gas prices

sec159row2

is it possible to post low gas prices??? whould people drive to save $$ or would they lose the difference in travel.. like kramer and neuman trying to turn in bottles in michigan :D ...

anywho... 137th and cicero.. delta sonic $2.09 with wash... $2.19 without wash... anyone see lower???

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ May 4, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
is it possible to post low gas prices???  whould people drive to save $$ or would they lose the difference in travel..  like kramer and neuman trying to turn in bottles in michigan :D ... 

anywho...  137th and cicero.. delta sonic  $2.09 with wash...  $2.19 without wash...  anyone see lower???

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/USGas_ZipSearch.asp

On a sidenote....The US NEEDS TO BUILD MORE REFINERIES. The damn environmentalist need to step aside and at least let us build one new refinery if not two or three. The biggest reason for these high prices are the fact that the US is already at capacity when it comes to producing the gas.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
On a sidenote....The US NEEDS TO BUILD MORE REFINERIES.  The damn environmentalist need to step aside and at least let us build one new refinery if not two or three.  The biggest reason for these high prices are the fact that the US is already at capacity when it comes to producing the gas.

in a way there is no reason for governments to push more refineries... 'cause gas is taxed so much the gov'ment benefits from higher gas prices...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
On a sidenote....The US NEEDS TO BUILD MORE REFINERIES.

Or... and I know this is a crazy idea... stop the national arguing about an a social security overhaul that's not going to happen anyway and pass some legislation to get auto makers to improve their fuel efficiency.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 4, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
Or... and I know this is a crazy idea... stop the national arguing about an a social security overhaul that's not going to happen anyway and pass some legislation to get auto makers to improve their fuel efficiency.

It's really not necesary. The car companies are getting killed right now because SUV sales have plummetted. Ford and GM are taking a bath on those gas guzzlers, the bigger they are, the biggest the sales drops. Plus the companies who invested in hybrids can't build enough of them. Production is shifting as we speak. As usual, the free market is taking care of business.

I filled up last night $1.02 a litre which is really pretty cheap at the moment. Down here though, a lot of supermarket chains have bought into Petrol Companies, so say if you spend $30 or more at a Coles Supermarket down here, you rip the bottom of the docket off, fill up at a Shell, and you save 4c a litre.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 4, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
Filled up my tank today. Got 35 mpg on the new car. I

My Stratus gets 32 miles to the gallon on the highway. I'm pretty satisfied with that. Still I cringe a little when I have to go to the pump.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
It's really not necesary.  The car companies are getting killed right now because SUV sales have plummetted.  Ford and GM are taking a bath on those gas guzzlers, the bigger they are, the biggest the sales drops. Plus the companies who invested in hybrids can't build enough of them.  Production is shifting as we speak.  As usual, the free market is taking care of business.

If that is true then all I can say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

We wonder why gas prices continue to rise...... we demand more refineries.... we want to tell Middle Eastern companies how much they can charge us......

All, while we keep buying bigger and bigger and less fuel efficient automobiles? In my economics classes, I seemed to have learned that when you have a limited supply, increasing demand is not a good way to keep pricing down.

One can argue that supply is not limited, but in reality it is because we do not control the supply, or at least not enough of it to meet our own demand.

Sure there are other factors involved in short term spikes in prices but until we stop increasing demand, there will be no reason to expect gas prices to go down. Hell, we'll be lucky if they stay flat.

A couple of other tidbits about gas/pricing.....

-- unless something has changed, the government does not benefit from higher gas prices. The tax on gasoline is not based on a % of the sales price it is a set amount per barrel of oil, per gallon of gas.

-- Gas stations themselves rarely make much money in times like these. When you see the prices rise at the pump, you can almost guarantee that their cost is rising. I can't speak for every market in the country, but I do know that the margin on a gallon of gasoline is small. Most often stations sell at approx. 8 to 10 cents per gallon above cost. Many times it is less and at times they are even selling at below costs due to competitive factors.

-- For those that fill up often, or businesses that rely run service trucks, I can see being very attentive to pricing. But for the average driver, is it really worth driving an extra mile or two to save a nickel a gallon? That's only a 75-cent savings on a 15 gallon tank. $1.50 on a 30 gallong tank (have no idea what size tanks some trucks have). I fill up about every 10-14 days. My time is worth more than a couple bucks a month. But that's just me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
On a sidenote....The US NEEDS TO BUILD MORE REFINERIES.  The damn environmentalist need to step aside and at least let us build one new refinery if not two or three.  The biggest reason for these high prices are the fact that the US is already at capacity when it comes to producing the gas.

Environmentalists have nothing to do with the lack of refineries. Current projected cost for a new refinery is over a billion dollars. The only thing that is economically feasible is to expand current refineries. Don’t blame environmentalists, blame the oil companies for not investing in new refineries.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 4, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
My Stratus gets 32 miles to the gallon on the highway.  I'm pretty satisfied with that.  Still I cringe a little when I have to go to the pump.

About a month ago I was driving a Taurus (aka gas sucking monster). I still wince a little at gas prices--but I only spend about 20 bucks every other week on gas. So, I don't mind.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
About a month ago I was driving a Taurus (aka gas sucking monster). I still wince a little at gas prices--but I only spend about 20 bucks every other week on gas. So, I don't mind.

LOL if you think a Taurus is bad. s*** my Grand Marquis cost $25 a tank and it gets 110 miles before the low fuel light comes on.