Ordonez calls Sox skipper his 'enemy'

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
So it is with Maggs now.  Maggs at one point or another has pretty trashed everyone and everything about the Chicago White Sox.  But after this there is personal blood involved here.  I think it will be someone close to Oz, which is why I think it will be Garcia that does it.  I think he would be the most likely of the pitching staff to drill Ordonez.

I thought of that after my post. Good point.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I personally hold a grudge against him after what I seen him to a kid when he was a Baron in '96 a kid that I am guessing had Cancer because when he took off his hat he had no hair what so ever and Maggs when this kid asked him nicely for his autograph said " What do you think my time is made of" I know a lot of people loved him but I am glad his true colors are starting to show.

Let's see, if I were Maggs I would be tryin to get under the sox skin to. He has to be somewhat angry that we are doing just fine without him and his team isn't going to do anything in this division.

has anyone seen the homerun totals for the year so far, i do believe the sox are 2nd. :gosox3:

Wow, I just read the tirade at the end in the Sun-Times and he went crazy. It has to be previous knowledge of steroids or something. I don't know how else he could destroy him. Anyway, I don't think Ordonez will be plunked simply because the MLB will suspend him right away and they would have gained nothing.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Wow, I just read the tirade at the end in the Sun-Times and he went crazy. It has to be previous knowledge of steroids or something. I don't know how else he could destroy him. Anyway, I don't think Ordonez will be plunked simply because the MLB will suspend him right away and they would have gained nothing.

I really don't think that Ozzie thinks that rationally, and I think players are going to be pissed off enough about this to drill him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
I really don't think that Ozzie thinks that rationally, and I think players are going to be pissed off enough about this to drill him.

Ozzie knows better than that. If anyone plunks him, it will be someone like Cotts. Someone that we can live without for a couple of days. It's too bad Maggs isn't a 2B, SS or catcher, than we could take him out on the basepaths...

Unless they send Willie out to RF on a pop-up. :bang

Maggs has to be one of the dumbest ball players to play this game. Right now he is begin to come under scrutiny for a mysterious hernia problem. Some are thinking he's making more out of it than is really there to draw attention away from his knee problem. The contract can only be voided if he's on the DL for the knee problem or if he finishes the season on the DL for any problem. Since it's only costing the Tiggers $6M this year there's $69M riding on this.

So what does he do? He continues to talk about his former team to such an extent that it's blatantly obvious to any one that he'd rather be playing in Chicago than Detriot. That's not exactly going to help build endearment from Tigger fans or management & considering they both are having doubts about his integrity & health that's something he really needs to do!

As for Ozzie it's a no lose sit. The tougher he looks the better he looks.

I can't believe I'm reading the stuff I am today pointing out to me just how stupid Maggs is. I'm glad he's gone. He's got some numbers that I think help explain why the Sox had trouble scoring runs consistently:

(02-05)

RON 3rd: .243A, .295O, .324S, .619OPS

RON 2nd, 3rd: .217A, .269O, .478S, .747OPS

RISP, 2 out: .296A, .405O, .485S, .890OPS

(03 - His last good season)

RON 3rd: .100A, .167O, .100S, .267OPS

RON 2nd, 3rd: .111A, .100O, .222S, .322OPS

BL: .286A, .286O, .500S, .786OPS

RISP, 2 out: .263A, .364O, .421S, .785OPS

When you're looking to pay a guy $15M a year you expect that guy to be the team leader in these sits. Maggs is/was never that guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/players/...=5889&year=2003

Take a look at Sox Losses vs Maggs hitless streaks.

Apr 2 143A - Apr 11 308A : Sox 6W-4L

Apr 12 302A - Apr 30 280A : Sox 7W-10L

May 1 295A - May 14 271A : Sox 5W-7L (That kind of a drop = hitless streaks)

May 15 278A - Jun 11 267A : Sox 10W-15L

The Sox were 22W-33L during Maggs weak hitting period.

Jun 12 268A - Jul 4 280A : Sox 13W-8L

Jul 5 282A - Jul 30 327A : Sox 14W-8L

Jul 31 323A - Aug 6 311A : Sox 4W-3L

Aug 8 315A - Sep 28 317A : Sox 26W-22L

He illustrates the BIG problem w the past teams: high dependancy on offense to compensate for great weakness in pitching & fielding.

Defense is best measured by runs saved rather than runs given up. Runs saved is a measure of talent where as runs given up is a measure of sure hands. I'd rather have the talent over the sure hands.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I learned a lot in today's columns:

1) The $70M offer sounds more legit. The $10M deferred does as well.

I have no problem with the Sox setting there best offer at 70M/5 yrs w 10M deferred. Especially in light of what Delgado, Vlad, Drew, & Beltre signed for. Would any of those teams have made such an offer to these players after they went down with a knee injury? I don't think so.

2) Ozzie lobbied the Sox to put Maggs on 40 man roster in 1997. That's a big deal in my eyes.

3) Maggs lobbied against Ozzie being hired as manager. There must be something between them (possibly off-season Venezuela stuff) to cause that to happen.

What a stark contrast to Belle, Burks, Johnson, Lee, Miles, Olivo, Jimenez, Alvarez, Fernandez, Foulke, & all the other ex Sox greats.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Anyone still upset that we didn't re-sign him? 

No?

Didn't think so.

yeah, a little bit. not like this would be happening had he stayed. Maggs is a good ball-player, and Dye is no upgrade, Maggs has been hurt, but his knee isn't the issue.

I have always loved Ozzie. I used to wear 13 in little league because of him. However, I just have a feeling that way too much blame is being put on Mags for all this stuff. I tend to think that Ozzie is more to blame in this mess than Mags. Both need to just shut the f*** up. I am so sick of hearing people talk about players we used to have and how our atmosphere is so much different. I believe that it is true that the chemistry is much better, but enough about. All this crap is ridiculous. If I go see the Tigers play the Sox, I will clap for Mags when he comes to bat... and proceed to hope he strikes out. I would never want to change the way Ozzie is and acts but he needs to start conducting himself more like a manager and learn to have some tact and that taking the high road is sometimes best.

One of the Sox weaknesses over the years is that never played with a chip on their shoulder. I don't think Ozzie should "just take it" from Maggot. I'm glad he reacted the way he did. Lead by example. If Ozzie just takes it, the team will play with that attitude as well.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
I'm glad he reacted the way he did.  Lead by example.

So let me get this straight -- you want every Sox player to go off like Ozzie did when some slight comes up? Reacting is one thing. KW's response to Mientkewfsiozdngnez about the All-Star Game was great. Clever and pointed. Or how the Bulls responded to Gilbert Arenas's comment about 'dirty players' -- noone popped off calling him a pos ten times. What Ozzie did was throw a hissy fit. He needs to grow up, and I'll be disappointed if this "example" becomes the standard practice on the team.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
So let me get this straight -- you want every Sox player to go off like Ozzie did when some slight comes up?  Reacting is one thing.  KW's response to Mientkewfsiozdngnez about the All-Star Game was great.  Clever and pointed.  Or how the Bulls responded to Gilbert Arenas's comment about 'dirty players' -- noone popped off calling him a pos ten times.  What Ozzie did was throw a hissy fit.  He needs to grow up, and I'll be disappointed if this "example" becomes the standard practice on the team.

Read the whole post. That explains my position.

Can I just ask, looking at the team now with their record and everything, are you glad Maggilo Ordonez isn't back with this team, if he had not gotten injured? If he did resign with the team, would have been interesting to see what would have happened with him and Ozzie down the line.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 05:17 AM)
Can I just ask, looking at the team now with their record and everything, are you glad Maggilo Ordonez isn't back with this team, if he had not gotten injured? If he did resign with the team, would have been interesting to see what would have happened with him and Ozzie down the line.

They still wouldn't have met the salary demands, because they wanted to go in a different direction.

Regardless of where things go from here for the Sox, they made the right decision as it turns out.

And funny or not, it's still too bad neither side could go out with class.