Rockford who I've finally shown that the Sox are a better team. I've conviced him that the negative Sox stuff is Cubune perpetuated crap and now this bulls*** happens.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
SECURITY!  SECURITY!  MORE!!! SECURITY!!

I brought a Chicago sports fan with me to opening day.  He had a blast.  He had so much fun he bought tickets for Monday night's game for him and his family.  Well, he called me after the game to celebrate the victory with me.  Although he really enjoyed the game, the Sox organization should really take note of his comments.  He said he was in section 113.  In section 111 there was a fight that somebody's nose got busted and was bleeding everywhere.  He said "don't take this wrong, because I'm a Sox fan now too, but I can see why there is a stereotype about drunk violent Sox fans."  He realized that fights happen everywhere there is alcohol, he wondered where the hell was securtity and why did it take 5 minutes to get there?  He also said that he doesn't think his wife will go again and he probably won't bring his daughter anymore.  With all of the problems over the years, to not have tight security during 1/2 price drunk fest is unacceptable. 

My advice, NO MORE 1/2 price nights unless they are upper deck. Also, MORE SECURITY!!!! 

I'm bringing my wife to tonight's game tonight.  I hope the violent drunks limit themselves to the upper deck.  In fact, I love baseball.  I'd be happy if they quit selling alcohol all together.

Someone please post some e-mail addresses for people in the Sox organization so that I can write them. 

Sorry about the rant.  I know one guy in all of Rockford who I've finally shown that the Sox are a better team.  I've conviced him that the negative Sox stuff is Cubune perpetuated crap and now this bulls*** happens.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Whenever I go to some other team's stadium, I never wear my Sox stuff (or Hawks or Bears).

I much prefer to quietly root for my team, check out the ballpark, and stay out of trouble.  My dad suggested this approach to me a long time ago, and I've always agreed with his logic and I'm grateful he made his point clear.

I've seen too many innocent fans take abuse, physical and otherwise, while wearing opposition hats and jerseys.  There are too many nuts just looking to pick a fight, why give them a reason.

[translation] I quit going to games with Quickman.

there is nothing wrong with hecklign the other players, thats part of home field advantage. But chanting the cubs crap when they arent even playing the cubs is ridiculous. but please dont complain about people getting on shannon stewart...he is the opposition and id wanna do anything i could to make him uncomftorable

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
well, there ya have it sports fans.

Remember how much it changed last year when they limited beer sales?

I always took 1/2 price night to be for families and kids. It's not for people over 21 who can most likely afford to go to any game. So a simple solution would be to cut off beer after the 4th on those nights. That's enough for dad to have a couple beers and enjoy the game...and its not enough...(at least I hope) to get all the idiots drunk. Yes people will b****...and some won't come to the game anymore, but those are the fans we don't want there anyway.

i was sitting in sec 157 row 14 and some kid got slapped by this steroid face cuz he was tryin to throw peanuts at this twins fan that was sitting next to him.. outfield seats are so much more action packed than those seats behind home plate. i had tickets for section 127 row 7 and i couldnt sit there for more than a half an inning because it was so boring.. :banghead fun crowd though

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I always took 1/2 price night to be for families and kids.  It's not for people over 21 who can most likely afford to go to any game.  So a simple solution would be to cut off beer after the 4th on those nights.  That's enough for dad to have a couple beers and enjoy the game...and its not enough...(at least I hope) to get all the idiots drunk.  Yes people will b****...and some won't come to the game anymore, but those are the fans we don't want there anyway.

Great idea!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Let me try this again, lol. Do they have any beer purchasing restrictions in place this year like they did last year on half price nights?

I don't recall there being any "restrictions" last year.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
I always took 1/2 price night to be for families and kids.  It's not for people over 21 who can most likely afford to go to any game.  So a simple solution would be to cut off beer after the 4th on those nights.  That's enough for dad to have a couple beers and enjoy the game...and its not enough...(at least I hope) to get all the idiots drunk.  Yes people will b****...and some won't come to the game anymore, but those are the fans we don't want there anyway.

Does anyone know if the attendance dipped for half price nights last year AFTER the beer sales crackdown?? Just curious if it has a real effect on the attendance number.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Nice sentiment, and in general I agree.

However, reality is a very different thing.  I've never been a target in opposition venues because I don't invite it, nor get out of line.

I've seen fans wearing opposition colors get abused and they didn't do anything to provoke it ... other than waving a red flag in front of a bull.

It's perfectly fine to show team pride and there's nothing wrong with wearing Sox stuff to another stadium.  The reality is, though, you heighten the chance of getting into a problem ... big time.

Some people are good at diffusing a potential problem, some aren't.  Some others never get the chance to diffuse the problem, they just get dumped on.

In addition, some stadium crowds are much more tolerant than others.  From the Bad Idea Department:  wearing opposition colors to Madison Square Garden and Oakland Coliseum.  Very bad idea.

Not this again

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
If you can guarantee I'll be surrounded by these well behaved people then I'll reconsider.  But I'd rather play the percentages and go on other days (with my kids that is).

Do you also not drive with your kids unless you have a guarantee some asshole isn't going to crash into you...? :huh

I'm sorry.. but come on folks.. common sense tells you not to sit with your kids in the bleachers on Monday nights.. this is going to sound bad no matter how I say it.. and I apologize in advance.. but not going on Mondays because of the crowd is just another in a loooooong line of excuses.

:running and ducking the swings.. :ph34r: